1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo 3DS

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Midknight, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Hahaha. Okay, I kind of want to play with one now.

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Pft. You guys should know how to make Schrodinger stop posting in a thread by now.

How about you admit to the fact that you're acting like a female in a male dominated forum, Daniel.

There, now he's too scared to come into the thread again.

3. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

I R confused. Schro's a male?

Always had my doubts.

4. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    An American/Russian male at that. He pretends to be a female who's into girls in an effort to garner attention for himself. The nsfw thread is a prime example.

5. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Haven't been on the net long, huh?

Rule 29: On the internet, all girls are men, and all kids are undercover FBI agents.

Rule 30: There are no girls on the internet.

6. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    You seemed to be doing an excellent job of it for me, Sree, so I didn't really think it necessary.

7. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

8. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

I feel a sense of accomplishment. :awesome

9. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

As do I.

Oh, and LOL @ 3DS

/flimsy attempt at on-topic

10. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I had planned on getting one of these since I had lost my old DS lite (went missing in mid-2009 and turned up last night hidden in a huge-ass box under a bicycle helmet I'd never used) and the killer for me would have been the battery life as compared to the other DS options. So I opted not to pick one up (which is good, since I found my DS shortly afterwards), but thought I'd mention it here.

Are they really going to have better and more complex games for this thing, or just prettier ones? I.e. are we talking about a step similar to Advance-to-DS? I don't think we are, and given my playstyle I'd rather stick with the battery life for now until they update this one a bit more.

11. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

GBA was about equal to the SNES in power.
    DS was about equal to the N64.
    The 3DS is about equal to the GameCube.

It's going to take a while for games to reach the better graphics levels, though.

12. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

NGP is going to be close to the PS3 in power. 8D

13. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

And yet the games for the DS look like absolute shit, with the rare exception. Super Mario 64 looked pretty good on it, as did a few others. So far the 3DS is looking halfway between N64 and Gamecube graphically. Wtf is it with Nintendo and shit graphics?

14. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Overpriced machines that are basically last gen graphics + cute gimmicks appeal to the retarded masses, Mid.

15. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

Because hating on Nintendo is cool, right?

:facepalm

Nintendo stopped trying to be the graphical giant at about the time the PlayStation came out. They've always tried to present their games with some sort of cutting edge gimmick.

The GameCube had tiny disks.

The Wii was the first motion sensitive system.

The DS had a touch screen

And now the 3ds is '3d'.

Graphical superiority has never been the number one spot on their priority list. Note how after the Wii came out, Sony came out with the Move? And then the touchscreen on the back of their next handheld?

Pioneers.

Give credit where credit is due.

16. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

I'll never hate on Nintendo, because frankly their intentions with regards to gaming experience have been different a long, long time ago. Like you said, the processor race just wasn't a priority to them in the way it was for Microsoft and Sony. Comparing a Nintendo Wii to a PS3 or XBox is ridiculous, because Nintendo had a different idea about gaming that started (IMO) with the GameCube. Essentially, you can only compare a Nintendo system to...another Nintendo system.

That said, the 3DS looks like absolute gimmicky shit. I don't see how the 3D/hologram aspect of it will be a boon, and therefore a persuasive reason to step up from a normal DS. Until they can cram some spatial interaction into the thing (a la Kinect), the only benefit I can see it presenting is limiting the people you allow to have a go on it from monopolizing the thing because of the headaches it will no doubt incite.

Nintendo has been about pioneering - which is why this move is akin to Ferrari's "lolwut" decision to build a hatchback, of all things: a clumsy attempt to hop on the gravy train.

17. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

The main advantage of a 3DS is that it actually does have better hardware than the DS. I loved my DS, but it was pretty outdated by now. The 3DS plays a full console port of Street Fighter 4 and looks great doing so.

18. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Yeah, I figured that - kind of like how a 3DTV almost certainly does a solid job as a 1080p television.

It's the 3D part that will make or break them. If they offer more titles that are simply high-res and not 3D, people will either clamore for more 3D titles or wonder why they didn't just make a souped-up-but-3D-free version for cheaper. And if the 3D titles are as lolwut/cheesy as described, then people will feel cheated - and wonder what the point was of including 3D to begin with.

19. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Yeah, I don't really care about the graphics so much as the gameplay. I still have more fun playing Super Mario RPG for SNES than I have playing some brand new games, b/c the gameplay was fun. And stepping up means better games on that front supposedly. I.e. I'd rather play a kickass game on lowest graphics settings on my computer than a mediocre game with ultimate wicked awesome graphics.

Either way I found my DS now, so unless something comes out that I simply must have for 3DS I'll hold off one more generation. Simply remains to be seen.

Thanks for the info guys. Gamecube power eh? I still need to finish Twilight Princess now that I think about it.

Edit: Just read up on the NGP that someone mentioned. Yeah -- screw the 3DS. Given that on average I only play through 2 handheld games per year, plus maybe a racing game, I don't need a huge library, just a few really good games, and the NGP appears to offer me the ability to play FF7 again as well as some other PSOne classics in addition to new things. I didn't even know that was in the works -- thanks for bringing it up Sree & whoever else.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  20. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I've never once not given them credit, and I've been hating on them since the N64 launch, so no bandwagon here. My hate comes from disappointment. They spend too long on working whatever their latest gimmick is, to try to make up for most of their games being childish drivel bullshit, with low replayability, and recycled... well almost everything.

They can do better, they choose to make cartoony crap controlled by a remote with an accelerometer inside of it instead of something actually good. When Nintendo goes back to making top notch games, with at least decent graphics and controls, and stops overcharging for hardware that wasn't worth a shit 5 years ago, then I'll jump back on their bandwagon. It doesn't even have to look awesome, it just needs to look like the price we have to pay for the game is justified. When you have some SNES games that look better then your new 250-300$ system, and the games for it are worse then SNES games... I'm sorry, but that's backwards. (SNES is the best game system of all time, Gameboy is one of the best handhelds, I'm extremely pro Nintendo up until the N64's bullshit.)

They did touchscreen stuff for the DS. They dumped a ton of money and time into developing it. Most of the earlier to mid games were so fixated on trying to find lame ways to use the touch screen, that the game themselves were horrible. Fast forward a few years when the few companies Nintendo does actually have develop for it said fuck using it constantly, and the games improved drastically. Gimmicks aren't always a good thing, it forces the devs to try to include them, slowing down development of the game, and more often then not leading to some retarded uses of said gimmick, especially if the gimmick itself is poorly designed crap like the Wii motion controls.