1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

2. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

3. blackchaos

blackchaos Squib

^What he said.

4. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

I haven't put him on the ignore list because he makes me laugh at his pure absurdity. Plus I think he's a troll. I know if I was trolling this would be one of the first threads I'd go to because of the large amount of traffic and newbies who don't really go anywhere else on the forum.

Do you think that Calypso will eventually betray Harry or not? I don't think she will but a lot can change in seven years.

5. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Thats possibly the most absurd idea I heard in a long time. Why would Grindelwald have left such a thing in a will? Its nonsensical. I doubt that, if he left books or research in his private room, they would not have been found by the time Harry was at Durmstrang.

Since when has Hogwarts ever had a Dark Arts class? And yes, it is just you that thinks he would be the best teacher. He's a child. He can't teach a class. He's a very academically advanced child, but there are undoubtedly many adults in the entirety of England, or even in the whole of the UK, who have much more experience with the Dark Arts than Harry will...for a good number of years.

Presumably one would raise it before the battle, and give it a preset list of commands or targets.

How are the two parts of that sentence tied together?

That makes no sense. A semi-sentient fire spell and a powerful water summon spell...combining together...to make an elemental? Thats ridiculous. Its established that an elemental is raised in a ritual involving the Dark Arts, Charms and Transfiguration (if I recall correctly). How would the fire and water curses relate to that.

And this matters in any way how? Why would Harry give Hogwarts such a thing? Sure, I can see it being a reasonable charms project for him to construct an accurate indoor planetarium, but nothing more than that.

Always possible, certainly knowing the creation theory would give him an understanding of their weaknesses. But I doubt he would be able to just step in and take control of them from their creators. If that were possible then the Aurors would all know how to create Inferi so that if someone summoned them, they could just take control.

Again, why? This at least is a vaguely reasonable idea, but I can't see what could be gained from it. There is a big, empty cave down there. So much to be learned from those wet stone walls!

...Summon water to pull himself to the bottom of the loch? I suppose it depends on how the spell works. If its a water version of Fiendfire, then I suppose that could work...in a way. But its an incredibly round about way of going about it. Why would he not just use some form of transfiguration, or a simple charm combination...

I reckon there will be some point in the course of the story where the she does do something that makes Harry break away from her for a while. But I also reckon that not long after that she will do something that brings them back together.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  6. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

Not unless something drastic happens. She's done a lot to help Harry, and defied her father a few times in the process. She seems genuinely concerned about him when he is closing himself off and trying to torture that toad. Now, she has outright refused to continue supplying her father with information on him, and she kept her father from entering her mind to protect certain memories about Harry from her father. I'm sure the most recent book that she sent to Harry would also fall under the category of something that could be confiscated by the ministry.

That was one of the things that bothered me about the last chapter. All Harry did was cast a few locking charms on his door. You'd think someone as skilled as him at creating rooms and expanded spaces would have already set up secret space to hide his dark arts books in addition to the locking charms.

At any rate, right now I'm wondering about what exactly an earth elemental is. Specifically, I'm wondering why it would be frowned upon. It combines Dark Arts, Transfiguration, and Charms. To make one, it is a series of spells, and it apparently has something to do with ritual magic which is frowned upon. Harry makes a statement about not taking the magic that far which I find to be curious. It could be that the potential for taking the magic "that far" is why it is frowned upon.

I wonder if inferius creation is what they mean by taking it that far. Either that or inferius creation is similar to elemental creation, and it would give him the theory needed to better understand his project. Then again in my mind an earth elemental is a house elf (or something similar to them). It is actually why I think that they serve wizards. Of course, I'm probably bias because when I think of elementals, I think of the use as a classification for certain mythological creatures such as a sylph (air).

7. Mordecai

High Score:
    Maybe the reason its frowned on so heavily to make an elemental is that blood is involved? Its one of the more common golem myths is mixing blood and clay to bring the clay to life. Quite a common theme in much HP fanfic is that blood magic is frowned on or outright illegal. That could be the aspect of making an elemental that involves the Dark Arts.

And I disagree that a House Elf or something similar is an elemental. The common idea of an elemental creature is a being made out of the element, either totally subservient to the will of its creator or very wild and hard to control.

8. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

I was going with classic elementals: gnomes, sylphs, nymphs, and salamanders. The ones that came along well before modern fantasy games and books. That's why I said that I was probably bias.

Neville Longbottom would really like DLP to invest in a dislike button about right now.

I would have made a Heroic Gardening demotivator featuring Neville wielding the sword of Gryffindor, but this isn't the HP memes thread.

9. Mordecai

High Score:
    Since when are gnomes, sylphs, nymphs and salamanders are the 'classic' elementals? I've heard of them being called elementals before, but never more so than any other sort of elemental myth.

Herbology would be a difficult one for Harry to get the top grade in, because there will be someone just like Neville, who spends his entire time in the greenhouses crossbreeding an entire new species from a dozen different sources. For Harry to beat them out for the top spot he would have to do something similar or equally impressive. It would be too much of a time commitment.

10. yak

Just sayin'.

11. Mordecai

High Score:
    A fair enough, I hadn't seen that bit.

12. 4arms

4arms Second Year

On his birthday, Sirius enters when Harry was holding the present( Calypso's book). I would have been so foolish of him to keep the book in the safe area while Sirius was present, so instead of doing that he used his magical knowledge to lock the door and then prayed to god.

There is a possibility that Kira won't be there for the world cup...they might break up in order to give space for the Krum-Granger love-flick

13. Mordecai

High Score:
    I can't really see Hermione/Krum happening. Maybe a slight flirtation thing to add some extra conflict between Harry and Hermione, bringing in some conflict between Hermione and Kira, but thats about all it would accomplish.

As for the locking charms...as I recall he didn't really have much time to hide the book. And why would he have the place set up with a secret hiding place. Its his home, where he grew up. Maybe he would have something like that in Durmstrang but not in the house he grew up in.

14. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So I re-read the story recently on FF.Net. How come FF.Net is so massively behind DLP WBA? The last chapter on there is the Interlude following Harry's Transfiguration discovery.

15. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Because Santi signed an exclusive contract with DLP and now posts only here. ;)

16. Paradosi

Paradosi Fourth Year

If Santi is following canon religiously then probably.

I dare-say I'd prefer Kira to Hermione. That's not saying much though.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  17. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's the thing though. Nathan's Hogwarts experience has been a canon rewrite.. up until this point. Harry and his return to Hogwarts plus Dumbledore possessing the Marauder's Map make this the 'official' divergence point.

18. FreakLord

FreakLord Professor DLP Supporter

Am I allowed to write fanfiction for this fanfiction? ;)

19. Ksai

Ksai Third Year

I am sorry if this was mentioned, but I think you have a mistake with a broom:

"Nathan is, obviously, not taking the news that he has killed someone very well. Your mother and I are trying to encourage him to focus on other things, but it is difficult. Your uncle Sirius and I bought Nathan a firebolt racing broom as an early birthday present. This seems to have helped a bit. Nathan has a big Quidditch match coming up against Slytherin and the firebolt has helped to keep his focus on the match and not on what happened with Peter."
    Firebolt has been bought.
    Or not?
    "“A new broom,” Nathan said, giving his parents a hopeful look. “A Firebolt hopefully.” "
    “Yes!” Nathan said happily, quickly pulling his parents into a hug. “I can't believe you got me a Firebolt!”

Or am I missing smth here?

20. yak

Nope. The first scene where Nathan thought he'd killed Pettigrew has been recanted. The Santi has a newer version of the chapter, but it hasn't been released yet.

If Nathan isn't presumed to have killed Pettigrew, then there's no reason that he'd have received a new Firebolt broom.

edit:

Not open for further replies.