1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Sony NGP (PSP2) Unveiled

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Lutris, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Yeah, Blaise, but each game will be at least a gigabyte -- maybe more. That'll cost them a shitload if they don't make you pay for it.

However, the price of the download could be added into the price of the game. Maybe like 5 dollars more if you buy it on 3G rather than wifi? I dunno.

2. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Downloading that much over 3g would be absolutely insane.

Why would you want a disc medium? The less moving parts, the better. Plus, the access times on whatever proprietary flash medium would probably be faster than reading a disc.

As for wanting a camera to double as a projector? :facepalm

Hardware looks pretty sweet; clearly, Sony understands that one of its main competitors is now the iPhone (among other smartphones) and is trying to match it on all fronts. Smartphones can't compete on the same level of actual consoles, true, but there are enough good games for iOS/Android that a substantial portion of consumers might pass on a separate handheld gaming device unless Sony makes a damn good case for itself.

3. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

I tend to find discs to be more reliable. Most people don't seem to have this problem, but I can't tell you how many times I've ended up with a flashdrive breaking or getting wiped.

I wrote that at five AM. Terrible idea, I know. But at five am, if someone suggested it double as a strobe light I wouldn't have objected.

Also, I don't expect the 3G to be free. Which is why I don't plan to buy it, unless, as I said, it has another aspect that makes it worth while. or the fee is something like fifty cents a month, which I could put up with. My biggest issue with the xbox is having to pay for live, and so I don't own an xbox. I like the ability to play with or against others online, I like the ability to browse the net. But if i was mostly interested in the multiplayer, I'd get a bunch of people together and we'd go play paintball or football.

The ability is nice, but the fact that multiplayer is the main focus these days kinda pisses me off, especially when it's a fee forced on me instead of an option. As for the ability to browse the net on it, yeah, cool. Except you could do that on the PSP and they didn't charge you for it, and I already have a phone that can do that.

Bottom line is that I don't see why I should have to pay an additional monthly fee for features that are admittedly cool, but in the end unnecessary or redundant. It's a handheld console, and that's all I really want to use it as. Other features are cool, but not if they just end up as a drain on my wallet.

4. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

@silverlasso: For some smaller games, I could see 3G downloads being just fine. Or new levels and add-ons for larger games.

And I dunno how I missed it, but that projector bit was a large slice of fail.

5. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Well, you can always re-download things you've already purchased. The only thing you'll likely lose is saves, and that's nothing new.

As for multiplayer: PSN itself is free, so if 3G itself isn't necessary for multiplayer, you should be fine unless you're doing hardcore multiplayer in an area without wifi.

6. Styx0444

Yeah, but it's still annoying as fuck, and I like having physical copies of things that I own. Makes it feel like it, ya know, mine. Plus, I was never a fan of virtual instruction manuals and whatnot. I want my manuals and cases. The all-digital thing everything seems to be heading towards bugs the shit out of me.

Unless they decide to force you into a contract when you buy the thing, or set it up so that you can't get any games on it without paying a monthly fee. We'll see how it goes, it really just boils down to how much money sony is planning on getting out of this and what their willing to do to get it.

7. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I guess that just comes down to personal preference, then; I actually prefer it all-digital, but then again, that's just what happens after losing old PC games and thus having to purchase them again multiple times.

8. Styx0444

After the first couple times that happened to me, I started making backups. Ironically, I haven't lost a disc since. But the really crappy thing is that the last game I lost was my PC copy of Psychonauts, which I can't find for sale anywhere and never got to beat.

9. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I just don't really care too much for the physical copy, particularly when it slows down the game, as non-cartridge games do. Seriously, the reduced load times for digital copies of games is really fucking nice.

10. Styx0444

Back when I had a decent PC, I just used a copy I kept on the harddrive and a program my bro found so you didn't need the disc. Outside of that, it's never bothered me to much. The load times kinda suck, but I've only seen a couple that were THAT bad. Like you said, it comes down to personal preference. I just like the ability to hold the game in my hand, lend it out or borrow it from other people, or carry it over to some other dude's house.

11. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Talk to anyone doing anything in the computer tech industry and 9/10 times you'll hear that physical copies are gold.

Imagine an update goes wrong or you accidently brick your psp and have to send it in. If you don't have something to back up your games your left with redownloading them.

And remember Sony has the 5 free downloads rule for each purchase. What if you've used all 5 up for various reasons? Then you’re hooped.

I would rather shell out an additional twenty for the ability to have the game permanently. Because let’s face it. PSN won't necessarily be a infinite service that we can show our grand kids. It could go the way of the original xbox live service and be discontinued. Taking with it all those games you purchased but now have no way to play unless you maintained your psp all those years.

Fail projector talk was fail...

I'm honestly more impressed with the way they used the hardware on this thing.

Duel touch panels isn't anything new but putting one on the back of a device the way NGP did completely changes the way we interact with tech. I can see that becoming a feature on Smartphone’s and other handhelds later on.

OLED screen, I've never had one but its a good way to get it into the market by spreading it through a game system. Putting gyroscopes in was a nice touch but not necessarily anything new. It might have been better to put a vibrating pack in for force feedback but that would definitely drain the batter something fierce and of course the damage it could induce probably isn't worth it if someone accidently drops it as a result.

3g is a fad. Simple as that. I can already see the hspa+ version popping up at the next convention after everyone’s purchased one. Inducing massive nerd rage.

I'm not convinced on the need for 3g as at current data plan rates, if you’re playing games like call of duty or uncharted multiplayer over it (which already lags on decent broadband connections) you'll need unlimited data plans and with the way North America is set up that won't be something a 12 year old will be able to convince a middle income family that he needs. Especially if it’s for a contract of probably 3 years or more.

Analog sticks was just necessary. They could have cheeped out with the rolling nubs but they went for full clickity tilt ones which was class.

GPS and front and back facing cameras was a nice touch and I'm hoping some ARG games can pop out of the device as a result. Find this sign or this spot in your city and take a picture to unlock a trophy or get a tool for your game.

I only hope they don't do what they did with the original PS3 design and ret conn some awesome features. Like the multi screen hdmi they had originally.

If I had that PS3 I would be so Happy!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  12. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

When I mentioned a flash medium, I was actually thinking more along the lines of what Nintendo does with DS games (although I'm sure that either way, there will be digital downloads). I just think discs are a needless hassle.

Also, Psychonauts is relatively cheap on Steam ($10). Or you could use more illicit methods with the justification that you've already paid for it (if you have moral objections).

@Blaise: You're right, "lighter" content would probably be feasible over 3G. Full-fledged material would definitely need WiFi with fast underlying broadband, though.

13. Antix_Shadows

Antix_Shadows First Year

it's all about this sorta thing for the future. 1 terabyte solid state hard drive. cost? 4 grand. But i so want that thing. It plugs into a pci express slot lol.

[​IMG]

14. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Y'know, I completely forgot about that 5 download per account limit. That's probably something that should be done away with if you're going to a purely-digital medium. I mean, I get the antipiracy concerns, but that could be a problem.

15. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

This is what they're doing, by the way. Just saying. Not purely digital. They're using cartridges instead of discs.

16. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Could someone explain the whole touchscreen-on-the-back thing to me and why the fuck it matters?

17. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

In the video at 12:40 for one application. And 10:20 for another. From what I can tell, it just seems to me like a gimmick, of course that is what I thought of the stylus for the DS.

Either way, going touchscreen seems to be there way of hopping on to the technology bandwagon begun by Apple. Of course, that doesn't mean it won't be successful. This, just like the PS3, is an amazing piece of machinery, but they may flub it like they did the first. Dunno.

I probably won't be picking it up because of the reasons White Rabbit listed. I truly have little need for a portable gaming machine. My PC suffices for now, until I pick-up a Wii.(Fan of the Metroid Prime games.)

18. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Could you please explain what the fuck you're still doing here, Daniel?

19. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

IGN has reported that an SCEE representative has clarified that there will be two models- one with 3G and one without. Every NGP unit is to have Wifi connectivity, but 3G networking will require a separate data plan.

SCEA hasn't confirmed or denied this claim, but to me, it seems pretty likely that they're going to go with this. Supposedly, they're in the process of securing 3G providers right now.

If this proves to be true, I'll probably be getting the Wi-fi version, unless some games are announced that 3G will be essential to play. Which I sincerely doubt.

20. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I just want to see some of the classics from Playstation ported to these damned playable consoles -- FF7 for example. I never saw a single game for the PSP that I really wanted to play, and generally unless I see 2-3 games that interest me with the promise of at least 2-3 more, I'm not gonna pick something up.

Isn't the Nintendo 3DS or whatever coming out in March or thereabouts? I can't remember if that's an upgrade on the technology or just another re-sizing/coloring/whatever-ing for the DS.

But I lost my DS about 1.5 years ago so I'll probably pick something up out of all the new-ness.