1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The return of DLP Team Fortress 2

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Midknight, May 27, 2010.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Put dodgeball on dlptf2 and we'll get Justblaise to suck ravens dick. D8 just sayin'

2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Dodgeballs fun, but the buggy way it sometimes wont bounce back the missiles makes me rage. But yes, Raven sir plz can we has dodgeball?? And thank you for updating the server.

And yes, fuck Lotus clan. I mostly play there because it has my stats, but the bots make me Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

3. Radical Dreamer

Radical Dreamer Fourth Year DLP Supporter

Get online you faggots. :(

4. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

I think I'm doing something wrong here.

My friend convinced me to try TF2 a few nights ago (I'd had it from the orange box, never played it before now), and I think it's the most frustrating FPS experience I've ever had.

I played as a few classes. The sniper, which was pretty much useless. The lack of any ability to scope-and-flick, plus the meager damage on almost every enemy pretty much made the class a "sit and camp" one.

I tried the flamer, but again, that was boring as well. Rush in, expel flame, rinse and repeat.

I then tried the heavy, which was okay I guess, but I've never liked being the main gunner in FPS games. Honestly, I far prefer sniping (when I can get up close and personal. I'm very much a fan of quick scoping/scope-and-flick).

Am I doing something wrong here? I know there's going to be a reason this game is so loved, but it honestly just seems so boring. I think I raged when I realized that as a sniper, I was pretty much useless. I could hit anyone on the map with ease (compared to some Q3 mods, sniping in TF2 is a bit like playing slo-mo. Not exactly a challenge), but it seems like unless I got a headshot, I'd never kill. And even when I did, it wouldn't always be a kill.

I don't know, maybe it's just not my type of game. I just can't help but feel I'm playing it wrong.

5. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Be a Spy.

Spys are King.

Just sayin'

6. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I felt this this for awhile. I like to snipe, but I have the opposite problem, I feel like the guys move so twitchy and fast, that I don't have time to line up a good headshot. Part of the problem is as soon as you kill someone they see where you are from the camera zooming in, so any hope of secure sniper spots is gone. You kill one, maybe 2, and unless you're lucky they just sniper kit up and get you. I snipe nonstop in BF games, this one just doesn't work for me.

Spy I enjoy, but I'm just not that skilled at it, I maybe kill one and then die. If I want to kill streak I find I get stuck sitting there and picking them off one by one. Pyro's fun for mass carnage, but his damage isn't great if you can't focus your fire in a small area. Scout's useless for me, gives me a headache playing him. Medic I feel like I'm just watching other people game. Soldier feels cheap, dunno why I've just always hated the class. Engy's are alright, but when YOU'RE the one with a turret out, it feels like it goes down too easy, and if you're up against it, it takes forever to take it out, lol. Seems like I just sit there swinging the wrench on the turret the whole time, not fun for me.

That leaves the demo and heavy. Heavy with a good medic will rape everyone, I have the most fun doing this. Demo it's fun to ambush folks, or run in with the sword swinging, or pissing off the enemy engys.

7. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

You're playing it like goddamn Black Ops or something, is your problem. You're never going to be the one-man army in TF2, so learn to play to your roll. Pyros ambush when the enemy's distracted by teammates. Snipers pick off the slow and the unsuspecting and enemy snipers so their teammates can fulfill the map's objectives. Heavies form a slow but inexorable advance that bulldozes through the enemies... when supported by their team.

Team Fortress 2. Not Deathmatch Fortress 2.

More in-depth sniper detail: an uncharged headshot and a fully-charged bodyshot both do 150 damage - enough to kill a scout, medic, or sniper. A charged headshot does 450 damage, enough to kill even a fully overhealed Heavy. Charging starts one second after scoping and is finished four seconds after scoping.

So your quickscoping skills are useful when targeting scouts (which you shouldn't be doing unless there's no other targets), snipers and medics (both of which are primary sniper duties - although getting too sucked into a sniper war to the exclusion of all else is a cardinal sin of sniping).

With charged headshots, your natural prey is the heavy - especially while he's firing. Ideally, you should only be fully charging when your target has a medic overhealing them or when you're waiting for a target to wander along - the rest of the time, you should be trying to hit them with just enough charge to kill them with the headshot. But realistically, you'll be letting it fully charge to be sure of the kill and to maximize damage if you bodyshot instead of headshot. Partial-charge kills will come with experience.

The main skills to master as a TF2 sniper are knowing how long to charge your shots, consistently getting headshots, prioritizing targets, and being situationally aware enough to not get constantly raped by flanking scouts, goddamn spies and enemy snipers.

(hey everyone bet you can't guess my preferred class in TF2)

8. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

I've got a handful of images I should upload and post, but it's 4 am and I should have been in bed 4 hours ago...>.>

What happens when you have two good medics, play on a server that has a max players of 16, and generally enjoy the match? Great games.
    [​IMG]

I had been playing soldier for the entire match (and I'm now thinking if I ever do start playing more than just pubs, it'll be my main class). We were deadlocked on that curve (as is common on this stage of dustbowl). Red started pushing us back, and I realize they had at least 6 of their players up near our spawn. That left two somewhere in between...I switched scout the next time I got kritz-heavy'd and ran past them and down that little tunnel that's the first right in the narrow bend. Saw a couple rockets hitting the end of the tunnel, but they stopped so I ran up the ramp and took out the cuntsman sniper to cap. That guy Jord was the other medic (and he pocketed me for most of the match).

Also, I'm not sure if I like this 'feature' of the nom-nom-nom servers, but they have instant respawn on round end...so things like this are common:

[​IMG]

I have to say though, there is a HUGE difference in team dynamic when you have 8 players verses 16. (I'm looking at you iO, you giant douches.)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  9. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Thanks the advice, it's really not my type of game. I play sniper completely differently, and just can't get into the game. I gave it another try, and even when playing team oriented, I just couldn't get into it.

I think the biggest thing in sniper is that when you unzoom, your "charge" goes away. I play sniper by scanning, zooming in, and shooting very fast, within a fraction of a second. It's just how I do it from playing Q3 mods, where sniping slowly is practically a death sentence.

Going from that to keeping my scope zoomed to charge up (even for four seconds), is just impossible for me.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

10. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

wtf are you talking about charging. I just zomm, fire, and rezoom.

11. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

What he said. ^

TSN
  12. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

13. Havoc

Havoc Seventh Year

Nope, you weren't number one.

14. Oz

That fag had over 500 points when I joined the server. I didn't feel like hanging around for another hour playing catch up. D8

EDIT: Fixed the link in the pic. <.<

15. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

4 scouts and 4 engis?

Other team musta been 'FUUUUUUUUUU' the entire game, xD.

16. Oz

Heh, at one point I was standing in front of the doors to their base as a heavy with a dispenser behind me unleashing holy hell on their whole team, killing wave after wave of scouts and demomen. Then I got bored and started doing pyro challenges, just as one of our engies got a teleporter exit into a corner of their base. :awesome

Probably the best game of TF2 I've ever played. <3 ctf_well

17. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

18. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Would've been better had they been killing shit while jumping.

19. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

That actually happens once. Personally, I think that the jumps were simply amazing by themselves. If you're looking for more general TF2 montages, you can find quite a few good ones here.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  20. Marsupial

Marsupial Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Finally, finally got Steam to work on my laptop. Just friended Middy; account name is Marsupial_Bob on Steam. I've been using that as a gaming tag for years.

Anyway, I have TF2 now, so somebody hit me up with an invite to the DLP group.