1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Guild Wars 2

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Fenraellis, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/

So, I was randomly thinking about Guild Wars 2 while on DLP yesterday, and despite there actually being two separate Guild Wars threads for the original game(from a while ago), I was somewhat surprised that there were no threads for this.

I'm just curious about anyone else that is also interested in playing the game when it releases. I'm sure there are a smattering of you out there.

I would provide more links than the main site, but the site does have most everything on there that could be desired. I'll give these other two though:
    The Official Guild Wars 2 Wiki
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page

The Official Youtube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/arenanetofficial

---

Some nice video links:
    (A couple of well-received fanmade contest videos. Some tidbits may be out of date.)

"Guild Wars 2 - Top 10 Reasons to be Interested"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBC_ig73aMs&

"Guild Wars 2: 60 Reasons"(in 60 seconds)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzEqJAg8460&

Some nice concept art, of the Elder Dragons, of the world:
    (The implied scale of Kraltorrik and what is likely Jormag is simply astounding.)
    Especially when you consider that in the prequel book, "Edge of Destiny", the group Destiny's Edge were supposedly likely going to defeat Kraltorrik, but Keiran Thackery's oath to his Queen had him returning to help defend her when she needed him, shortly before the rest of the group encountered the Elder Dragon. One of their number fell, and they were, ultimately, unsuccessful. Resentments abound...

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/a/a3/Dragon_02_concept_art_%28Zhaitan%29.jpg
    Zhaitan
    is apparently slated as the 'final' boss of the initial release.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/f/fe/Kralkatorrik.jpg
    Kralkatorrik is currently blocking passage to Elona, the lands of the Nightfall campaign.

Primordius's awakening is the main cause of the Asura's losing their underground home.

http://www.tinfoilgames.com/images/gallery/StormyHorizon_full.jpg
    Based upon the images available, this one is probably Jormag, who drove the Norn from their homeland, and is the reason why the Kodan live out on their Iceberg Castle Ships.

The unnamed "Deep Sea Dragon", who 'may' have incited the Krait to their current degree of savageness has no currently released art.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/f/f4/Dragon_03_concept_art_(The_Shatterer).jpg
    Not an Elder Dragon, but the Shatterer, as shown in the Manifesto,
    is merely the lieutenant of the Elder Dragon Zhaitan.

p.s. I can take it to one of the old threads, but I'll just ask. Anyone else here still messing around on the original Guild Wars?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  2. Jheph

Jheph Groundskeeper

Finally! Someone created a Guild Wars 2 topic. Thumbs up for you.

I'm also very interested with this game and I've been monitoring it for updates in a while now. It was quite funny that I used to disregard the news about this game, because of the things I heard about it's prequel (I never played the first game).

Star Wars: The Old Republic was the only MMO game that I religiously followed until I got curious enough to check out the trailers and videos of Guild Wars 2. After that, I was hooked. The more updates I read/watch, the more I'm impressed with GW2 while I get disappointed with SWTOR.

Overall, I can't wait for the game to be available.

3. Rym

Rym Auror

The first game was great. This will be no different.

4. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

Honestly, all I've seen about it looks fantastic. If nothing else, it will be jaw-droppingly awesome because no subscription.

But I'm working solid through November, and the ole 'headstart in the game' mentality I usually take in MMO's in order to actually be able to play them at all won't be able to apply. I'll be creating a character a whole 168 in-game days after everyone else, thus putting myself at a dramatic disadvantage, which is no way to approach anything. It's making me seriously consider not playing the game, at all.

But occasionally I get fits of 'stop being such a fucking faggot nerd, Lizard' and decide to suck it up.

Meh. We'll see. I'm not sure even I'm capable of taking names from day one with a six-week disadvantage... though I'd give it a good crack. At the very least I can piss a significant portion of the player population off in the attempt.

Edit

Hopefully the staff won't mind the embed, but the manifesto alone made me want to play this game;

[yt]FU1JUwPqzQY[/yt]​

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  5. Rym

Rym Auror

That's what sold me on the first game (besides the fact that the game, itself, was damn good). I started playing over the summer, went to college and didn't play it for six months, then came back home, logged into my account and bam - no problems at all. No P2P is fantastic, and your account never gets deleted.

6. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

My fanaticism for this game is unmatched. Except perhaps by my love for the original game.

At any rate, here's some of my favorite quotes from the developers. At least relating to how they're making it different from other MMOs.

Just for people who haven't read up on Guild Wars much. (Oh god, how you've missed out)

7. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

21 points in the Hall of Monuments, working towards the Balthazar Vambraces! My friend's got 35 points already and he makes so jealous.

I am beyond thrilled for this game.

8. JenosIdanian

JenosIdanian Professor DLP Supporter

Oh Engineer for the fucking win!

Turrets and dual-wielding pistols that can shoot poison or flames!?

YES PLEASE!

9. Plothole

Plothole Fifth Year

For a second I thought you had the wrong thread. Then I followed the link and realized that this game is just that awesome.

Edit: The link to the Guild Wars 2 main site is broken.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  10. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

I was a massive fan of the original, finished the last two, but only got halfway into the first campaign. A surprisingly stylish game world and mechanics that limited gameplay without taking away from it.

If arenanet can replicate the feeling of exploration without excessive grinding, and the unique tones for each area, 2 will be as much fun as the original. Its definitely on my watch list.

11. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

Really liked the first game, it was just so much more stylish and realistic win compared to WoW. The best part is , I didn't need some uber-machine to enjoy the graphics. I had my eye on this last year, but it fell under the radar.

The game has come a long fucking way since when I last peeked at it. Wow.

No subscription, never really wasn't too bothered by that really. If I sink 40hrs of gameplay into a game or more per month, makes up for the cost in my book. Shrug. What I want from this is what I want from the SWMMO. A solid, individualized journey that lets me be the hero, but also with the ability to have others join me and make it a party.

The awesome imagination put into it and amazing art-style are just bonuses for me.

Will keep on eye on this more closely now. Thanks Fenraellis.

12. Grinning Lizard

Hmm. Oddly, having never played GW, the whole Hall of Monuments inherited bonuses thing makes me squirm a bit. It's one of the only actual things about the game that I find myself frowning at (having now gotten over the whole GUNS!? thing). My verbal above wasn't for show. Is there anything beyond what I can see about the process/items? I hate me a disadvantage, and just dumping a shitload of goodies on 1/3rd of the player population on login would make me rage.

Specifically because I wouldn't be one of that third.

13. Iztiak

The basic thing about all GW1 weapons and armor, is that the only differences between them are cosmetic.

After you hit the max level(Easiest thing in the game to do, 4-10 hours), the cheap as hell armor you get was exactly the same armor bonuses as the ones you could buy after you finished the entire campaign

And with the customization options, You could build a set of armor/weapons with nearly any set of stats for cheap, but it'd look fucking ugly as shit.

The expensive stuff was the shiny looking stuff. The game balanced itself around player skill, rather than STACK THE GOLD GEARSSSS GUYZ, making grinding for armor rather redundant, unless you seriously wanted to look cool.(Which I did lol)

If GW2 follows the same mindset, the bonuses given to GW1 players will be almost entirely cosmetic. They'll just stand out.

14. Grinning Lizard

This I did not know. Not entirely sure how I feel about it, either. I'm all for the next-gen of MMO, and for tactical-play over grinding, but actually playing it's going to be a bit of a culture shock.

Out of interest, what classes are people going to be playing? /Anticipates Engineer landslide. I'm thinking elementalist, myself, purely because it doesn't look like it's going to be the most popular, despite a fair bit you can do with it.

15. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

I think I'm gonna roll a Necromancer if the 8th profession doesn't end up being Mesmer.

16. Iztiak

Fucking one of everything. I'm going to disappear into this game for months.

17. Rym

Rym Auror

They've seriously revamped the elementalist gameplay. You'll now be able to switch attunements (air, earth, fire, water) mid-game, and when you do, the first 5 skills on your skillbar change to reflect that attunement. So in essence, instead of only being able to carry 8 skills into a battle, you'll have 23 to choose from depending on the situation.

It's going to be awesome.

Personally, if I play, I'll probably go for the Thief - just because the combat engine allows you to do a lot of really cool stuff (as opposed to the typical stand in one spot and hack away MMO style gameplay)

18. Iztiak

Hell, they don't even restrict casters to standing still, they got the full animations while moving for most skills.

I am very excited for this. I was unable to get into just about any other MMO after I played GW. I just had so much fun playing it, that grinding in WoW or Aion didn't really convince me to continue playing them.

Skill based MMO pvp was just so incredibly different from "stacking gear to win" pvp, too... Sure, beating a horde of people without effort because you grinded out the best stuff in the game might be fun... But I enjoyed defeating a horde because I played better than they did...

Aannnd.. I'm going to try and stop posting in this thread before my rabid enthusiasm makes me look like an idiot.

I really hope the second ends up as good as the first was.

19. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Clarifying point for any potential fans out there (also to Lizard about the Monument items):

Any items in Guild Wars 2 can have any stats you want them to.

The implementation of the Transmutation Stone lets you combine the looks of one item with the stats of another. The only downside is that you will lose the item you're getting the stats from. So if you ever find a really cool armor skin but its stats are beyond shit, buy yourself a cheap, max-stat armor set and combine it into the better looking one.

Lizard, because of this, there are no advantages/disadvantages to HoM items, it's purely cosmetic (read: Bragging Rights).

20. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

First, I'm glad to see the rapid positive response to a game that I am highly anticipating myself.

Anyway, I thought to expand on what Sin Saiori said, although I may be misremembering. I do believe that, with the exception of the few pets available from the Hall of Monuments bonuses, that all of those items are actually just item skins. The trick being that, unlike with normal items that would require Transmutation Stones, you can change relevant-type items to look like the bonus items, for free and also as many times as you want.

Again, I may be misremembering, but I'm relatively sure that I did read something to that effect at one point.

Well, personally I am either going to start as a Ranger(with an actual fully functioning pet this time around), or a Mesmer.
    Pshhh... Not to get on your case specifically, but they have said several things which all give a very *wink wink nudge nudge* towards the last class being a Mesmer:
    -Last class is a returning class
    -Last class is a Scholar(Light Armor) class
    -Last class deals with [mind altering magic] (the exact phrasing eludes me at this moment)
    -Last class is the most complex class (as has also been their pattern for releasing classes in general)
    ...Then with things like the Dervish and Paragon not returning, at least in part due to Elona being cut off and under Palawa Joko's(sp?) reign, and considering the 'remaining classes left'. As well as the Queen of the Humans herself being referred to as a Mesmer in the book.

I do wonder what weapons they will use though. Whether or not they actually physically attack with it, it could be nice if they can use swords like the Class Art Mesmer is shown wielding.
    I believe that one of the main adaptations that they are having to deal with, is that hexes are no longer a component of the game, or at least not as they were in the original. Mesmers and hexes have a very close relationship, after all.

Of course, there is technically a chance they decide to change their minds, but the chance is very slim.

Anyway, for ease of access, I'll add some links to videos on the first post, rather than this one.