1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Introduction Forum: Closed

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Hello DLPers,

After long consideration by the staff, we have decided to permanently close the Introductions forum.

Initially conceived as a way to promote a sense of well-being and community, this forum's use has diverged greatly since the first years of DLP's life.

Now the forum has turned into a way to 'filter' users, a hopeless endeavor that begets trolling and misrepresentation of users through a single post, hinging on the first few replied for users to bandwagon off of, ensuring popularity or excessive insults. This fosters bad feelings by all and really is not used as intended.

Thus, we've closed the forum. Posts are still archived, but no new posts will be accepted. Users will be given a chance to be judged on the content and quality of their contributions to the DLP community and not upon a trivial first post.

The DLP Staff

2. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

It served it's initial purpose well, when we were still a much smaller community, but we've grown out of it. Salud.

3. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

End of an era.

It had to happen sometime.

I expected it to happen via a massive flame battle though. Instead of burning out it just seemed to fade away.

Cheers old friend.

4. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wow, I really didn't expect to see that. However the logic behind it is sound, though slightly sad to see it go.

5. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A good idea, really. Most of the introductions were either useless or failed tropes anyways.

6. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Solid reasoning.
    But I am sad. Haiku in
    Intros is no more.

7. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Intro thread haiku
    Is perhaps long gone. Morn not:
    Haiku versatile.

8. Damask

Damask Seventh Year

Aw, fuck. A thousand times fuck. Just when I was considering posting my long overdue introduction... And to think I believed it was actually a good idea to wait until the haiku fad passed.

Agreed with Ellisande; while it is probably a smart move in what forum administration is concerned, the lulz will be greatly missed. :(

...Well, first post. Hello, DLP. Nice place you got there.

9. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Mark my words, yo. Nothing good will come of this. Nothing!

10. 13thadaption

13thadaption Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

In that case I'm really glad I (finally) posted my intro when I did. Can't say I'm not sad to see it go, but I trust the staff and their reasons.

R.I.P to the
    intro thread; The lulz are gone
    but not forgotten.

11. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

12. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

An End to an Era.

13. Torak

Torak Death Eater

Aww

We had such awesome intro's though :(

14. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Couldn't even let it go out in style? After all the entertainment it gave us?

For shame.

15. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I definitely would have posted my Introduction the last day of the archive if I would have known about it. And there would have been much lulz and haiku to be had.

/me mopes

16. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

I dunno... to me, this doesn't really seem like the best of ideas.

Yeah, I know DLP is going to keep growing, but if anything, the Introduction forum at least provided an outlet for old lurkers and new arrivals to start. As it is, I can see a lot more threads getting seriously derailed in the future because new arrivals feel they have something to say, regardless of how asinine it might be... or if they even post at all.

And yes, there was trolling and idiocy in the Introductions (I'm certainly guilty of it - I wouldn't have gotten a thread in the Hall of Shame without my behaving like a drunken jackass), but to some extent, I wasn't under the impression it was that harmful or damaging. Sure it was silly and there was some ribbing and mockery, but isn't that an essential part of the DLP experience? If you can't take it, you don't belong here - or at least that was what I always thought. And if anything, one really can't deny that it did an impressive job of keeping some of the idiots away from DLP.

Maybe it's just me, but closing the Introductions subforum seems to be a step in the wrong direction, suggesting to casual or new viewers that DLP is not willing to accept new applicants - which will ultimately lead to the slow decline of the site, if we think about this long-term.

I know the admins have thought and discussed this long and hard... I just think it might turn out to be a bad idea, that's all. But I trust you know what you're doing.

17. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

No one asked you.

18. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Granted, I know I never turned up when I was alerted cause I'm a douche too broke to pay attention. He summed up my thoughts fairly well. Looking at it as an outside perspective, I can certainly see both sides of this.

On the one hand, yeah, Intro's turned into a filter for running off "Undesirables." And its unrealistic to think we can catch every single instance, every single time fast enough that no one is gonna see it and bandwagon it or antiwagon it.

On the other hand, this just makes that very same policing extraordinarily difficult. Because, lets be honest, this is going to change nothing at all, with the sole exception being that its now going to be everywhere, instead of conveniently in one place.

But like I say, that's just my opinion and certainly not foolproof. This was still better than the alternatives, though. Sending all posts to be moderated before they get approved, banning at the slightest hint of genuine attempts at bashing and flaming vs doing it in obvious humor...

I'll take this over the other options though because I'm a lazy cunt.

19. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

I think you're missing the point here Silens.

All the intros were getting repetitive with newcomers trying to "fit" in. Also every intro was becoming either a "welcome" or a "gtfo" with the rest of dlp following suit with whatever the senior "respectable" members of dlp posted.

Without an intro post, newcomes will actually be able to voice their opinions and "then" get flamed to death rather than what they thought dlp liked to hear. Sure we got the occasional fool that didn't read the stickies or so but do we really wait out for them to give us the lulz? Moreover, dlp was going softer on newbies in other sub-forums just because all of the flaming was already done in the intro section.

I agree however, that it will lead to a slight decline in activity but not for the reasons you listed. It will be more because most people post here for the social aspect more than anything, and removing a part of the forum where they can list their favorite bands,etc and be "accepted" into this community will deprive them of that satisfaction. In fact, lots of people post in the intro forums, start posting elsewhere but slowly die out for that very reason.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  20. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

the end
    of an era
    intro forums are closed
    cinquain shits all over haiku
    po'try.