1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Watch for me

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Hero of Stupidity, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The next semester I will be working a lot in the workshop, so I won't have the opportunity to use my mobile and answer calls or I just won't hear it because the noises.

So I'm looking for a watch or bracelet or something like that, that has Bluetooth in it, and has a caller ID option and it shows time.Some protection against things that could happen in a workshop(water,dust,etc.).Of course the goal is a reasonable price and good looks.

I eagerly await your input.

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Why didn't you post this in real life? This is for DLP realted support problems.

D: Every post in support makes Raven sad.

3. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Here's how people handle it in industry, at least in Australia...

Forget your fucking phone. The bloody world isn't going to end because the kids are arguing and the wife wants you to talk to them, or to remind you to pickup milk on the way home, or some other bullshit that you can't do anything about while you're at work anyway and can just fucking wait a few hours. There's nothing worse than a co-worker who's yammering or typing on the phone, ignoring their workplace, and not doing their fucking job while everyone else is nose-to-the-grindstone.

If you're working in a metal workshop, then you're misjudging a few things. One. It is very loud, shrieks of metal and grinders and oxy torches blowing through steel plate. You have to step outside the workshop to take a call. Two. You have to continuously remove your filthy work gloves just to take your phone out of your pocket... you can't send an sms with gloves on. Three. The metal dust in the air is going to fuck your phone's speaker and microphone up. Both of them contain magnets, and even if you leave your phone in your pocket or a protective case, that metal dust will find a way in there and ruin your phone. Scratched screens from metal and ordinary dust are a big problem too.

tl;dr: If you insist on carrying a phone into a workshop, prepare to replace it in 6-12mo. You tit.

4. Hero of Stupidity

High Score:
    I perfectly agree with everything you said. But, I wont take my mobile in the workshop, only the watch/bracelet to see if somebody calls me and is it important, if it is, then I can step out and take it. And I'm a designer not a metalworker, so there are no bulky gloves and things like that.

It's just a question of practicality for me, not having to get my phone every time it rings IF i even hear it.

5. JenosIdanian

JenosIdanian Professor DLP Supporter

HoS... sounds like you want a Bond-level spacegadget, and since you'll be in a workshop you ought to:
    1. Design it yourself, ala Kvothe
    2. Have the people there make it
    3. ???
    4. PROFIT!!!

Seriously though... do things that small with said functionalities even exist for less money than it takes to buy a decent sized piece of land in the middle of nowhere?

6. Hero of Stupidity

High Score:
    The problem is that my old watch broke, and I wanted to replace it. So I thought why not bluetooth watch.

But dude you gave me an excellent idea for term project. Thanks.

7. JenosIdanian

Haha, make it like an old school Mr. Game and Watch, with a million buttons and the ability to input nuclear launch codes. :awesome

8. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I really can't give any actual advice on this since I don't have a watch like that. I quick Google search turned up this though so the product you want does exist. I'd try browsing around Amazon a bit to see what you find. Also the second review on this watch sounds pretty close to be someone that is in your shoes, I would read that one.

9. JenosIdanian

Holy shit, this thing is a mix of :nyan: , :fire , and :awesome. I've got to have one!

10. Rym

Rym Auror

11. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Ericsson-Liveview-display-Android/dp/B004E2V4NM/ref=pd_cp_cps_3 Pretty much what you want.

Bluetooth devices don't have an amazing range though, so it'll probably need to be in your pocket. Really, you shouldn't have anything distracting you while you work. It's the worst idea. I do metalwork for a hobby and shit can get serious quickly, a small distraction could mean the difference between taking your eyes off your work for a second and losing your fingers and keeping them.

12. Portus

Portus Heir

Well, while the one Raven linked sounds pretty cool, I thought I'd chime in as well.

If you're working in a woodshop (*someone* on DLP is a woodworker, but I can't recall exactly who), then the sawdust is less of a problem than the bits of metal you'd encounter in a metalworking shop. Still not good for the electronics (and certainly not good for your lungs), but ASAIK, not nearly as bad as the bits of metal.

In all the small- to medium-sized woodworking shops I've been in, there's a wall-mounted phone in which a strobe light comes on when there's a call. As has been pointed out, workshops can be very noisy, and even if you could make the ringing loud enough, it's just dangerous to potentially startle someone feeding a warped length of lumber into a bandsaw or tablesaw.

Two things I dream of having when (not *if*, dammit) I'm able to expand and build my "forever" shop, are an industrial-strength dust collector (I fucking HATE all the dust that gets ejected from my tools) and one of these. <-- Coolest use of technology I've seen in a long time, since I like being able to count to ten without resorting to toes.

13. Teresoul

Teresoul Seventh Year

... did anyone think of a pager? It might be ancient technology, but sounds like you could use one....

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011