1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

PS3 root keys cracked

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by JohnThePyro, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yeah I turned it back on after a week, and it went to a reasonable amount. I even made sure I didn't somehow have a global ignore or something turned on

2. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Ok, doesn't have a whole lot to do with this, but it does involve PS3's at least. Does anyone know how to fix laser disc readers? Mine broke like a month out of warranty, and I was not paying them to have it fixed. Still a little bitter about it if you can't tell.

3. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

This might help.

4. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Thanks, first one I've seen that actually looks competent/is a video.

5. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Update: There's a rumor floating around that Sony is including a backdoor in their newest firmware release. If anyone here is foolish enough to actually have their JBed PS3s hooked up to the internet, it would probably be good to take them offline.

6. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

7. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

A bunch of DMCAs hit GitHub taking down anything related to the PS3 rootkeys.

8. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

So I'll be straight with you guys, the only thing that intrigues me enough about this situation to risk bricking a PS3 with my minimal hacking skills is if someone adds in PS2 emulation to PS3 slims.

Is there any indication that this may be happening in the near future? If so I'll keep away from the PSN for a bit.

9. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Given that I'd heard of PS2 emulators existing for quite a while now, and used to have an Xbox emulator myself, I'd say it's a fair possibility. That said, I know very little about most of this stuff.

10. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Yeah this'll work. Except for the millions of plaintext copies people saved.

11. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

No, ps2 emulation on the ps3 depended on a certain chipset, which is only available in some of the older ps3 fats. Ps2 emulation will most likely not occur on slim PS3s.

12. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I can't see why not, if there's PS2 emulators that work on PC's. Just package the shit and install on a hacked PS3.

13. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

I don't think there are any good PS2 emus though. A PS2's architecture is quite a bit more complex than a SNES. Hell, even DS emus lag behind.

14. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Some are fairly decent, but unless they've radically advanced in the past 7 months, I know there are plenty of flaws with them.

Now this isn't an area I'm exactly an expert in, however from what I understand emulation requires quite a bit of hardware power. From what I've heard, the PS3 couldn't do this, so it got around it by including the same chipset inside the ps2 so it could run the games.

I've heard that PAL PS3s could run emulation somehow, but I'm not quite sure if this is true. If it is, apparently it was done in such a way that allowed the Ps3 to work with it's rather limited hardware, as PS2 emulation on PC's requires a huge amount of processing power (though admittedly the cell processor the ps3 might be up to the challenge).

Sorry if this is rambling on, just got back to the doc and on vicodin. Broke my ankle :(.

15. Solomon

Solomon Heir

The PS3 actually can emulate the PS2, and for a long time were doing software emulation of it. They eventually decided to drop that; probably wasn't profitable.

(Note: this is for the PS3s that DO NOT have the PS2 chip in it. Those just have hardware emulation).

16. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Huh, I wasn't aware of that. Well, maybe we will see emulation in the future.

17. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Do want in that case ;)

18. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

19. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Well, Sony's finally started to ban hacked PS3s now. I'll be honest, if you've been stupid enough to keep your console connected to the 'net still after all the warnings, and against all common sense, you deserve it by now.

20. w1lliam

w1lliam Groundskeeper

Is there any benefit to hacking the ps3? I'm still on 3.41 and haven't even played on the ps3 since before christmas, been playing on my pc with all the games bought in the steam sales.