1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. 4arms

4arms Second Year

What I meant was that she is as innocent as Harry is now....I.e. She knows dark arts but havent used it for Voldemort or against Potter family and friends, if based on Unforgivables- Moody should also be outcasted!

Its one thing to hear the stories of people doing bad things, and other to first hand see them and to try and stop them....While James was 11 yrs old he had a foggy idea of Sirius' family being dark...when the concept of dark became clear Sirius and James were already best mates....Same goes for Lily- being a Muggleborn she was ignorant of dark magic and thus her friendship with Snape......

I agree with you yak..I sort of forgot about this incident

2. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

I think if Harry was taking OWLs or whatever it would have been mentioned already.

3. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Standardized testing doesn't really seem to fit in to the Durmstrang teaching method.

4. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

Yes, it seems more likely that they'd be taken by a Durmstrang student (or graduate) on their own time, if and only if that wizard needed them for his post-school life.

They might be necessary for a post-Durmstrang wizard who wanted a U.K. Ministry job, for instance...

5. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

The Santi also mentions Durmstrang using the 'owl system', but has never again made reference to it, either for class grades or Wizarding Levels.

6. Azotez

Azotez Seventh Year

Come on... really, theres a huge difference between Sirius, Snape and then Calypyso. Sirius did not want to have anything to do with his family, and Lily has know Snape for most of his life.

Calypso, on the other hand loves the dark arts. Harry had trouble casting the crucio curse and with just a few words, (a minimum of guidance) Calypso shows him exactly how it is done properly. This got to show everyone that she know how it is done. That she has prior experience casting the unforgiveables.

Even with Harry's family being somewhat open to people born into dark families, it does not change that James and Lily will have a very hard time accepting Calypso. She isn't exactly repentant. She does not want to abolish the dark art.

She loves the dark arts. She is good at it. She thrives in its environment. That is the biggest difference.

If the Triwizard tournament is written as in canon, and Calypso is "saved" from the lake by Harry, he will be forced to tell his family exactly how close they are.

As Yak said, The Potters have a phobia for all things dark. If Calypso is honest with Harry's family, there is not exactly a whole lot of redeeming features about her. She is manipulative, arrogant, proud and loves the dark arts. There isn't a single thing that either James nor Lily would like about her.

What would be interesting, would be to see Nathen winning the Triwizard championship, just like in canon, and Harry having a hard time accepting it, as most of it (if not all) would be due to luck e.g.

I apologize if some of this did not make a whole lot of sense, but I am somewhat drunk at the moment.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  7. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

Really? What I got from that scene was that Harry wasn't really mad enough at Neville to curse him with it and she was pointing that out. Harry finally cast the curse properly because he changed his motivation to someone he actually hated to his core.

I wouldn't really say she loves the dark arts either. She accepts them sure but it's not like she's shown to value them more than other useful magic.

If Harry has to save her from the lake it means nothing. Nathan couldn't be taken and she's one of his best friends. His parents know that already. Harry had to get Ron in canon.

8. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

Yes. Calypso is clearly much worse than Snape. Snape who knew more dark curses as a first year than most 7th years. Snape who has been fascinated by the Dark Arts his whole life (and still is if his character is similar to canon). Snape who joined Voldemort and was marked. Snape who turned over the prophecy to Voldemort that resulted in the death of Harry's grandparents. Snape who is still one of Lily's closest friends.

Meanwhile Calypso comes from a dark family, is good at the Dark Arts, likes them to an extent, and doesn't want Harry to ignore a whole branch of magic and waste his potential. Clearly Calypso is the devil incarnate and while Snape is as white as fresh snow.

I don't know how the Potters will react to Calypso. You don't know either. Nobody but Santi knows at this point. But to suggest that it wouldn't be hypocritical for the Potter's (or at least Lily) to disapprove of and shun Calypso is retarded. It absolutely would be. Maybe they act that way. People rationalize their hypocrisy all the time. But for the love of god stop making Calypso out to be worse than Snape. Snape is absolutely a worse human being who's delved deeper into the Dark Arts and done more evil than Calypso. Period.

And now I hate myself for getting involved in this extended faggotry. Just stop this discussion already. Every possible point or argument for all sides of the discussion has already been made. All that's being done now is just repeating the same old, worn-out talking points (myself included). The horse is glue folks. Move on.

9. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

It occurred to me just now that, should speculation about Calypso being unable to bear children due to a dark curse meant for him become known to Harry, it would serve as a perfectly good reason for Harry to begin to "push the boundaries" of dark magic, if only to help in her recovery.

I've often wondered when rereading this story what sort of jumping off point The Santi would use for Harry becoming a no shit "dark wizard." Even the punishment that he just received shouldn't do it in my mind. A desire to protect oneself and learn a decent arsenal of combat spells isn't enough to mark one as a dark wizard. In canon Aurors were even allowed to use Unforgivables under Crouch's leadership, if I'm remembering correctly, but nobody turned around and said "you're dark" after the fighting was over.

So basically I've always thought that it takes more than simply using dark magic to be a dark wizard. You have to immerse yourself in the dark arts and do a bit more than learn a few nasty spells.

At first I thought that Harry might really jump off the deep end after finding out or suspecting that Nathan was a horcrux, but the obvious issue there is that he wouldn't know until someone told him what a horcrux was - which wouldn't be until late in the story - or Harry would already have to be deep into dark magic.

I like this speculation about helping Calypso better because it's less contrived and gets the ball moving faster on Harry's study of dark magic, but essentially keeps the motivation for learning the dark arts the same. Harry would unearth dark power out of the desire to do good, which I think is more in character in this story than simply having him go around the bend, which frankly I don't want to see happen.

Time will tell, I guess.

10. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

I'm inclined to say that a good platform to launch Harry onto the Dark Lord scene would be Harry coming along for the ride on the Cup and getting the shit kicked out of him.This would trigger an even bigger I-am-helpless-I-must-become-the-very-best phase but which would sting Harry even more because he had to be rescued from the graveyard by his brother, who he sees as inferior to him.

11. gullibleoats

gullibleoats Seventh Year

I don't think the problem is that she can't give birth, because that doesn't make sense. They're 13 years old, and back then I sure as hell wasn't thinking about kids. And despite that marriage contract thing, didn't Calypso decide she didn't want to discuss it till later on? The only thing we do know is that it's something bad enough or important enough for Harry to have to decide between Calypso and his family.

12. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

Her clitoris turned into a penis. And she's got to work up the nerve to tell Harry about it.

But seriously, that's what everyone is probably thinks it's going to be happening. Not the penis thing, the barren thing. I'm hoping for a twist though, but I've been burned before.

13. Wizardmon0073

Wizardmon0073 Second Year

It is totally obvious. Ron Weasley has already foreshadowed it in his glorious wisdom.

Because Calypso was casting Unforgivables and raising Inferi every night in secret to corrupt innocent Harry Potter, botched Entrail-expelling curse must have been the last straw.

Her soul turned black and evil.

14. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

And she became a soul music performer. ;)

15. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

Read the summary again, Harry's gonna be a Dark Wizard, not a Dark Lord, pretty big difference. There's no need for a second character-building exercise by way of humiliation, not this soon anyway, what would be the point of having him learn the same lesson twice?

You weren't raised in a prestigious family in desperate need of heirs in a society where arranged marriages aren't a novelty of the past but reality if you live in the right social strata. The reason she didn't want to discuss the contract with Harry is because their relationship at that point was barely starting to delve into the romantic, and that she knew that Harry wasn't comfortable with the idea of an arranged marriage, unlike her who had been raised knowing that it was what was expected of her.

16. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

Pirazy has it right. As mentioned numerous times previously, Calypso is now practically worthless for a contract (assuming the speculation is correct, and that she is barren.)

17. syed

syed Supermod

He learns dark arts but rarely use them as he prefers other options. FOr the list he has to learn, the fact they are to compete may give him leeway. ALso albus once fought a dark lord, he is sure to know magical alternatives to these spelss.

Want to bet she informs harry parents and uncles about his activities in durmstrung, including creating a broomcloset that attempted to eat the caretakers. There must be tons of embarresing stories from harry experiments.

SAy james finds the list, he and lily will confront harry about the dark arts. he will say he is the best fighter in his dark arts class, and he barely uses them except to pass the grade. his teacher gave him the list saying if he really wants to compete in the tornement, he needs these spells, so they would either try to convince him not to compete or find alternatives to help him.
    He has been invited to paris, so will want to know his companions. SO he will have to say some stuff on calypso, krum and kira. snape has been curious so has he figured it out. WHen he and his friends come at halloween, calypso will have to be introduced to his brother and others. ron will need to silenced to keep him alive. calypso will look down on nathan for ignoring his own magical gifts, while a haughty pureblood, the fact that hermione impresses harry with her intelligence, only issue could be jealous as she may be competion. it clear she will be his date, and likly spend most of their time together, so will need an explenation.

WHen harry finds about calypso injury, he will be desperate to find a way to heal her, would phoenix tears help her if freely givern. fawkes does like him.

18. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

Syed, is English your first language? Reading your post gave me a headache.

This is something I hadn't considered. I could see Harry feeling partially responsible and wanting to help heal her not to mention the fact that he may want to have kids one day. This is assuming that he ends up with Calypso. It has been heavily implied that there is a good chance, but the future is a mysterious creature filled with French veela.

19. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    See, I personally think that the list of spells that Rosier gave him aren't actually required for the tournament, but are just a way for him to further Harry's expertise with the Dark Arts. Thus driving more of a rift between him and his family.

Just the impression I got.

20. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

I see the professors at Durmstrang being just as competitive as the students especially when it concerns the resident genius. I always just assume Rosier's attempt to push Harry further is more of an attempt to stay competitive. We've already seen that when Harry first got published his transfiguration professor also got published in the magazine along with him. Rosier might not wish for anyone to know he is still alive, but it might raise your standing within the faculty.

Also, wouldn't the list be written in German? It wouldn't do them a whole lot of good even if they did find it not to mention the fact that there are a variety of charms to further disguise the list if Harry were so inclined, and he doesn't seem stupid enough to leave a list of dark magic just laying around.

Not open for further replies.