1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Geminio by Portus -M-

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by iLost, Jun 11, 2011.

1. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

Title: Geminio
    Author: Portus
    Rating: M
    Genre: ?????
    DLP Category: ???????
    Pairing: Moody/OC Isabelle
    Words: 16,548
    Published: June 10, 2011

Summary: Some things never change, no matter a past which no longer sleeps. This is a lesson Alastor Moody must learn first-hand.
    Link: FF.net

Okay, since Portus actually used my idea for the summary, I had to repay the favor and put this up For Review. The genre and DLP category are left blank for one reason, the author has expressed a desire for the outcome of the fic to be a surprise. Honoring those wishes I left it blank for all the readers who come here only for reccs.

For those that have to know.

Time Travel

For DLP regulars, you already where this should be placed considering the recent contest.

I really have no bad things to say about this fic. Normally I have several critiques, but I just love this a lot. The character was a great interpretation of a secondary character. The romance was handled quite well, considering their age when it happened. I love the truth that Moody has to face at the end.

Also the Albus and Moody byplay was good, so was how his classmates reacted to him.

And the surprise was definitely worth reading it. It also did one thing that most fics cannot. It kept me guessing. The mark of a good author is not only original spin with the plot, but how much he reveals. Revealing too much leaves me bored, not enough and I'm confused. This struck a great balance, and thus held my attention the entire time.

I could go on, but this is a perfect example of what belongs in the library. 5 out of motherfucking 5.

Checked by Minion, August 19, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2013
  2. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Just made of win. The action is incredible - Alastor Fucking Moody indeed - but the most impressive thing for me is that there's a great balance between the badassery and the character development and, dare I say it, the emotion. Just a wonderful fic all round.

5/5, no question about it.

3. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

Very well written. I actually plan on using it to introduce someone to fanfics. The flashbacks feel like they could easily be canon, it fits with Moody's character so well.

5/5

4. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

You should be proud of this piece, Portus. Simple, straight to the point, undeniably effective, the story mirrors that of Moody's personality perfectly, nicely telegraphing the end, which I should have seen coming, but did not.

5/5. A worthy victor to May's contest.

5. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I completely agree with this. 5/5 from me for an excellent quality story.

6. Portus

Portus Heir

Thank you again for the summary suggestion.

I'm happy I was able to mask enough of the repitition with misdirection to make the ending a surprise. I'm always happy when a story blindsides me with something I might've seen coming, by using subtlety and misdirection. Kind of like the way Concentric Wavelengths skull-fucked me with the reveal.

You know, I cannot think of a better compliment than that. I'm very honored.

7. Myst

Myst Headmaster

Honestly, this was brilliant. Like the others have said before, this work kept me guessing all the time. Moody and his past self were written so believably that it could have easily fit into a prequel of the actual HP series.

I would definitely be interested in any sort of multi-chapter work you would have planned.

5/5

8. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

^My thoughts exactly, even though I've said it already. Though, maybe I should just shut-up and wait.:oops:

9. NightFox

NightFox Seventh Year

5/5 - Easy decision.

The portrayal of Moody was pretty much perfect, the romance was effective without consuming the piece, and the little one-liners here and there just put it all together. And of course, the twist wasn't something I only vaguely guessed at with the woman in the morning, but all the other events made it seem that Moody was just one of the last vengeful survivors.

I'm glad this wasn't continued, actually. This is a type of story that doesn't need to be continued in the least: it stands alone, untarnished by unnecessary words and just does what it sets out to do.

10. Roma

Roma Fourth Year

5/5- I didn't enjoy as much as the others did, for no reason I can specify I never connected to Moody, but that dosen't take away from the fact that it is one of the most well written pieces of fanfiction I have read.

11. Reza

Reza Second Year DLP Supporter

This story was full of win. I loved the Badass!Moody. This was one the best one-shots I've read.

5/5

12. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Time to put this baby in the library.

5/5