1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Sony NGP (PSP2) Unveiled

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Lutris, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

IGN Sauce

Youtube video. Skip to about 9ish minutes for actual demo gameplay. Ignore the Japanese commentary.

[​IMG]

So the rumored PSP2 has finally been announced at the PS Meeting 2011 earlier today (Jan 27), as the NGP, or Next Generation Portable.

Let me just get my gushing fanboyism out first.

Oh. My. God. This shit is Awesome.

Ahem.

To paraphrase:

-A quad-core processor that enables near-PS3 level graphics rendering.
    -Two analog sticks.
    -New game medium (supposedly flash memory to enable DLC content directly onto your games, amongst other things).
    -5 inch 16:9 OLED Multitouch screen with 960x544 high-def resolution.
    -A touch panel on the back for greater immersion.
    -6-Axis gyro sensor.
    -3-axis acceleration sensor.
    -3-axis electronic compass.
    -Two cameras (rear and front) that allow the NGP to immediately ascertain your location and what sort of place you're in.
    -3G/Wifi Connectivity
    -GPS
    -A function called the Live Area which supports international data-sharing and game networking automatically.

Although it's a safe bet that this'll cost a fair bit of coin, I'm most definitely going to get this when it comes out later this year. No date has been officially set, but Sony assures us that it'll be in stores in time for the holiday season.

A first look in the conference has slated titles such as Uncharted, Call of Duty, and Metal Gear Solid 4 for release. The gameplay video I linked has footage of an Uncharted demo, which looks fucking epic already.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  2. w1lliam

w1lliam Groundskeeper

It better come out before summer with the above mentioned titles if it's going to get any traction rather than november where Nvidia will be showing their Tegra 3, which is the same quad-core processor and better graphics.

3. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

Quoted for emphasis.

4. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Holy shit...

...good thing my brother agreed to keep his PS3 here, as opposed to buying my own. This little thing is awesome, and I wouldn't be surprised if it cut into their PS3 demographic a bit.

5. JimmyCranberry

JimmyCranberry High Inquisitor

Looks absolutely epic. This far, far exceeds my expectations of it when I saw the rumours. Uncharted looked quality (from what they showed), too.

Only worry from here is the price tag...

6. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I'd guess it would cost around 300 dollars.

7. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

I hope the analog sticks are of much better quality than the original PSP's. Trying to read something and having the cursor wander across the screen is a pain in the ass. <_<

8. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

No less than 399 is my prediction. A 5'' touchscreen, second touch pad, and the power they're packing is insane. They're already going to be selling at a loss.

9. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

10. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

--> successful piracy --> low sales numbers --> less interest from game developers --> fewer good games --> disappoint

11. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Nah, World. Sony is actually really good about piracy on their systems. I haven't checked in a while, but no one has hacked the newest PSP's because of some hardware change Sony introduced into the motherboard. And even with the older PSP's it was a bitch to hack, since you either needed an already hacked PSP, or you needed to order a special battery in order to hack it.

And the PS3 has just been hacked after years of being out.

Most people who use consoles aren't going to hack them. Game developers are much more wary of PC games than consoles.

12. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Ar, true actually. I had in my mind that the PSP was a haven for pirated games and it affected its sales, but I can't substantiate it. Though the fact that the PS3 has been pretty safe for nearly all the time should have come to mind...

13. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Because it was in fact, a haven for piracy. Even before the new ps3 key debacle (in which it was found that sony stupidly stored both the PS3 and the PSP's root keys on the same console), there were still tons of ways to crack the psp into running pirated software. Many of them didn't even involve hardmods.

Now, whether or not that actually affected sales is beyond me. I'd wager on no, as looking at other platforms shows that a piece of hardware can be pirate central, and still sell amazingly well (I'm looking at you, DS).

My personal opinion on the new PSP-Meh. Sony will either have to price this outrageously, or sell it at a huge loss. Hopefully this means that they'll be able to get a bunch of developers on board to protect their investment, but I'm not so sure. They've made too many mistakes with the platform lately for me to trust them.

I'll wait a year after release to buy if it has a strong game lineup.

14. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

It looks sexy as all get out. But I thought the same thing when the PSP first came out. I had no use for it, mainly because I don't live in a city that offers time to play in the work day. If I had a commute or had to ride buses for awhile i might consider it, but in all honesty I would probably just end up on my phone.

Unless it can give me a blowjob and tickle my balls/taint/asshole simultaneously I won't have any use for it. Despite how much of a nerdgasm it gives me looking at it.

15. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

I want.

Theres no question that I will buy one; It has been preordained.

Just which one.

Will it be worth it to go 3G?

I would rather go all out and by the full model but if I have to jail break it to get extra features my provider blocks that would blow. Especially since its guaranteed to void warranties. Plus I don't want to fall into the Iphone Trap. Get locked into a contract and then 6 months down the road a 4G model will come out that will kick this models ass.

If I can pair it with my blackberry and share its data plan that might be a way to go. if they offer that feature.

Can you do that with the Ipad and a smart phone?

16. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Er. Kinda. I don't know about others, but there's an Cydia app on the iphone which allows you to create a wifi hotspot using the phone. There are other ways as well. But... if you already have the 3g on your smartphone, what's the point of connecting it to the PSP? The screen is just a little bigger, and it'll just drain the battery of your phone like mad.

The 3G part baffles me. Most people who want 3G on mobile devices already have a smartphone with 3G. I'm assuming that you just can't connect your NGP to your wireless account, you would have to pay another fee to get the 3G on your NGP in addition to the 3G already on your phone.

17. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Thats one thing that is preventing me from entering the tablet field and anything with a 3g add on.

Data plans are already notoriously expensive and I really dislike contracts.

The services the NGP/PSP would have to offer would have to be mindboggling to justify it.

Plus its not like I skytrain very much any more. I'm drivng to work and then I'm drivign home. I am usually someplace with wifi. I can only see a real use when I go camping in the summer or the beach when I want to access my ubuntu one account.

18. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

If it's backwards compatible, I'll get it, required the 3G doesn't require some godforsaken contract. Fuck knows I'll have to rob a bank to pay for the thing in the first place, and I already have a phone. If they want any more money then the asking price and a couple games out of me, it had better turn into a sex robot that's the best goddamn lay I've ever had.

Or else the GPS has a teleporter feature, which would just be really fucking cool and another matter entirely.

That said, it looks great so far. And I'm hoping it's hackable/worth hacking, because the hacks are part of what made the PSP so damn cool three or four years ago. Or whenever that was. It's late, and I suck at time keeping anyway.

On the new game medium: I'm going to be pissed as hell if it's all digital. Game-cube-disc sized blu-ray or HVD (if they can pull it off, doubtful) would be pretty nifty.

Also, it'd be pretty cool if that camera on the back doubled as a projector. I'd love to play Uncharted or Dante's Inferno 2 or whatever on the ceiling.

19. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

It would be impossible for the 3G to be free. It's only free on devices such as the Kindle because you literally only use kilobytes when you browse the book selection, and the books themselves are only around a megabyte, I believe.

Sony's entire problem with their next gen products is that they go heavy on the tech, they completely outclass their competition, but because of this there is a steep price attached to it. So adding on even more tech would be ridiculous, especially a new disc based system.

20. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Why is a contract for 3G baffling? I don't buy a computer expecting it to have free ISP. If you want wireless internet, expect to pay for it. Simple as.

That said, I suspect it's the 3G service that will keep the hardware below $400. The way it's kitted out, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it cost more than an unsubsidized iPhone (around $700).

Another alternative is that 3G could work like the Kindle, and facilitate wireless purchase of games only.

EDIT: Fuck. Ninja'd