1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Sure, go ahead.
    Selective reading ftw.

2. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

So I was re-reading the last chapter or two, in anticipation of the new part that will hopefully be posted in the next week or so, and there are a couple points that keep standing out that I'd like to comment on

Rosemburg's animagus lesson: Calypso makes a pretty stupid comment when asking about how an animagus form is determined (at least according to Rosemburg). You would think that this would be one of the first things that someone interested in the process would ask - 'how do I find my form?' And with someone who has a father with as high expectations as she does, I would think that she would have researched the process a little and not embarassed herself (& vicariously her father) with such a basic question. I understand you wanting to poke fun at the conventional animagus-fics, but it seems a little out of character for her.

Harry's bad-ass reputation: Like cursing people for disturbing his studying. All I'm going to say is that I look forward to when those rumours make their way to Hogwarts & then to his family. Not that Nathan's a gossip, but Harry's former classmates would likely be interested in what the young prodigy is like at Durmstrang (after all, they never got to know him at Hogwarts). So there's likely to be all sorts of interesting things passed to the Potters... not to mention having Rosier as a friend.

The 'Most Memorable' Dark Arts class: I was a little disapointed with this scene, it read more like a private lesson for Potter. Puppies aside, there wasn't much to make it memorable to any student other than Harry & Montague (unless you count the trauma of watching Montague being tortured). At least Crouch/Moody put each of the students under the Imperius.... it was a pretty short lesson.

Anyways, this is just me nitpicking... I'm really looking forward to the next part.

3. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Go watch one of the hundreds of 'kitten/puppy in a microwave/oven' videos on the net, then come back and tell me it wasn't memorable.

4. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Errr, who the fuck would go watch a kitten/puppy in microwave video? I know I sure as hell wouldn't...

Whatever floats your boat I guess.

5. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

/b/, for one, though I think they got pissed at the kitten one. It's disturbing as as hell, but they exist. I was trying to make a point.

6. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

Memorable, sure... mind you, I've never seen a microwaved animal (and hope to never). But I'm not debating whether or not seeing the puppy tortured (making sounds, bleeding through the mouth & twitch) would be disturbing to some of the students (some have probably seen worse - hell anyone in the library when Calypso got hit by that spell.)

Sure it'd be something you'd vaguely remember (some more than others) as the years pass , but I would hope that there would be something more to a class that was billed as 'the most memorable Dark Arts class of their lives.' And that's supposed to be through all seven years of school... hell, maybe if Rosier forced each of them to torture it themselves I'd give it more credence.

Anyways, as I said before:

The way Santi described the excitement & trepidation that the students felt towards the lesson I was anticipating much more, is all that I'm saying. Given the nature of some of the spells that they're flinging (and presumably hitting, on occasion) at each other during some of these classes; I'm not sure that the puppy (while cute, none of them has any emotional attachment to) rates it.

Giving the students a chance to cast the spell & seeing it cast of a fellow student hits closer to the mark. Maybe there's been more to it with previous profs, more students trying them out - who can say? It did seem like a pretty short class.

Unless it's the subject matter itself that's supposed to be memorable, I'm not really seeing what made this lecture stand head & shoulders above any other that he'll have in his academic (Dark Arts) career at Durmstrang.

7. The Santi

The Santi Professor

8. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    /waits for the inevitable rage.

9. The Santi

The Santi Professor

We really should start a betting pool in the beta group to see what innocuous topics generate the most rage. Some things I thought would get slammed have been pretty much ignored and vice-versa.

10. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

I was surprised that there was no fallout over the Calypso/Kira episode. For some reason I had assumed that it would mark a significant change in the relationship between the four, but it seems to have been brushed under the carpet in this latest update.

11. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Usually when I read update of this fic it starts slowly and quickly becomes amazing for one reason or another. This time it started slowly and ended the same way. Still good and it showed character progression, but was lacking awesome factor for me. Harry using Legilimency could be that, if it wasn't for all this fluff in the same scene.

12. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Denarii Host

So, her father may try to push for a contract to take advantage of Harry's feelings. In any case, I enjoyed the chapter. I'd give you a thumbs up, but I have none left. I can't wait to hear from Voldemort once more.

13. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Something I noticed, and I dunno if that was new or if I missed it until now, you shift the POV around during the course of one scene (e.g. from Harry's head to Rosier's head, or in the last scene, from Harry's to Calypso's). It's something where I'm a little pedantic, even though I know others are perfectly fine with it -- I always try to restrict one scene to one POV; but in any case, I thought I'd point it out, in case that wasn't intentional on your end.

It's not as bad as I've seen elsewhere, at least, where the POV shifted multiple times during one sentence :p

14. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was kind of disappointed that the update was only tying off the last chapter, which is probably why is seemed a tad slow to Celestin. I mean, the writing was excellent, but the main plot points of the chapter had already been covered.

Still great, still looking forward to more.

15. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I have to agree with Sesc on the PoV shifting, but it wasn't as important to me. If it was somehow fixed, sure, I'd be happy, but I was happy with it anyway.

Btw, why did you cut the WbA version before Harry started making out with Kira?

16. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

One thing I really enjoyed about the update is that while Harry is still considered a brilliant student, he is just that, a student. The scene with Rosemberg where he had to slowly explain the final stage in the animagus transformation with neither Harry nor Viktor understanding at point exemplifies this point, and then the scene with Rosier having to go into detail on why the Patronus Charm wouldn't be the best idea for his final project really drives it home. Ultimately, while Harry is a brilliant student, he is long ways a way from incredible at anything.

17. Torak

Torak Death Eater

Switching the scenes

I saw what you did there man

18. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Yeah, it's intentional. While I also try to avoid PoV shifts, they can be useful if used properly. I've done it once or twice in the past in the story, like where the PoV shifts from Harry to Voldemort in chapter two. Don't worry though, it's not something I plan on making a habit of.

With Professor Rosier, I wanted to give the reader a very brief glimpse into his private thoughts since so little is known about his motivations and plans.

As for Calypso, the overarching theme of this entire chapter has really been the developing Harry/Calypso relationship, and we really only see it from Harry's perspective. By ending with Calypso's thoughts, I thought it would be a nice way to closer out the chapter.

19. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And it was.

FUCK THE BLASPHEMERS.

20. John Hopkins

John Hopkins First Year

Little too fluffy for my taste, but overall a pretty good chapter.

Not open for further replies.