1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

I've got no strong feelings against you, Feanorrrr, but every time I see your user name, I think: "Feanorrrr. It's what happens when "Feanor" and "Isil-durrrr" have a kid together."

It goes without saying that this joke is astonishingly stupid and lame. I blame you, somehow. :awesome

2. Nae

Nae The Violent

I came to this thread to comment on the story, which is awesome.

There's someone called Feanorrrr who is apparently an urchin. This made me LOL:
    Also, who the fuck is Jimmy?

I'll be visiting this thread more often. :)

3. The Santi

The Santi Professor

/goes back to writing to end the madness. Hopefully, I'll have an update for you guys to critique and find something substantial to obsess over.

Edit: Jimmy may or may not appear.
    Edit2: Beta group be ready to look something over this weekend.

4. Dark Raku

Dark Raku Second Year

I'll say this about the latest chapter - the frequent use of the name Romulus, when it is from Harry perspective. It seems odd that he's mentioned by his first name so frequently. As if there is a familiarity between them beyond that of student and teacher and whatever you may have planned for later, they certainly haven't reached a point where they would be addressing each other by first names (Harry out of respect alone, shouldn't be referring to him as Romulus)

5. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is one of my favorite fics.

I was pleasantly surprised to find sections of future chapters being posted in the Work By Author section far earlier than on FFN - I'll have to keep an eye on that thread ;)

6. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

C'mon, son.

7. Elelith

Elelith Squib

Just wanted to add that after rereading the last chapter, I finally see Krum as the older brother kind of character...I like it!

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

A few things:

One, it could be that Harry doesn't really want to think of either Calypso or her father as "Rosier" just because of his upbringing marking that as a 'bad' name. Even if it's not something he does consciously, and even if he has no issue with their name, I could see that as an argument for why he thinks of him that way.

Two, when I was in England I noticed that it was not uncommon for teenagers to refer to their friend's parents by first name. Granted I was at University when I was over there, but my parents came to visit for two weeks and the subject came up when I neglected to tell my friends what their first names were. I had assumed that they would call them Mr. & Mrs. my-last-name. So Harry could use "Romulus" because of that since he met him before he was a professor (also some of our UK-members can tell me I'm wrong, which is possible).

However both of those reasons could be complete BS given the actual relationship of Harry and Romulus Rosier in this fic. He's the intimidating ex-Death Eater Dark Arts professor who happens to be the somewhat scary father of his best friend so naturally Harry should call him Prof. or Mister or that SOB-Rosier.

tl;dr -- I think it can be explained away however it's written so long as it's consistent.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  9. 4arms

4arms Second Year

I just read the last part of this fantastic story. I really like the animagus part but I would like to request to Santi(author) to change Viktor's animagus to a duck or goose...The canon clearly specifies that Viktor was "slightly duck footed"....that will nicely justify the cause!

10. Shymer

Shymer Third Year

Hmmm....Ive got a better idea: How about Santi does NOT change Viktor's animagus to a duck??

(Update please!!!! I can't stand it anymore, being forced to read ridiculous fic on ff.net is killing me.)

11. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

Die. Die in a scorching pool of magma.

12. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

It also describes him as being a phenomenal seeker - someone who can spot the snitch in a stadium and catch it. A bat's echo-location is more suited, methinks. Also, although the Santi is subverting various tropes, he's not really writing a parody - which turning Krum into a duck would probably do, imo.

13. 4arms

4arms Second Year

Ok not duck but some relatives of duck(like a swan)...If you are forgetting Sirius did have a dog like bark. Moreover, a bats do not like to be in sun and the matches are most likely held in daylight...

14. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    God damnit. I hate that this thread brings out so many retarded people who otherwise would never have posted.

15. Dark Raku

Dark Raku Second Year

I blame The Santi's epic writing and narrative.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  16. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

[​IMG]

Damn ducks.

17. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Oh for fucks sake :facepalm

Because holding quidditch matches in daylight is totally a character trait of Krum. :facepalm

Oh, and Sirius didn't bark. He laughed. Unless he was in his animagus form, in which case a bark unlike a dog would be rather curious.

18. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I think he's talking about how Sirius' laugh is described in canon:

This is massively overblown in fanon, though.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  19. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I know, my point was that he doesn't literally bark. As you may notice, I did reference him laughing. Which may sound like a bark, but is not actually one.

20. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Yeah, I later realized that, but since I spent the time looking up the quotes I decided to leave my post intact. Anyways, based on all of JKR's deliberate references to barking, the case can be made that Sirius' laugh is influenced by his animagus form, which is the point I think 4arms was trying to make. The alternative is that it's just a character trait.

Not open for further replies.