1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo 3DS

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Midknight, Oct 3, 2010.

1. AAli

AAli High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Zelda is coming out soon so I picked one of these up a few weeks ago, the Augmented Reality stuff is really impressive, the 3D effect is brilliant. I've not had any problems with headaches or anything but a few people who tried it for more than 10 minutes did.

Bought Ridge Racer and Street Fighter with it, both are much better than I was expecting, the 3D really works so well.

Zelda coming out in a few weeks, Metal Gear Solid coming soon (the end of that video is just :awesome: ), Mario Kart 3D and then there's going to be a brand new Super Mario coming this year.

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Street Fighter is better on the consoles and PC. HINT HINT. :p

3. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

Fixed that for you.

4. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Lulz. Don't like the GFWL on the PC version, I'm guessing? So many people bitch about that, but I've never had any problem with it. It is my only GFWL game though.

Wait. Do you have it on the PS3? :S

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  5. AAli

AAli High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Fuck the Water Temple.

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'm thinking I'm gonna jump on the PSP2 bandwagon and skip the 3DS myself. Probably anyway. I'm still happy enough with my DSLite at the moment -- haven't run out of games I want to try. From what I've read the battery life on the 3DS is worse than the DSLite and the 3DS doesn't add much to the gameplay apart from graphics -- or is that wrong?

7. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I was considering getting the PSP2 myself. But I know I'll end up getting the 3DS simply because it will have the next Pokemon generation (even though I was unsatisfied with B/W) and the Professor Layton series will have it's final two games on it. There was also a reasonable amount of interesting RPGs on the DS in the end (Radiant Historia the most recent), which no doubt will carry over to the new Nintendo handheld.

That said, it won't be until one of the improved versions comes along in a year or two time that I purchase one. 3DSi.

Actually, since there was no real place for it in any other topic, and it isn't worth an entire topic to itself, what were the best RPGs on the DS? I've got:

- Radiant Historia. I'm not finished, since it's actually a reasonably long game, but what I've played so far is quite good.
    - Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals. Genuinely fun, but the story was too abbreviated from the original snes version to make proper sense/get too invested. Even so, that ending...
    - Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. Yet to play.
    - Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. Wish this had been harder...
    - Dragon Quest VI. Yet to play this or any Dragon Quest. Heard this had a better story than IX (and V had the best story, but good luck finding that anywhere that'll ship to Australia besides Amazon).
    - FF3. I've already played 4 back in the day and not that fussed about playing a more difficult update.

Haven't been that great a Kingdom Hearts fan, or a Mario/Luigi one. I've never touched a Zelda game since I've never owned a console. Heard mixed things about the handheld versions. Uh... Etyrian Odyssey games sound far too difficult and grindy. On the fence about The World Ends With You because I've heard it's really grindy too, but I'm leaning towards it as my next purchase. That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

You forgot Chrono Trigger. Frickin' awesome game. Was originally for SNES but there's an awesome DS version. Worth playing.

Also thanks for the list -- I generally prefer RPGs myself, and you gave me some to check out. Especially Golden Sun, as I played the GBA version of that I think and was impressed. I usually round it out with a racing game of some kind for when I don't want to remember where I'm at in a storyline. My main problem is that I only play maybe one game a year on a handheld system, so I don't really get my money's worth out of upgrading systems that often. But the PSP2 will have some of my old favorites (like FFVII), and there are still plenty of games that I want to try on the DSLite without upgrading.

9. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Chrono Trigger?

I <3 you.

10. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I knew I should've gone upstairs and dug through the drawer under my bed when I decided to add the RPG bit. I also have Chrono Trigger. Bought it on a whim while on holidays six months ago, being skeptical about the DBZ art, but I didn't regret it. It was indeed a fine game. Well worth it the purchase and definitely something I'll enjoy playing again.

Edit:

Golden Sun Dark Dawn is a decent game. Worth playing if you're a fan of the first two for sure. It's not great like the first (or the second, which I enjoyed as much, if not slightly more, than the first, though the majority seems to find the first better), but it's never bad. The puzzles are too easy, though visually interesting and very different from the first two games except for a couple throwbacks, and only two bosses really trouble you. No grinding really required. Even with the disappointing difficulty, it's fun, interesting and still the same classic gameplay. My favourite part? The battles are still very short.

Also, I'd recommend Radiant Historia if you like a good story. Fairly military, but still fantasy. (Actually, the description of the story on it's wiki page is quite good without spoiling more than the first hour of gameplay. Just don't the character descriptions.) Don't pay attention too much the Chrono Trigger comparisons. They're basic at best. Different take on the time travel. Two parallel timelines, choices making divergent paths. Items, abilities or saving people, for example, in one timeline, allows you to progress in another. It's still pretty linear, but immersive. 10 hours of gameplay and I'm in chapter four of, I believe, fourteen (seven in each timeline, and i'm in two on both sides). So, for once, it's actually fairly long.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  11. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I really enjoyed TWEWY; yeah, it can be grindy, but that's made up for by the battling system IMHO. Really unique from what I've seen, and a ton of fun. I liked the game enough to spend hours and hours after finishing it just going around and battling things until I ran out of things to do. Which is a point that is quite hard to get to, trust me.