1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dead Space 2

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Cruentus, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

So ya....fuck your Marker:awesome

Has anybody beat this, besides me yet? I love the personality and voice they gave Isaac and the whole game was intense and scary the whole way through.

Is it just me or did this marker seem...more malicious then the one on Ageis 7? The one in DS 1 wanted to be put back on it's alter so as to contain the Necromorphs, but this one wanted to do something entirely different. Other then that I'm glad Ellie lived and the ending brought a smile to my face.

So what did you think? Was it epic, or fail?

Oh....and fuck your Marker.

2. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

I enjoyed it a great deal. Not so much as the first one, but it was still good.

The good:
    Added emphasis on the importance of stasis. In the first game, stasis is pretty much the only thing that allowed me to beat it on impossible.

Vastly increased usefulness of telekinesis. It's rather satisfying to kill a necromorph, then rip of its arm and launch it at the next one.

The lack of backtracking. Impressive in a game over ten hours long, there's none of it.

Level design was spectacular. No complaints there.

The Not So Good:
    Lack of boss fights. There's really only two in the entire game, and the first one is debatable as to whether it'd even count as one.

Lack of nodes. My first play through, I only had enough nodes to optimize the suit, kinesis and two weapons. My second, on survivalist, I'm at chapter 15, and in a similar situation. It'd be nice to have enough nodes for at least three fully upgraded weapons.

But, overall, I liked it. I think I'm start on 'zealot' tomorrow.

3. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Finally! I was thinking everybody was too chicken to play this game or something.

Lack of nodes? Really? But then again I'm way more conservative in my playing, I pick one gun and stick with it all the way through. Second play through and I'm using the pulse rifle, 1st was the plasma cutter.

What was your favorite part of the game?

Mine was returning to the Ishimura.

4. Voice of the Nephilim

It's frustrating being limited to only one gun. In the first game it was pretty easy to stick with the plasma cutter all the way through, but in this one, with the occasional fight against groups of smaller enemies, the plasma cutter is not ideal.

Playthrough on normal, I used Plasma Cutter, Pulse Rifle and Javelin.

Playthrough on survivalist, I used Plasma Cutter, Javelin and Seeker Rifle.

Playing on zealot right now. I think I may just stick to PC and Javelin. We'll see.

I think my favorite part was the entire Church of Unitology section. Suitably creepy, fantastic atmosphere, especially in the upper levels, with the scant lighting, and the oppressive, almost arcane architecture. Easily the most unsettling part of the game.

5. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

I've not even played the game, but I have to call you out on that being a fucking retarded statement.

Ten hours is a TINY fucking game. Ten hours is NOTHING. It's not surprising you didn't backtrack, after all, YOU'RE BARELY PLAYING A FUCKING GAME IF IT'S ONLY TEN HOURS LONG!

6. JenosIdanian

JenosIdanian Professor DLP Supporter

I'm going to agree with Coyote in saying it's really not long of a game at all. That being said I still loved it. Really enjoyed how they gave Issac a face in this one. My favorite part was definitely
    Getting the fuck Javelin'd out of me by creepy!Tideman.

As far as the game's length, it does what it needs to do and that's continue the story of the first game. Still, it would've been nice to have another four to five hours of gameplay. DLC be damned. Adding in those Conduit Rooms is just nickel and dime-ing in order to shoehorn in content that you really don't even need in the firstplace.

7. Voice of the Nephilim

Disagree. Most games pad their length with repetitive game-play mechanics, scenarios and copy-pasted level design. The last, in particular, is what strikes me the most. Take a game like Mass Effect, for instance. While I did enjoy it, three quarters of my total game-play were spent exploring planets. This would have been enjoyable is the planets didn't consist solely of random terrain-generated landscapes, and the same base...maybe 20 times? 30?

Ultimately, it's about quality of experience. If you cared to read my post, you would have noted I never claimed it was a long game, only that it took over ten hours. Any day of the week, I'll take a game that's ten hours long over something twice as long, comprising copy-pasted level design and game-play repetition.