1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Decent 'Wrong Boy-Who-Lived'/Alive Potters stories?

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Jormungandr, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Shymer

Shymer Third Year

-Try The King by seraph orion black, it's an alive Potters story with a badass non-BWL big brother Harry.

I think the author try his hand at a new writing style so it's a bit confusing, when you read the 1st chapter, you're in a "huh...what?" state of mind, and I understand that a lot of people want to stop reading just there, but I recommend you to read the all 9 published chapters before giving a opinion.

-The Rise of darkness by dart93, funny to read, Dark Harry.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  2. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Heh, point me toward danger, Blaise; I'm ready.

I don't read every post of every thread here, and sometimes I can't be arsed to say anything. I'm lazy that way. It was the multiple instances, with multiple varieties thereof, within a single paragraph of Ichor's post that made me bother. And, even then, I couldn't be bothered to hunt down one of my own posts on the subject to link to; I linked to a post commenting on a post.

Anyway, I don't point out mistakes to shame anyone (I save that for FFN reviews :p), but I do point them out so everyone can see it, and, if they're prone to making the same error themselves, everyone can correct themselves. This is why I don't simply use a PM for such matters (that and I rarely ever PM anyone without them PMing me first).

In other words, and for future reference, if I mention a correction (as long as I'm actually right), know that it applies to everyone from the pope and the leaders of the free world, right on down to the friggin' shoe shine boy, if they're making the same mistake. Yes, Midknight too.

Kind of like gravity or death, except that those are two things that can enforce themselves, rather than people choosing whether or not to acknowledge them.

I'm not enough of a prig that I'm ignorant of the possibility of making an annoying twat of myself by posting specifically about people's grammatical errors all the time. It would be obnoxious, and not even I have that kind of free time (and I understand people get lazy when 'casually posting' and that I'm guilty there too).

It also depends on the thread. For instance, I wouldn't have bothered wasting more than the one post on the subject in this thread, but you had to go and imply that when and where I correct someone has more to do with my cojones -or lack thereof- than my principles (or, less nobly, my irritation at any given moment).

Also, if I'm going to derail a thread, I'd at least like the derail to be interesting/funny (or even educational). Your post and this reply, in my estimation, don't qualify as any of those things.

In short, no pun intended, I think your post had more to do with dick-waving than any actual concern that I wasn't spreading my love around equally, so wave your dick at someone else, because I think dick-waving looks silly, and try like hell not to engage in anything that could be mistaken for it.

3. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Good grief.

1. "I don't read every thread" =/= "I didn't know Midknight does it."

2. It isn't concern, but it isn't dick-waving either. The fact that you could of (YEAH I WENT THERE LOL) linked to yet another post where you commiserated about how much ire "could of/should of" inspires - let alone found a post you made about a post about said grammatical error, means that you definitely need to let it go. Your preaching isn't working.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  4. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    To get back closer to topic, Digifruit (known for his Naruto fanfic) just posted this one. I'm only a few thousand words into it, but it seems decent so far:

New story from DigiFruit,
    Title: Sanctuary
    Category: Harry Potter
    Character(s): Harry P. & Hermione G.
    Words: 22,679
    Genre(s): Romance/Drama
    Rating: Rated: M
    Summary: After Harry nicks a Time-Turner in order to save Sirius, reality starts shifting around him. One day, he's not the Boy Who Lived, and the next, magic doesn't even exist. So Harry, being the only one aware of it, sets out to find out what went wrong

URL: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6631603/1/

5. Archer

Archer Fourth Year DLP Supporter

Why are they all Harry/Hermione?

6. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Would you prefer it to be Harry/Ginny and/or Ron/Hermione?

Thanks for the links, all!

7. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

8. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Just loaded it up; no error here.

9. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Bob3rt should just go back to lurking imho... I can't read any of his posts without facepalming.

10. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Works for me now, too. Temporary error, I guess.

11. b0b3rt

b0b3rt Backtraced

Lord anarchy should go back to firebot where he belongs.

12. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

Just curious Taure, why would you waste your time reading 3 million words of bad fanfic. I respect you as a Harry Potter scholar but don't you have far better/interesting/productive things to do with your time?

13. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

Now that he's read it, those three million words will have affected his existence forever. He'll eventually forget almost everything about it (if he hasn't already), but even so, the remnants will have have changed his mind and, indeed, the very course of his life.

If it were possible, perhaps he'd go back and tell himself not to waste so many hours reading that fic. Maybe find a good book instead, or bone up on his law or history. But it's a good thing he can't go back and change that. Worlds may be turning around him as we speak.

You see, one day he'll be driving along the road. He'll come to a stop at an intersection, and see two men standing off to the side, holding hands and making googly eyes at each other like a pair of hormone-laden teenagers. He'll shake his head, and maybe think, "Jesus H. Christ - what is this, the Sacrifices arc?!"

Just a single thought that wouldn't have been there without reading that story. A thought that delays his progress out of the intersection by an additional half second. A half second in which he'll have time to see the little girl that ran out into the street, chasing her ball. A little girl who will now live, instead of having the life crushed out of her under the tires of Taure's nondescript automobile.

The girl won't be important by herself. But she'll grow up, get married, and give birth to a daughter or son. And in his time, after he's come into the prime of his life and the peak of his mental faculties, the beauty of the world will fall under assault. The forests and meadows of the world will darken and die, brought down by some unnameable Cthulhuian horror. Or maybe a group of especially shitty politicians. OK, probably the second one.

And the man will stand against the horror, and find that he has the strength within himself to turn back the darkness. To save us all, and to save the beauty of the world. And all of it - every last bit of it - will live because a man with the alias of Taure read three million words of angsty crapslashfic.

If Albus Dumbledore existed, no doubt he'd be able to explain this with elegant simplicity and piercing poignancy.

...and then he'd go back to his office to finish that charming Aragorn/Boromir slash story he'd started.

14. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Well...shit? Butterfly effect, anyone?

15. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

...for exactly (exactly) 2/47ths of a second, I was thankful for a slash author.

HOW DAAAAAARE YOU, BLAZANNO!

16. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Well, there is also a possibility that if Taure didn't read this fic, there would be no future danger to our beautiful world in the first place. He doomed and saved us at the same time ;) .

17. addictedforlife

addictedforlife High Inquisitor

Don't be. Be thankful to Taure.

18. Palurien

Palurien Third Year DLP Supporter

Cant see that anyone have mentioned this yet; There is a story about the Potters surviving the attack and Dumbledore announces Harry's brother as the BWL. The major difference in this compared to other fics is that James for once is not retarded and does not belive Dumbledore, and refuses to send Harry to Petunia (or an orphanage, cant remember which). Instead he takes both boys back to Potter Manor, where he intends to raise them properly. Lily is revealed to only have married James for the prestige and James sends her to an abandoned cottage someplace in Europe where she is left to rot.

It's been a while since I read it so the rest of the details are rather dim. I cant remember if it is an oneshot or a short story, but if anyone have the link or name of the story it would be appreciated.

19. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Yeah, I remember this story. Though I can't help you locating it. I thought it was a pretty good story. I don't remember if it was abandoned or not, but I think it was. Good story though, wish I could read it again.

20. Palurien

Palurien Third Year DLP Supporter

I am pretty sure it was completed the last time I read it. Voldemort was dead at least, and there was something about what the boys grew up to be.