1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Steam Sales & Gifts Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by JohnThePyro, Nov 28, 2010.

1. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Valve Complete Pack. I hadn't heard of that, so I was a bit puzzled by what I found after following the link. It has language support for "Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Korean, Spanish, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, , Japanese, Russian, Thai, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Swedish, Thailanguages with full audio support, Traditional Chineselanguages with full audio support, Czech, Hungarian, Romanian", but for some reason the Australian translation must've been too difficult, because it's not available on Steam in Australia.

Ultimately, the Valve Complete Pack isn't that great a deal. It's okay, but not a must have.

Most of the games in the Complete Pack are ones that I'd never play anyway. You may as well buy just the games that you actually want and save yourself some money.

Orange Box - $19.99
    Left For Dead Bundle - $29.99
    Portal 2 - $49.99

If you don't like zombie shooter co-ops, then you can save yourself $30 straight away by dropping L4D 1 and 2.

Doesn't everybody already own the Orange Box? You may as well save some cash there too. If you don't already own it, what's wrong with you?

We all know that Portal 2 is going to be on sale soon. Last year's Steam 'Perils of Summer' sale had heavy discounts across a huge range of games from June 24 to July 4, 2010. I'd expect to see Portal 2 discounted during this year's expected summer sale too. If you held off buying Portal 2 at release, then surely you can wait an extra 3-4 weeks to see what happens at the summer sale.

Every other game in the Valve Complete Pack is there for nostalgia reasons and new owners are never going to give them more than a token play. Possible exceptions are the original Half Life and Counterstrike, but CS freaks already own CS and anyone who wants to play Half-Life has had 13 years to get themselves a copy.

2. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Five bucks for Red Faction: Guerilla, which I enjoyed the hell out of.

3. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Original and RFII is also $3 each. Havent got to RFG yet but I liked the first two.

4. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I haven't played the storyline to RF:G, but it is very fun to run around destroying buildings. That game takes "fully destructible environments" very seriously.

5. Tehan

Allow me to summarize it: "that building is inhabited by/is owned by/somehow assists bad guys!" Repeat until ending cutscene. It's not the most elegant of stories, but the physics are jaw-droppingly beautiful.

6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Never feel sorry for me for buying that game. It was worth every penny, and even then, I can't afford to splash out on £100 worth of games at once.

7. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

50% of capcom games on impulse this week.

Dead Rising 2 for 20 USD. Resident Evil 5 15$ and Street Fighter IV for 15$.

8. Tehan

Seven fitty for the entire Civ 4 shebang, including Warlords, Beyond The Sword, and Colonization. If you can't stand hexagons, it's the Civ you need. Next thirteen hours only.

9. yak

I've tried playing Colonization half a dozen times, but never managed to finish it. Not because it's difficult, but because of show-stopping bugs at end-of-turn. Last time I played I finally managed to declare a revolution against the king, but one turn later it bugged out on me again.

The rest of Civilization IV is as solid as a rock, and it's a rare couple of months that I don't play a game or two. I'm in the middle of one right now.

Edit: Just in case I was unclear, $7.49 USD for CivIV Complete Edition is a bargain. Highly recommended. Warlords and Beyond the Sword are both solid expansions to the CivIV game.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  10. azrael

azrael Professor

DC Universe Online is half off this weekend, which leads me to two questions.
    1: Is it worth getting?
    2. Does the free month start from purchase or could I buy it now while on sale and then wait before activating it?

EDIT: Thanks, yak.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  11. yak

Try this video review: http://revision3.com/trs/dcuo

The three kids of the 80s from TRS seemed to like it, and between the three of them you end up with a fairly balanced and considered review of DCUO.

12. Skykes

13. Tehan

Dear European whining about exchange rates,

Fuck you.

Sincerely, Australia.

14. yak

Oh, God. Let's not get into a dick-measuring contest over who's being screwed the worst by regional pricing.

15. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Kyke: If it bothers you so much get an American to gift it to you and paypal them the money.

16. Tehan

People have gotten their accounts banned for that. It's against the TOS.

17. Skykes

How can they find out :3

18. yak

I didn't know that.

I know that you can have your account suspended if you transfer the account. It's a common practice to create a new account, add one game to it, and then sell that account to someone who wants to play that game. Valve object to the practice [it violates the Steam Subscriber Agreement] and will ban any accounts which they discover to be transferred. Due to the 'one game per account' trading scheme, you should only end up losing the one game.

Another common pitfall is having someone gift you a game and then the gifter does a credit chargeback on their card [typically after the gift recipient has paid the sender via Paypal]. Valve auto-suspends the gift recipient's entire account. Valve don't want to wear credit card chargeback costs, so they go to extreme lengths like this to discourage people from doing deals with dodgy sellers. Make sure that you trust the person you're receiving the gift from before you accept it. Never accept a gift from an unknown user.

Frankly the Steam Subscriber Agreement is far too long and full of crap for me to try and decipher whether getting a mate to gift you a Steam game that you've recompensed him for is grounds for account suspension. So long as you trust the person who's gifting the game to you, and you don't go and shout about it in the Steam forums, it's difficult to see how you'd get in trouble anyway. Just be sure to use a friend and not some Steam gifting service which is inevitably going to get found out.

You should probably do some research on other people's experiences if you want to go ahead with this.

Another thing you can do it to buy Steam game keys online from retailers. Plenty of people do this, though there have been a few issues in the past with the key-resellers receiving dodgy keys, and IIRC, Valve disabled some people's Orange Boxes when they tried to use Thailand keys, but those are the exceptions rather than the rule. So do your research on customer experiences of the key reseller and caveat emptor. Your best bet is to probably start here: http://www.cdkeyprices.com/

19. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

They backtraced it! :O

20. yak

Everything at Telltale Games is 75% off.

[yt]HjRt39__yXM[/yt]