1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dragon Age 2 Announced.

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Gizmore, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Paradosi

Paradosi Fourth Year

I'm about halfway through and well, the game is barely reminiscent of origins. It feels more like a hack and slash than an RPG. I can't relate to the new characters at all. It shows that the game was rushed. Origins tooks upwards of 5 years to make, and this game was rushed in 15 months. I'm not even going to bother ranting at day one DLC.

/sigh, why does EA ruin everything it gets its hands on. Is there a competition between Activision and EA for shittiest video game company?

2. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

They made it generic so they could appeal to a broader market, which fucks over everyone who loved Origins and was hoping that it would expand on it. Easy to pick up and play but really none of the luster of Origins. Just another case of EA rushing shit out to make more money instead of letting Bioware do their own thing.

3. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

Interesting?

I'm no expert on gaming, hell, I haven't even picked up the game yet(still on the fence), but aren't most games supposed to have all the graphics shipped with them?

At least, I've never heard of a patch for graphics only, especially on a new game. Luckily they're not charging for it.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  4. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

That might explain why the graphics look so meh even on very high. Thanks for the link, I wonder how much of a difference it'll make.

5. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

Is there a story line outside that goddamn city which I can't even bother remembering the name? Because I've spent like 3 hours doing pointless quests to finally go to the Deep Roads where I thought "Finally some action!" which turned out to not be Deep Roads and where the adventure lasted like 15 minutes before going back to the goddamn city.

Is there anything worth seeing in this game? Some areas that are unlocked late-game? A brothel where I can fuck Morrigan or something?

I can't believe I'm saying this, but...

Bioware, I am disappoint.

6. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I guess the only hope for our world is that blizzard/activision doesn't completely fuck up diablo 3. They've already dumbed down WoW to the point of extreme mass appear so retards with one arm and three fingers can play. I just can't stand all this simple-ization to make more $$$, I just want to play a game worth playing. I see the same thing happened with ME2, and now with DA2. The gaming industry has stopped catering to gamers, and is now catering to casuals.

At least blizzard spends years on each game they create, so it will either be thoroughly bad or thoroughly good.

7. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

My hopes for the future of gaming at this point pretty much lean on Skyrim, Diablo 3, and Alice 2. But who knows, maybe some really great super awesome game will come out of the blue.

8. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well, I really liked the theory one person had that DA 3 would seek to "return to DA's roots" and we'd get an actually good game and forget DA 2 ever happened.

9. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

All this doom-and-gloom about there never being any good games again is akin to saying there will be no more good HP stories. There will always be developers free of the big publications that are willing to put out great games that you will enjoy.

As to Lord Anarchy. Dumbing down WoW? Have you played the recent dungeons and raids at all? In Wraith, yes they were easy as sin, as Blizzard admitted. Cata is very challenging these days. Or are you referring to the easier time of leveling? Where it's a bit more streamlined and funner. So I can get to the end-game content. I mean, I loved walking every fucking where on my Hunter before getting a mount at lvl 40. Honestly, I spent more fucking time running than fucking fighting. But, hey, looking back those were good times, right?

10. Schrodinger

High Score:
    Oh, and if anyone is looking for an awesome indie developer who deals in old-school style RPG's, I highly recommend Spiderweb Software. They just came out with a new game, but the older ones, especially the Geneforge series, are still good.

They're so indy they're not even on steam.

11. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

I was a fan from Blades of Exile right through to Avernum 3, but I never really got into the Geneforge series and Avernum 4 just didn't have the je ne sais quoi that made the first three fun. I might have to give the series another go some time soon.

12. Schrodinger

High Score:
    I would highly advise it. They get more polished as they go along.As for the Geneforege series, its what I started with, so I like it better than avernum.
    And Avadon is good, even if its MAc only for now.

13. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I don't like having to micromanage my inventory in console games, but what they did in ME2 was a travesty. It was goddamned Playhouse Dress Up, not an armory.

I can't remember for the life of me the other major game that did that, but most of the textures in the game looked like shit, and suddenly a month after release and thousands of complaints they suddenly said they "forgot" to bundle the high rez textures on the disc, and so PC users were running at Xbox 360 resolutions. I know it was a recent game, maybe 2 years old, can't remember what one though and it's driving me nuts.

And PC Gamer magazine is now dead to me. Their reviewers gave this game every award in the book, called it best RPG of this decade, and then they rated Spiderman Shattered Dimensions, which was an amazing game for what it was, Barely higher then 50%.

14. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

Game Informer is the magazine I go to for well-rounded reviews. Sometimes they bump the numbers up, but the review itself is usually pretty solid.

PC Version.

Console.

And thanks to their review I will not be getting this for the computer. The limited world alone is enough for me to sigh, unless they are planning to expand it through DLC. In that case I'll by the Ultra-Edition-Remake that includes all the DLC when Dragon Age III comes out.

15. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

:facepalm

Game Informer is the go-to example of artificially inflated review scores.

16. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

I don't buy a game based on the review score, but what they write in the review itself.

From PC Review.
    From Console Review
    They love the combat for the console, something I was semi-looking forward to but hoped it would work on the PC. But like I said, it's hard to find a well-rounded review on the web. They're the best I've found so far, and usually give me some insight into whether I can stand a game or not.

17. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Check out BlisteredThumbs. It's a collection of internet-only reviewers and user submitted content, that actually manages to bring good reviews out.

Also, X-play is pretty good. G4 might have gone down hill, but Adam Sessler is still one of the best reviewers I know of.

18. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I think I'm one of the few people that found the maps for DA:O to be claustrophobic linear fests.

19. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I've got 4 85's, fire mage, resto shaman, feral druid, and prot warrior. I've been playing since january 06, so i've seen how much 'easier' the game has gotten, and i've seen how dumbed down everything has gotten, as well as how lazy the developers have gotten. I don't buy into the 'normalization' or the 'streamlining' of the classes. I immensely dislike what they have done to the buff system, and how there are nearly no unique buffs. I dislike the new reduced talent trees. It no longer allows for some cool hybrid builds like doubledipping frostfire. Now everyone is pretty much exactly the same, and its about 'bringing the player' instead of bringing the class. Hell, I wouldn't bring the majority of players anyway, because they don't know how to play the game, let alone their class. All its done has brought more bad/lazy players into the game who don't have to work to build their character.

I don't think the cata dungeons are hard at all. Everyone else had just gotten used to being 70 items levels overgeared for wrath heroics because you could buy base t10 off a vendor, and you could pug normal icecrown.

I think the current heroic raid system is ridiculous. 10 man heroics raids are just the 25 man bosses done with 10 people instead of 25. Hell, I liked the way it was done with Ulduar.

As for normal dungeons... the old ones are so ridiculously easy now because of the way coefficients scale to get to 85. Dungeons that took an hour can now be pugged in 10 minutes. My level 45 warlock does more dps now than my enchancement shaman with sulfuras did raiding aq40 at level 60. Granted, it makes it easier, but I like playing for the challenge. That's why I enjoyed raiding bwl/aq40/nax/t5/t6/sunwell, etc...

Lets not forget they they have dumbed down the gear as well. Well, I guess the word 'fixed' could be used, but the majority of items are still itemized as shit. They just made items that can be used equally by half a dozen classes, but yet none of them want it because their ilvl 346 blue is better than the ilvl 359 epic.

Honestly, if you can stand out of fire and kill adds, you will do just fine in any of the cata heroics. A snoozefest, I find myself logging on just so I can chat with my friends in game rather than with text messages. There's just no satisfaction anymore. And I would rather kill myself than dig one more digsite with archaeology.

Fuck, WTB a real modern rpg. Right now, I'm playing vampire; the masquerade while waiting for d3 to come out eventually. Hell, I'd take another borderlands type rpg, but instead i'm digging through third rate rpgs like divinity 2.

Yes, I am angry and illiterate.

20. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

So, I was checking out Meta critics for reviews and found that critics and user score was pretty far apart.
    84/100 from 16 critics. It feels like most critics get their money from EA based on their score.
    3/10 user score (only 417 votes though.) The user votes are pretty funny/retarded.

I'd give it 6/10 btw