1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Decent 'Wrong Boy-Who-Lived'/Alive Potters stories?

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Jormungandr, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

For many of us, some of the slash aversion is definitely down to not wanting to read about m/m homosexuality - there's really no denying it, IMO. Not all of us, but definitely a good chunk. But that's not the only reason. A little mental exercise for you fellas (put in a spoiler box for those who haven't read Joe's Wastelands of Time):

Most of you have read Joe's Harry Potter and the Wastelands of Time. In one of Harry's trips back to the past, he pretty much runs away from everything, finds his way to Australia, and eventually becomes intimate with a girl named Tessa.

Imagine if, instead of falling in love with Tessa in Australia, Harry fell in love with some guy named Terry. It's a bizarre thought, but Harry's made the trip back into the past so many times that his character isn't quite the same as it originally was. I think there's enough wiggle room for a writer as talented as Joe to make it convincing.

Otherwise, imagine the fic is identical to its actual form, just with the occasional reference to Terry instead of Tessa. Would that amount of slash suddenly make the fic horrible and unreadable? For my part, definitely no - it'd still be one of the best fics to come out of this site.

What I'm trying to get at is that there's very few people out there who write the sort of subject matter that DLPers like, and also write slash relationships. The only slashfic that I've seen get much attention at this site is the aforementioned Sacrifices series, and that's supposedly an endless angstfest (which DLPers don't tend to like, slash or no slash). Case in point.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  3. Archer

Archer Fourth Year DLP Supporter

I don't like slash fanfiction because I don't want to read about two guys being together.

Gay people can be together for all I care, I just don't want to know the details.

4. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

From author like Joe, with proper reasoning, and not overly descriptive? I think I could accept it.

I just don't want to read about character I'm identifying with doing things I can't stand (enjoying getting his ass fucked, letting some bitch, like Hermione, walk all over him, etc.).

5. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

People need to let this go, with a quickness. Midknight does the same thing in just about every one of his posts. Everybody sees it, yet no one says a thing. So until you're ready to direct your righteous anger at him, you really just look like a chump (with a nosebleed) by raging at the non-mod.

On derail:If an author like Joe wrote a slashfic, I can't honestly say that I wouldn't give it a look. But authors like Joe don't write slash. Simple as.

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Except, apparently, you :p

And, if my previous post wasn't enough of a hint, because of aforementioned problems with identifying with the protagonist, I'm fairly sure that I'd not enjoy a slash story, no matter how talented the author.

Even Joe.

7. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

If "Terry" was backgrounded to the level that Tessa was, I don't think that I'd care.

Also, add Hermione/Draco and Severus/anybody to the list of fics that I point-blank refuse to read. That shit is often worse than slash.

8. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Maybe it's just me, but didn't Andromalius write a very long, distinctive post in a thread that discussed this slash derail... could have sworn...

Oh yeah, there it is.

9. Shymer

Shymer Third Year

Back on the Decent WBWL/Alive Potter story topic: Antithesis by Wind Whisperer on ff.net.

10. b0b3rt

b0b3rt Backtraced

@Shymer: Thanks for the rec; so far the plot looks pretty average but the writing isn't half-bad and I'll see if it's worth reading in a few chapters, I guess.

11. Hw597

Hw597 Seventh Year

I second the recommendation of lightning on the wave's fics. It was a long time ago but I credit her for the pure amount of effort and imagination that went into those stories. I am fairly certain she started a lot of the trends that we still see now.

The writing isn't bad and if you can't stomach the slash, you can still make it up to the fourth. Can anyone confirm or deny that it was the first proper "other boy who lived"

p.s. I think that writing quality and reader expectation has gone up over time, so my memory of the fics is probably a little generous.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  12. b0b3rt

b0b3rt Backtraced

She probably wasn't the very first, but her's was definitely the most complete at the time. And is likely still the most complete.

13. silvanatri

silvanatri Second Year

Who is this santi, i can't find him in ff.net search.

14. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

Google search is your friend. Or just perusing the forums or the members list. It's ridiculously easy to find him.

Be that as it may his story is on the front page of the forums if you scroll down. Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived. He goes by pureb99 on ffn.

15. silvanatri

silvanatri Second Year

oh, pureb99, i have read his story, one of my favorites atm. Can't wait till he updates again.

16. Hw597

Hw597 Seventh Year

on the slash stuff. I actually can't stand romance in general and slash tends to be very overdone. The fact it is slash doesn't bother me in the slightest as long as it is logical pairing in the framework of the story.

Oh and I read a brilliant dumbledore slash fic (basically hinted at and not particularly important to the story.) If only I could remember the name.

17. Mutt

Mutt High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Jaded Brothers: Trials of Magic was really good when I read it (though that was a while ago, so I don't know if I'd like it now). It's been abandoned for two years and has quite a bit of angst, but it's the only one I can come up with.

18. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

I honestly don't mind reading a slash fic as long as it's written very well (an extreme rarity), and it doesn't contain pairings that are auto!fail such as HP/DM, HP/SS, HP/LV, etc.

I actually read a rather decent Harry Potter/Death Note crossover recently that had a HP/L pairing. Even though there was a somewhat explicit sex scene later on in the story, it was good enough that I was able to just skim right past it and go on to the next part.

19. b0b3rt

b0b3rt Backtraced

So I started reading Jaded Brothers, and...
    WHAT THE FUCK
    Dumbledore has James and Lily send Harry to an orphanage at 8 years old BECAUSE HE'S AFRAID THAT HARRY MIGHT GET JEALOUS FROM THE TRAINING THAT HIS BROTHER GETS?

THAT ISN'T EVEN A RIDICULOUSLY CONTRIVED PLOT DEVICE, THAT'S A WTF- MYBRAINISMELTINGARGHHHHHHHHHH

20. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

Why are you surprised? 99% of the WBL and Azkaban genre clone the same BAD cliches. As if the writers don't even reflect about their settings, as long as somebody else used it before they can avoid using their own brain.