1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. 4arms

4arms Second Year

@Howdy:

IMO, If Harry, Nathan and party are found near the dark mark, Harry is the only person who goes to Drumstrang so Crouch Sr. Might blame him seeing he did that to the canons without any second thought

2. Nooblet

Nooblet Sixth Year DLP Supporter

How is Crouch going to know where Harry goes to school? Is he keeping tabs on teenage boys?

3. Plothole

Plothole Fifth Year

Well, we know that Barty Crouch Jr. has some issues. Who's to say his father doesn't too..... :awesome

4. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Well, it's entirely possible that he saw the article, but I really doubt he would care.

5. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

He could care, being that Harry is the brother of the "Boy Who Lived;" the real question is, do we give two shits about what Crouch thinks? For that matter, do we really care about half the things that are said in this thread? I get that we all love this story, but the last ten pages of this thread are completely useless, lets wait for something new to get posted before we start speculating on issues that are 2 or 3 chapters away.

6. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

That makes no sense. Isn't magic just magic? I could see a spell being referred to as ancient if it is insanely old, but that would be the spell not magic. Calling something old (or ancient magic) would imply there is a young magic. Why not just call it magic?

Sirius, I would be right there with you, but after I read the whole thread, I realized that it isn't the last 10 or 20 pages...It is the whole thread. It's a lost cause to try and fix it. Besides, the reason everyone is posting is because the Santi said the next chapter would be out soon. You have to get your wild theories in while you can.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  7. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

It's what Rowling called it. I figured it's just some kind of magical force of nature, that precedes the creation of spells by humans and isn't controlled or created by magical beings. It's extremely vague though. All we know for sure is that it protects dragons against magic. And I think Dumbledore also mentioned 'ancient magic' when talking about the magical protection created by Lily's sacrifice.

8. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

I'm also quite sure he did at some point. And Red voiced what I've always thought about 'ancient magic', that it precedes magic consciously created by humans, that it is a natural force, and that it is very vague.

Also, why does there being 'ancient' magic mean there has to be 'young' magic as well? Sure, there is magic that is modern in comparison, but it doesn't need to be referred to as 'young' magic.

9. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    All of the new age spells are referred to as Hipster Magic

10. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

Well, what would you like to call it? If there is an ancient magic and it isn't the magic currently being used then you would need to call it something.

I get what you are saying violent, but if it is just uncontrolled magic, why not call it that? And are you implying that spells are a different type of magic, and that there are two different magics?

Either way this isn't remotely relevant to the thread, and it is going a tad bit too far even by this thread's standards. If this discussion keeps on I'm going to be forced to block my own posts so I don't have to read off topic ramblings.

I get that this story is like crack, and we are all a bunch of addicts, but this is getting ridiculous.

11. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

You bring up a very good point.

Romulus becomes Professor Rosier in chapter 8, and Calypso claims that Western Europe and the Rosier's business partners believe Romulus to be dead in chapter 12, a year and a half later.

Professor Rosier's introduction to Durmstrang:

Calypso's reassurance about the range of the rumour that Harry and herself are courting or betrothed:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  12. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

Yes, I think they are different in a way. Where 'normal' magic is performed by the wizard and comes from him, in an very abstract non-'magical core' kind of way, 'ancient' magic simply exist around him, regardless of the existence and going abouts of magical beings. It's not uncontrolled, because I view uncontrolled magic as accidental magic, which thus also originates from the wizard. It also seems to imply that there's a theoretical possibility of controlling the magic, which wouldn't be the case with ancient magic. In a way it exists besides the magical world controlled by magical beings. And while it might react or even interact with this world, like it being imbued in dragon hide or creating a unique form of protection in reaction to a very specific chain of circumstances, it isn't truly part of it. As I said, it's all very vague and highly conjectural, but it does seem to fit into that dark little corner of Rowling's canon world.

I agree though, that this massive thread derail has gone on long enough. So I'll just let it rest here.

13. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Cool story bra.

14. Equinox

Equinox Seventh Year

If it sticks with canon, then it is Nathan's wand being used. I don't think Crouch Sr. is going to think up a plot involving Harry stealing his brothers wand, just to send the Dark Mark up, to satisfy his urges in regards to Dark Wizards. Harry going to Durmstrang would have nothing to do with it either, how, and why, would Crouch Sr. know? Why would he care to know?

I think you missed the point where it was shown that 'ancient' magic was the term used in regards to the Dragons in the GoF. It is not like anyone is talking about Harry learning some super-dooper ancient magic no one has ever heard of to beat down his enemies. So stop arguing about the merits of the damn name.

15. 4arms

4arms Second Year

I belive the dark mark part won't be changed...as Wormtail has escaped his death...well Crouch Sr. will be all over Harry before someone with sense reminds him that Harry is the brother of Nathan...He would know about Harry's school due to the famous article of beating Grindewald

16. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

When the hell did it become a "famous article." It's an article in "Transfiguration Today", which sounds to me like it's similar to a science journal or something of similar nature. Those are generally read mostly by people who specialize in that field. In other words, the people who read the article are most likely those heavily involved in studying the field of Transfiguration. Articles in those types of publications don't generally become "famous."

Moreover most people wouldn't even give a damn. Grindelwald is a long defeated dark wizard who went to a school most British people don't give two shits about and consider inferior to Hogwarts. They don't care who has the school record for top marks.

Also Crouch Sr. is not a fucking idiot. He may have read the article (his reading habits being unknown) but he's the Head of the Department of International Magical Cooperation: he knows damn well that Durmstrang isn't some sort of "dark wizard factory." It would be ludicrously retarded for him to jump all over Harry just because of that, even if he knew where Harry went to school because he saw the article.

tl;dr. You're an idiot. GTFO mah DLP.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  17. Expelliarmus

Expelliarmus Third Year

What you say is very true. In addition, Crouch Sr., as head of International Magical Cooperation Department, is who is leading British Ministry of Magic's negotiations with Beauxbatons and Durmstrang to the conclusion of the Triwizard Tournament at Hogwarts.

It would be a terrible mistake for these efforts Crouch Sr put an insult to the Durmstrang Institute calling it a den of dark wizards.

However, I am sure that Mr Crouch should know that Harry Potter student at Durmstrang, and for the following reason:

It was the letter sent to the Durmstrang Institute to inform Harry that he had a position available for him. As indicated, initial tests were taken in the Ministry of Magic, but does not indicate the department where they were taken.

It is likely that these tests be carried out in the ministerial offices of the Department of International Magical Cooperation. Therefore, from the beginning Mr. Crouch would know that Harry is studying at Durmstrang (Indeed, when Dumbledore tells Harry about the spell translator to learn to speak fluent German, Dumbledore said a perfect example is Mr. Crouch, who is able learn a language under the spell for one or two hours).

18. marleyandmarley

marleyandmarley Squib

@Tenages;
    But it is possible for crouch sr to find out some of the dark spells harry's been practicing from the list ,when he checks the last few spells cast by harry's wand. But then again why would Santi want Crouch accusing harry in the first place seems pointless to me.

19. Schmango

Schmango First Year

I don't think Crouch Sr will automatically blame Harry for being a 'Dark Wizard' because Harry goes to Durmstrang. That would be pretty stupid of Crouch for the reason shown above.

Even if the events follow canon so closely and Harry's wand is checked for some reason, I would think the spells seen would be basic household spells. I'm sure Harry, being the scholar he is, would know the 'deletrius' spell for removing traces of the last magic cast, or be intelligent enough to hide the evidence of his dark maigc practice by casting simple spells that wouldn't arise suspicion and cover up his questionable spell practice.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  20. Wizardmon0073

Wizardmon0073 Second Year

This is valid only if Harry will be with his brother and his friends near place where Crouch Jr. cast the Dark Mark. Santi does not have to follow canon here after all.

Crouch Sr. knows that his son cast Dark Mark and he knows if someone finds him, his freedom is forfeit and his son will be Kissed (probably). He needs to blame someone else or distract his Ministry co-workers enough so that only he will search for perpetrator in order to hide his son.

Putting blame on Muggleborn, Weasley or BWL makes him look like madman so he could just simply point out that Harry studies at Durmstrang. Crouch does not even have to accuse Harry of anything. There is surely at least one idiot among Ministry workers who will run wild with it and spark confrontation that will act as smokescreen for Crouch Sr.

Not open for further replies.