1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

After his little scene a few chapters ago, I would have liked to see a few more of him. He really has a bit of a role to play here, with Harry being the one who beat his school record after all.

2. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

Well the Malfoys know he's alive at least. That makes it a fairly safe bet Voldemort will know too.

3. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

Possibly. However, since Calypso said that people think the Rosier estate is managed by a representative of the family until she's of age, the Malfoys might only be aware that Calypso is alive, not Romulus.

4. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Romulus pretty much gave up all pretense at being dead when he decided to become a teacher at the premier magical school of Europe. Dumbledore and the Potters might not know, but it's no big secret anymore either.

I'm not sure what Romulus would have to gain by pretending to be dead to the Malfoys while unabashedly teaching the children of many other families, likely including other friends of the Malfoys. That wouldn't make much sense to me.

5. Wizardmon0073

Wizardmon0073 Second Year

Why would Harry push boundaries of Dark Magic if he wanted to heal Calypso ? Wouldn´t he look at whatever is opposite in Santi´s story (as we know that "Light Magic" does not exist in canon). He has seen effect of Phoenix Tears, he knows Madame Pomfrey etc.

This shouldn´t make him Dark Wizard!Harry but Healer!Harry.

Hell, he could ask his mother if those muggles that Calypso thinks are inferior have something to help her (how ironic).

6. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Both dark and "light" magic are capable of healing. Hell, Riddle pretty much came back to life and I'm sure as hell he didn't use any "light" magic to do so.

Right now, Harry isn't discriminating dark magic at all, and that alone could, and probably will, get him into trouble with his family.

7. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

I imagine that Harry would look for as much options as possible to heal Calypso, not just solely focused on Dark magic. He wants to know, to learn, and to be best in what he's doing; that's his character. He probably would look into Phoenix Tears and maybe even ask Madame Pomfrey questions if he though it could help but that doesn't make him Healer!Harry. He would look into taboos and suspect magics if he though it could give him an edge.

8. Wizardmon0073

Wizardmon0073 Second Year

Not so sure about it but hadn´t Calypso said in second year that you need powerful intent to do harm (chapter 8, in the beginning of it, during Traumata) if you want to master dark arts ? This would make, in my opinion, make dark magic unable do heal anything if you would need intent to do opposite (harm) whenever you wanted to cast dark arts.

About Riddle, could we call it healing or resurrection (traditionally "light magic") or more mix of possession of new body + necromancy (creating of new body) that are traditionally (as in fantasy stories) dark arts ? So, he really did not heal himself but rather possessed magical construct and became de facto Dark Creature.

I just thought that Harry is loyal to Calypso and if he finds out about her "illness", it would be prudent to expect really focused Harry. Not that he would suddenly begin apprenticeship under Lady Shluga or all his projects would have suddenly something in common with healing.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  9. Aye Aye

Aye Aye Squib

How would you go about administering phoenix tears to a broken vag?

10. Expelliarmus

Expelliarmus Third Year

As the following passage from chapter eight:

Therefore, the Malfoy family knows that Romulus is still alive and that exists Calypso.

Also, I've had a plot that could likely happen in the future of this story.

What if some Death Eaters, who have joined Voldemort after his resurrection, are more cautious than thirteen years ago and began to transfer their children to Durmstrang, taking as precedent the Harry's transfer? With this I am not referring to Draco Malfoy and other major Slytherins, but characters that have been left behind by JKR, as Theodore Nott and Daphne Greengrass. It could also occur with other students as Zacharias Smith.

11. Nooblet

Nooblet Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Turkey Baster?

Although I do think it's likely the Malfoys know he's alive, that's not definitive proof. They could still believe that his estate thought it best to spend time with family.

Don't think this would really work for a couple of reasons.

One, Harry doesn't have a reason to interact with any transfer from Hogwarts at this point. He'd be much more inclined to ignore them.

Two, I think it's more and more likely that Harry might not be at Durmstrang for his 5th year. With Voldemort's return his parents may be uncomfortable with sending him so far away, despite the anonymity of Durmstrang's location. They may be more comfortable having him near Dumbledore. And with Karkaroff gone, we have no idea who'd replace him as the Headmaster, or who chooses the replacement. Not to mention all the repercussions this next year will bring.

12. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

I agree with this completely. Even would take it a step further and say that Dumbledore has to know. It seems that the majority if not all of eastern Europe's important wizards send their children to the school. If they know, someone would tell Dumbledore. Be it out of legitimate concern or just wanting to help out the Supreme Mugwump.

13. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

No. Said passage proves nothing.

14. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Obviously, Harry will drink the phoenix tears, have it incorporated into his semen, and then cure Calypso by spraying her insides with his jizz.

15. Tenages

It may not definitively prove anything. But the idea that Calypso's close relatives, who she spent the summer with, don't know who she lives with is retarded.

Also what Yak said. Rosier is now teaching at Durmstrang. Kids tell their parents who their teachers are. Parents tell their friends. Word gets around. Rosier being alive is no longer a great secret.

16. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

With a pedo-phoenix ofc.

17. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

That's nice and all but I went on to point out that two of the tasks weren't visible to the crowd just because it seemed extreme to watch the guy die. Albus won't jump in if Albus doesn't know you're being killed.

While it does seem likely that Rosier's name has been around Calypso did say something about the amount of people in Western Europe knowing that he's alive being extremely small somewhat recently iirc. It doesn't seem like he was making any effort to hide his presence even before he started teaching either. So it just may come down to if the Malfoys screw him over.

18. Tenages

She said that before he started teaching at Durmstrang. Also how could you know what efforts he was taking to keep himself hidden before? How he stayed off the radar isn't even alluded to in the story. The fact that even his business partners didn't know he was alive before he started teaching suggests he was being very careful to mak sure he stayed "dead."

19. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

Do you honestly think they left them without protection? Did you miss that whole part at the start of the book where it was mentioned that new procedures were put in place to protect competitors?

By your logic, when Fleur was attacked in the lake and unable to continue, she would have died. Instead, she was brought back to the surface. My guess would be the Merpeople were working with Dumbledore to make sure everyone stayed safe.

The third task had people there ready to retrieve people when sparks were sent up into the air. Had Moody not been an imposter that last task would have been very safe considering he could monitor everyone with his magical eye and go to their aid if they were in trouble or direct others to go to their aid.

I'm not going to bother looking up more quotes to prove it to you. If you are so thick that you honestly believe they had people monitoring the first task in case something went wrong but didn't do it on the other tasks then there is nothing I can do for you. Seriously, just go reread the book.

20. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

They made the TWT safer. Not safe. Yes, they had measures put in place to help out, but dying was still a very real possibility, if the champion wasn't good enough. Also, it would probably be wise to note that canon means fuck-all as far as the Triwizard Tournament is concerned in this fic. Just because Dumbledore held Harry's hand in canon doesn't mean he'll do it here.

As for the guy that said something about dark magic not curing anything, maybe that's true. Let's say, for the sake of the argument, that dark magic can't heal. Regardless, a through understanding of how dark magic works would be required in order to heal any damage caused by dark magic. Like how you need an understanding of how a particular poison works in order to even begin attempting to treat it.

Not open for further replies.