1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Deus Ex 3 Human Revolution

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by fuubar, Jun 4, 2010.

1. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

So just saw a new trailer for it. I've never played the originals but I've gotta say that this makes me want to go grab them off of steam right now.

YouTube

2. Anubis

Anubis Seventh Year

Trailer looks great - seems to be in better quality here though.

Clearly influenced by Ghost In The Shell, something that must be the fruition of the Square Enix participation. Japanese animators and CGI people being brought in to add to the Montreal ones. Not a bad thing either. Game could turn out to be pretty great.

Also, a somewhat unrelated note, but how pointless is E3 going to be this year? Everything, both news and trailers, is being leaked before it starts. May as well not bother following it at this rate...

3. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Played my way through the first two as they came out. The second bored the living hell out of me relative to the first.

My favorite thing to do was to get a sniper rifle in #1 and just play through the entire game with it except in the areas where it was simply impossible to play through with it as a weapon. Equally fun in each was to backstab as many groups as possible in as many ways as possible. If you structured the backstabbings properly you could maximize total rewards well into the late game while still remaining neutral enough to reap significant benefits.

4. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Trailer is awesome, but IMO still doesn't beat ME2 launch trailer in epicness.

Deus Ex: Human Revoultion trailer in best quality.

I'm wondering will this game be more of an RPG or more of an FPS. Or will they go FPS full way and just add some shitty, pseudo RPG elements just like ME 1. Right now Deus Ex is my most anticipated game right behind WH40K: Space Marine and Killzone 3.

Will need to find and finally finish Deus Ex 1.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  5. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Over 20 minutes of Deus Ex gameplay. Quite good but shaky. And the head of one the journalist takes 1/4 of the screen.

EDIT: And it got deleted. But it was good. Fluid change from FPP to TPP and back. Interesting takedowns with Assassin's Creed vibe - loved the one when main character brakes through a wall to kill a guard. The shooting looked generic, but from what I could hear and understand the PC could not hack robots and turrets because he didn't poses enough skill in it. If this is true than I'm happy.

EDIT 02: PC Gamer had an Deux Ex week. Three interviews and a minute-by-minute desciprtion of the demo shown at E3.

And apparantly here you can watch that demo, but I can't see anything.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  6. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

For those of you who don't know, a review copy got leaked a while ago. It's listed as beta, but completely playable. Very stable.

Oh. My. Fucking. God. This game is stunning. Even on my POS laptop with almost all the settings turned down, it simply looks beautiful.

The controls are weird, combining third and first person shooting mechanics. It feels very much like it was made for a console, but honestly once you get the hang of it, it's not bad at all.

The voice acting is excellent (FUCKING FINALLY SQUARE, YOU GOT THE VOICE ACTING RIGHT), and the story seems good so far.

Don't download the leak, it's nasty.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  7. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

I think explicitly encouraging people to pirate an unreleased game crosses a line, bro.

8. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Hmm, you may be right.

Fixed.

9. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Has SE shown any of its preference for stupidly linear gameplay? Or have they made the game at least somewhat open ended?

10. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Conversations are very similar in Mass Effect in that they're open ended. Gameplay is kind of like crysis 2 without the overpowered cloak. They give you open levels with alternative routes, and tell you to make it happen however you want.

11. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

I saw one of the demo missions at E3 for this. Not as open as the first, they still have the standard fight/hack/stealth but not as totally freeform as 1. I could see the 'paths' that they wanted you to take rather than just having you make your own way through an area.

12. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

It's generally not a good idea to base your opinion on one or two demo missions. The earlier ones might be more contained, but getting a few hours in definitely opens more pathways and the ability to mix and match which way you want to go.

13. The Berkeley Hunt

Hopefully, but contrasting this sort of semi-linear stuff with what I actually want to play makes me very very sad.

14. The Berkeley Hunt

Bit of a necro, but figured it was worth it.

Human Revolution had a really tough target to get to, what with all of the expectations created by the trailers, hype and the shadow of the original, but I think it really gets there. It has a few glaring flaws, but in general I had a ton of fun playing the game, and I felt that it was a true successor to Deus Ex.

Gameplay was amazingly fun. Stealth has a major advantage, since you die easily and there are often enough enemies to murderize you if you try a frontal assault. Alternate paths like vents or even just exploration can get you some bonus exp. and non-lethal takedowns get more points. The hacking minigame remains interesting for most of the game, but in hack-heavy sections it becomes fucking annoying to hack constantly. The conversation system is pretty standard, but in the persuasion sections I got really into trying to read the person and say the right things. The deal breaker is the boss battles. They were stupidly hard (well, at least the first one) and broke the flow of the game.

One thing that really amazed me was the environment. Especially in the tougher story areas outside of the hubs, the architecture and detail are magnificent. I often take the time to stop and just admire the beautiful scenery in and around where I'm playing. On replays, you notice even more cool details and areas, so the environment never gets boring and stays as mindblowing as it always is.

The story isn't as good as the original, but thats almost impossible to achieve. I saw a lot of the twists coming, but there was enough variation to keep me hooked until the very end, but the story does tend to take a backseat to the gameplay except in cutscenes and areas near boss battles.

I also found that the first 60% of the game was amazing, but the last 40% saw a drop in quality. I'm not quite sure why, but it just wasn't as good as the first part.

All in all, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is an amazing game. It treats the player as a competent, curious person, and caters to that instead of creating a movie for the player. I'd give it an 8/10, points taken off mostly for the boss battles, and the lower quality of the endgame. But still, a great game.

15. Rumbleroar

Rumbleroar Seventh Year

Had problems with the Boss Battles?

Just buy the Typhoon Systems Level II. I literally killed every boss in the game, except the last one, with 2 uses of the Typhoon System. Back-to-back uses. Battle lasted all of 2 seconds for each one.

16. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Are you high? The boss battles were the single easiest part of the game, as long as you didn't put your augments into completely retarded things or were doing a pacifist run there is no excuse for having to try them more than a single time on anything except the hardest difficulty. Smart vision renders their cloaking useless, grab the eye upgrade so your immune to concussion grenades, the rebreather so your immune to gas and the full dermal armor so your immune to electricity and have damage reduction. Combine this with an upgraded Heavy Rifle/Laser Rifle and possibly recoil reducer augs as well as hypostims/painkillers and you actually have to put effort into it to lose a boss fight. All of that is assuming you don't exploit the gimmicks in the fight as well, first boss fight all you need to do is toss a concussion grenade and toss some barrels at him, you win in four maybe five hits assuming you never fire a bullet at him. In the second boss fight just flip on smart vision, make sure you have electricity immunity and shoot whatever computer the little bitch is near, she gets stunned and decloaked for a huge period of time in which you can open fire with any rapid fire again and wipe out vast portions of her health. As for the Jaren as long as you have grenade immunity and the Laser Rifle its a bad joke, you just keep some walls between the two of you and Smart Vision on so you can always see him and you can continuously shoot him without loosing so much as a fraction of health.

Edit: Or just use Typhoon like he said, I avoided it because it was too easy but if you don't feel like even a token attempt you can always go with it.

17. Rumbleroar

Rumbleroar Seventh Year

[​IMG]

Edit: This is actually what happened to me. I front loaded Hacking and Utility over any combat/stealth. I felt confident enough in my own ability to outmaneuver that I didn't pick up anything relatable to either field. The first boss battle took me a while, but by chucking barrels at him, and just unloading every weapon I had... I eventually wore him out. Granted, took me quite a few lives. I didn't figure out the Typhoon-trick until the 3rd Boss, and that was by accident. I just opened up with it, cause I had the energy and the ammo, and had just bought the system and wanted to see how it worked. So yeah... at least managed to avoid the cheese until the near end. Though that bitch was hard, even with some augmenting towards combat.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  18. The Berkeley Hunt

Yeah, never got the Typhoon. Seems like a player who stealths through every situation doesn't have any need for a device that kills people in a circle around you. Also, yes, I was doing a pacifist run.

Also, unless playing on easy or the middle difficulty, Barrett is not easy, the PA strip is perfectly right. When you're trying to say how easy the boss is, then list about five separate augs necessary to beat him then he is not easy. But I do agree that with preparation and foresight the bosses aren't that hard. I stocked up on EMP mines, Dermal armour fully upgraded and a ton of shotgun shells and I didn't have a problem with any of the other bosses.

But that I had to go outside of my playstyle and conform to the one scenario the game thought was the best chafed hard. Its the only point in the game you can't really choose to resolve in multiple ways. You just kill a dude.

19. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Speaking as someone attempting a stealthy, hacking based non-combatant who has had precisely one firefight outside the prologue, and who has just arrived at Barrett...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

That aside, loving it so far.

20. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The only hacking augs I got were the ones that let me hack up to Level 5 security and maybe one or two of the Fortification ones, though I didn't even really need those.

The stealth-aid aug branch (lets you see vision-cones in your radar and such) is useless, don't get that. Stealth Camo is fun, but I don't think it's a necessity. You might appreciate a stealth-run better without it. Get the silent-footsteps aug though. The Icarus Landing System is a must, as is the Reflex Booster.

My weapons of choice are an upgraded, silenced 10mm pistol and a combat rifle. Fit the Solid Snake/Ghost in the Shell sort of theme I was trying to emulate.

Some funny DX3 related videos I've found:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y414Q7vVgYU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whtNHRYJnrU

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011