1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

If that's the case, Harry doesn't consider himself a Ravenclaw anymore either?

2. Hw597

Hw597 Seventh Year

The idea did make me smile.Very random but I think you are right, it might work. Also liked Perspecacity supprise immobolization idea. That small change helps justify Harry's attitude change.

3. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

So I think I'm a little confused. Is this fic the one where Harry's brother is evil and mildly retarded, and everyone ignores Harry for no apparent reason? Or am I thinking of a different story?

4. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

[​IMG]

Yes. This is a very, very different story. And much, much better.

5. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Different story. In this fic, Harry's twin brother is Nathan. Nathan is the Boy Who Lived and has the curse scar. Nathan is at Hogwarts. Harry left Hogwarts and went to Durmstrang half way through his first year because he had no friends at Hogwarts, was tired of living in his brother's shadow, and he'd rapidly outpaced the Hogwarts curriculum.

6. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

...I somehow got this story confused with Unsung Hero. Wtf, brain. :facepalm

At least now I have something new to read.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  7. Kalypso

Kalypso Second Year

The idea of Harry as Hogwarts champion is very interesting, but I can´t see that happening.
    I don´t think the goblet will base his decision on some administrative loophole (Harry started at Hogwarts) and Harry definitely doesn´t consider himself a Hogwarts student- I mean even before he learned occlumency he subconsciously repressed his memories from his time at Hogwarts, that´s pretty extreme!
    He wants to stand before his old classmates as Durmstrang champion and considers Durmstrang superior to Hogwarts.

8. Dark Raku

Dark Raku Second Year

How can you possiblely confuse this story with that story? UH being worse by far - well actually it had an alright start but then went downhill rapidly - but yes, at least you have something new to read. :D I assure you, you should definately enjoy this story. It redefines the whole idea of the "BWL" genre.

9. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Wow, do you realize that we're getting to the point in the story where discussing the Tri-Wizard tournament for the billionth time will finally not be considered a slight thread derail?

Anyway, updated in WBA.

10. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

Well done, Santi. I especially liked the way events led to Harry casting his first properly Dark spell. Romulus is a boss, as always. Very much enjoyed it, looking forward to Chapter 13 Part 1.

11. Catman

Catman DA Member

Very well done, very foreboding with the scene discussing the fake memory. I'll admit my mind went places about what actually happened.

I also like that his animagus form isn't some uber end all, or even a particularly powerful animal. It was about simply accomplishing the transformation, and it was done well.

I'll admit, when I was reading the description of his form, obviously I was on edge waiting for a name to be dropped. When I saw the word elegant, I read elephant and boy was I :awesome

12. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Now, I want to know what exactly happened in Harry's detention. It seems Potter were right with their worries about someone messing with their son and probably in more ways than they imagined.

Also, out of curiosity - how hard is Cruciatus Curse in this fic? Would it impress Romulus if he saw it done by Harry or being Unforgivable doesn't make it any more impressive than some other dark spells?

13. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

The Cruciatus curse could be what Harry was so reluctant to show Romulus. Also, is Pettigrew dead, d'you reckon? The blood and finger line is the same as canon, but that could be a red herring, I suppose.

14. Nooblet

Nooblet Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Like no one ever was..

15. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

The detention and its aftermath make a lot more sense now. Kind of obvious in retrospect, but I had completely forgotten about the restrictions placed on Durmstrang professors in regards to physical punishment.

Calypso...complications from the pseudo rupturing curse?

16. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

One more thought about this chapter - Calypso mysterious sickness. I may be wrong, but the first thing that comes to my mind is that she's unable to have children. It makes sense when you consider mentioning a marriage contract, because giving a heir is one of the most important things for a wife to do. Also, Calypso is somehow happy, because this makes her pretty much useless for Romulus in any plans he had for her as a part of a political marriage, so she can freely chase after Harry.

Lately, I tried to postpone this moment, but here it is - this post marks my 100th response in this thread. I really hope that at least half of them was on a topic.

17. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

18. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I just assumed that Ivan Dutov was exempt from the restrictions because he was the caretaker and not a professor.

Thank you! I couldn't work out why Calypso would be happy about being barren.

I love the changing relationship between Calypso and her father.

19. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

Boy, am I glad I wasn't the only one who read it like that. I was starting to ask why Harry could even fit in the room when I reread the sentence. I would never have thought of Harry being a Doberman. Kudos,The Santi, for surprising me again.

Seeing Harry get the hang of the Crucio curse on the toad was awesome, showing how he implemented it was great. I can't wait 'til he meets Neville. Maybe he'll Crucio his toad right in front of that weak little shit. Maybe he'll do it and say a witty line about parents too. :awesome

20. Hw597

Hw597 Seventh Year

The update felt very rushed in regards to Harry academic year projects. I got the sense that you wanted to wrap things up and get to next year. Part of me wants that as well but this story is better than that. I will clarify what I mean a little.

When Harry was showing the patronus spell to Romulus, I was (and actually still am) uncertain if that was his final project exam/ showing, or just a visit. There was no build to it and no nervousness every student has before any exam. What I suspect was the Charms and Transfigurations projects were barely reffered to.

A large part of the appeal of this story is Harry's magical progression. I think people are drawn to it because it is so well paced with just the right amount of detail. I am intrested in seeing how a great wizard is (plausibly) made. I want to read about how Dumbledores suggestions helped Harry better his conjuration. I want to have some picture of what he is capable of with it. I want to know what his breakthrough was with the patronus charm. Is he planning on mastering his animagus by exposure to to the animal or limb by limb transfiguration . And I have absolutely no idea how you have illusions work in this story, their difficulty or complexity.

I understand that you don't want to create info dumps but if this really is the year close it needs something more. At the end of each year we have always had a sense of what harry has learnt/acheived and what he is now capable of. This year started off the same but right at the end there are some pretty major jumps.

Not open for further replies.