1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

June Awards Annoucement and Judge Thread

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Antivash, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

Literally what went through my head when I saw/quoted it, and why I didn't say any more (read: just continue ranting).

Yeah, thought removing it was probably the best bet. Pretty drunk yesterday, which is why it took me a whole hour to realise just how retarded it was.

:backpedal

Gawn and got me thinking about a crossover, though, now.

2. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

We're good then, so long as you are properly ashamed with it. D:

3. Rym

Rym Auror

Quick question.

First time I'll be submitting something and was wondering what the absolute deadline is. June 30th at midnight?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  4. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Yep.

But since it is unlikely the submission thread closes automatically, I'd try putting it up before that. Don't wait until the last minute or you run the risk of having a lazy Vash close the thread before going to bed. Shit happens.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
    Rym
  5. Portus

Portus Heir

Yeah, get it in early to be safe, since I imagine a Mod will close it at midnight *their* time, which may be before or after midnight where you are.

6. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    There are multiple people including myself participating for the first time this month. It might be worthwhile to repost the mechanics of submitting a story along with other potential gotchas (how long, if at all, the story is open for authorial editing; what's the right way to post a longer multi-chaptered story, etc.) or a link to a discussion of same.

7. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Once you submit a topic you can't edit the post, 1. Because it takes some time for a moderator to approve the topic therein, and 2. To keep judges comments safe from bemoaning, no user not a judge is allowed to view whats within any topic.

Trying to just copypaste the edit link to your topic results in a denial of privilege to access the page. So make sure you've got everything ready before clicking the Submit button, because once you do its up until results clear the next month.

As a result, to my understanding, you've got little choice but to include the sum of the story/chapters in a single post with some kind of a break in between(Chapter X, if nothing else for example)

8. Perspicacity

High Score:
    Thanks for the tips, Zenzao. Just to be clear: one goes to the new submissions area, starts a new thread, and submits a complete submission that cannot be modified afterward--did I get that right? Is there a "mother may I" step first of getting authorization from a Mod in order to post a new thread?

Is there a limit (character or word) to the length of a submission? I ask because my story will likely exceed 10k words and I'd find it frustrating if I were only able to post a portion of it.

9. Rym

Rym Auror

I doubt you'll have a problem with length. Some of the previous entries have been 15k or longer.

10. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

You can make a second post in your topic with a second chapter, but it will get auto-merged if there isn't much time in between. At least that's what happened to me. So it's probably better to put it into one post right away, and I'm sure a character limit won't be a problem -- it's the usual Forum standard, the same as in the WBA and elsewhere.

And yes, that is how it works. Everyone can make new topics in the Submission Forum, it gets authorised afterwards. So it's possible you won't see your new thread right away (I forgot if it worked that way :rolleyes:); but it'll be there, visible to you, once a Mod had time to activate it.

11. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    That's how it works, Pers. You submit it and then no longer have access to it until it's authorized. I did not request authorization beforehand, but then I didn't think it was needed.

Edit: Sesc is ninja.

12. Perspicacity

High Score:
    Coolness. Thanks!

13. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

The easiest way to do it is post it and pester Vash on IRC for hours until it goes through.

14. Antivash

For the sake of everyone, I'll just drop this here and maybe make an announcement with all of the same info..

All stories are to be submitted to the "Award Story Submission" forum of the Work By Authors section at the bottom of the page.

Stories with more than one chapter can be difficult depending on the length. Currently, DLP's maximum character limit per post is 300k. That is characters and not words.

You cannot edit (Or see, if I remember the settings right) your thread once you've posted it, so make certain you get absolutely everything you can into it.

Deadlines are the last day of every month, at11:59PM. I've also got a reason to be awake at that time now, so if one mod doesn't do it, it will be closed to submissions then.

Remember: Procrastination is like masturbation. End the end, all you're doing is fucking yourself.

You don't need to ask permission to post, but all posts must be approved by the staff before it shows up for the judges. I'd wager it was set up that way to make sure someone didn't post after the deadline and confuse the judges.

If I missed anything, let me know. >_>

15. Perspicacity

High Score:
    Thanks a bunch, Vash. I guess the only thing ambiguous is the time zone for the closing (in case anyone is planning to work up to the last minute).

300k characters is 60-70k words, so it's unlikely to be restrictive for anyone. That's cool.

16. Antivash

Timezone... Ehh. I think it really depends on who is getting it done, but since I've done it the last few times, lets just assume that we're running on Central Standard Time (UTC-6) until someone decides to set an official time.

17. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Just wondering, I'm doing a HP/Eva crossover, not including Eva characters, but a lot of the canon eg. Angels and Instrumentality etc. Is this ok, or is it too much 'fusion' for the contest?

/confused by the whole fusion thing.

18. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

Hmm, don't like my odds of finishing this by the deadline. I'm going to try to abandon my normal meticulous method of outlining, in an attempt to write faster. The quality might suffer, but at least I might get it done.

Might.

19. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

When I judged the Humor month I recall Lord Anarchy managing to post twice in his thread. When I posted my Alternates story I was able to view the thread for a few days also. Not sure what those entail, though.

I'm no expert, but if you are using the Angels they can be construed as villains, so I see them as characters, but the staff as the final say on that. A fusion idea, in easy to remember terms, is doing a HP/Inception, with just the dream/dream/dream part. No characters. Fusion=ideas fused with HP. Any clearer?

And, I can't wait to read your story. Even if you don's submit in time, throw it in WBA.

20. Antivash

Mmm. I forgot that. I was on IRC at the time and he asked about it. I think I had him post a second thread and I merged them or something.

Suppose that's always an option if need be.