1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No, they can't.

2. elflorddobby

elflorddobby Second Year

I know, but I'm allowed to be desperate, aren't I?

3. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Calypso is a year ahead of Harry in Dark Arts classes. It's likely that Calypso, being a graduating 5th year Dark Arts student, received a very different list of spells from Romulus than Harry did.

There's been no comparison between the lists except for the earth elemental spell and perhaps fiendfyre. Just because Romulus is pushing Harry towards a different magic than the one he's training Calypso in doesn't necessarily mean that earth elementals are too advanced for her.

4. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Few more thoughts about a new chapter, since I read and wrote about it just before going to sleep last night.

I'm not sure that Harry will listen to Sirius about not doing transformation on his own. Maybe at first, but later he will probably want to finish this task and move on. On the other hand the Tournament may not leave him with enough time to even think about it, so we will see.

An earth elemental is definitely an interesting bit of magic. I wonder where exactly Harry will draw the line in his dark magic research. Also, seems like Nathan started to have visions of Voldemort.

Harry scaring Draco was fun and it'd be interesting to know what Hermione thought of what she saw.

Lastly - a pure speculation about future development of Harry. We know that he will more or less be dark and all that, but will he be more like Tom Riddle in other things? Right now he is a loner like Riddle was, but it changed later and Tom started creating his web of allies (or servants). I don't think I've ever seen a fic with believable grown of Harry as a leader figure of his own group of wizards (not just getting the mantle from Dumbledore).

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think Harry is meant to be modelled more after Grindelwald than Voldemort. Which is one of the most exciting things about this fic.

Grindelwald appears to be everything Voldemort was meant to be but never was. Voldemort was essentially a genocidal maniac by the end, little more than a magical brute. Grindelwald was a principled and rational revolutionary who happened to be a ruthless and talented Dark wizard.

6. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

A good point. Still, the question remains - will we see him as a leader or will he stay a lone wolf type?

7. Rocag

Rocag Third Year

I probably should have realized it as soon as I read that Harry was using a rabbit for the Earth elemental ritual but the significance of his second year Transfiguration project is now becoming clear. Assuming the ritual creates a version of what is put into it then Harry has plenty of options. He could redo the spider/snake/rabbit or he could create his own lifeform consisting of whatever parts he wants. Kind of like a chimera. The possibilities are literally endless.

And like others have said, Harry didn't properly execute the ritual. It is probably safe to assume that the product of a successful ritual will be a lot harder to defeat.

8. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

I don't think that the dark arts part of the spell is why it's too advanced for her. I think it was mentioned that advanced charms and/or transfiguration were part of the spell as well and that's probably where she's lacking.
    Good idea. While I did remember the other unfortunate rabbit I didn't consider that he could use that here. I was just wondering if he could get and subdue one of those large spiders for the ritual. However seeing as he can create life with his broken enchantment and transfigure like a beast then can make plenty of animals.

9. elflorddobby

elflorddobby Second Year

I too believe this is what Grindelwald was, I also believe on some level j.k.rowling also believed this, seeing as she hardly ever painted Grindlewald in a bad light

10. Tomatta

Tomatta Seventh Year

I don't like the part where Sirius gives Harry firewhiskey again. I didn't particularly like the first time but I could see something like that happening, whereas the second time just seems like a cheap way to make Harry seem cooler/older.

11. Darth Mage

Darth Mage Second Year

This may seem like a dumbshit question, but I'm just floating an idea. If there's a ritual for earth elementals, there might rituals for other elements. I'd love to see Harry create a fire elemental, though the process of creating one might be... difficult.

12. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It didn't feel like that at all to me. It seems to be a pretty unremarkable thing for uncles and fathers-in-law to do.

It doesn't make Harry appear cooler or older; it does the opposite. It reinforces Harry's status as a juvenile. The kid is on the cusp of introducing his girlfriend to his parents - a nerve wracking situation for anyone going through it for the first time even without the Potter/Rosier baggage. I wouldn't begrudge a nephew a drink in that situation, and obviously Sirius doesn't either.

Do you come from a religion/nation/society/family that has stronger views against alcohol than typical British men?

13. ashura

ashura Third Year DLP Supporter

Another fun chapter.

One small thing that bugged me was something about the dialogue between Sirius and Harry. Sirius repeatedly says Harry's name over and over which isn't something you tend to do in a real life one-on-one conversation. It was pretty distracting.

14. elflorddobby

elflorddobby Second Year

I know I definitely don't, I'm Irish lol.

15. Elelith

Elelith Squib

Although many things brought up queries in the latest chapter, which I may post on once I ruminate over it a few days; my main concern is if Santi has had a traumatising event associated to fluffy rabbits in his younger days. I know I will never look at the furry creatures the same way after the rabbit/spider hybrid and the zombie!bunny.

Also, great job on the latest chapter Santi, I've just realised how addicted I am to this story. That's after waking up at 4 am this morn to get a drink, randomly checking my email on the way, freezing when I saw the update and then staying up an hour reading & rereading the latest chapter. :D

Finally, this may be an obvious question, but why are Calypso and Harry duelling in the chapter I'm salivating to read?:confused:

16. Expelliarmus

Expelliarmus Third Year

I just finished reading the last chapter, and I found it very good, funny and brilliant.

The godfather-godson relationship between Harry and Sirius seems perfect, but I think James might feel jealous when he discovers that Sirius is Harry's tutor for the Animagus transformation. James could feel that learning should have given him and not his best friend, becoming Sirius in the adult in which Harry has more confidence. This situation could lead to an increased presence of James in the fic's future, where we could see him trying to approach his son.

As regards the detail of that both Harry and Calipso tell his family that Calypso is Evan's daughter, Santi has just stuck the target. I also loved the way Harry was hesitant to speak before the game, until finally the situation caused that Calypso is presented herself as a Rosier.

I liked both the Bulgarian minister scene (it has been much better than I thought before reading the chapter) as the "warning" that Harry does to Draco. I can not wait to see what Harry will do him if Draco taunts his girlfriend or his brother, as well as will the relationship between Harry and Hermione after she has witnessed his "warning".

As the final first meeting between Calypso and the Potters, it seemed just perfect. Clearly she has adequately planned for a long time (I'm sure she provoked Kira to that she seemed a perfect damsel in distress in the eyes of the Potters, besides she could worsen Kira's image in front of their "in-laws"), and for that she had to be a bit manipulative if he wanted to be liked from early (commenting on her incident with Draco, wait for a response from Sirius, James, Lily or Harry to the fact that she can be very different from what her family has been taking as an example to Sirius and his family, some stories that embarrass Harry, etcetera).

As regards the detail of why Lily hates Evan Rosier, you've been great, Santi. So she blames Evan for his influence over Severus, which ultimately led to the breakup of the friendship between her and Snape (She may occasionally think as had been her life if it were paired with Snape and not with James)

Indeed, I think it seems likely that the duel between Harry and Calypso is when they look first time in her fourth year at Durmstrang and is because she wants revenge that he had laughed at her situation after the final, as when she attack him as soon as he reached his bedroom in his second year there.

Also, I wonder if Nathan has informed someone about their nightmare, and who teachers will accompany Karkaroff the trip to Hogwarts? (I doubt very much that Karkaroff give them classes on the ship he being the only teacher. Perhaps, teachers use the network or flu Portkey to give classes to all students selected by school). Can we see Romulus Rosier at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry?

As for the ritual of elemental earth, I found very interesting and creepy. It reminded me a lot to a young called Tom Marvolo Riddle. However, I think that Santi is shaping Harry as a complet mixture of Grindelwald (70%) and Voldemort (30%).

Meanwhile, I was struck by the absence of Winky in the presidential box, so it is quite possible that Barty Crouch Jr. get another wand instead of Harry's wand or Nathan's wand.

Last, it saddens me to read that Santi probably not update until December, and I can only say I hope you do very well in law school and surprise us in December with a massive update, Santi.

17. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

Good chapter.

The Sirius and Harry scenes were well done. I'd love an appearance by Tonks at some point, and hopefully she plays a prominent role later.

I wonder how Hermione will react to seeing Harry intimidate Malfoy. Sure, she's no fan of Draco, but she'll be curious as to why Harry scares Draco so effectively. This seems like it could be a major development down the road. Although in the past Hermione has apparently let some of Harry's actions slide, such as when he talked her into helping him convince Nathan to learn some spells and ended up cursing Ron and fighting with Nathan.

Someone implied that they were sick of people showing surprise at Harry's talent, such as when Bill commented on Harry enchanting a broom. I actually like these periodic reminders that Harry is exceptionally skilled. It's realistic and probably gives a minor boost to Harry's ego, which just increases his developing superiority complex.

I suspect the Santi is having a bit of fun with everyone, and Harry doesn't duel Calypso in the next scene. Unless Calypso is among those wearing death eater masks and terrorizing muggles, but I seriously doubt she will be. It'd be too great a risk after manipulating Harry's family into liking her.

Of course, there's still plenty of potential drama over the Rosiers. Once the Potters discover who Calypso's real father is, I'm sure they'll realize she manipulated them. Plus the senior Rosier being Harry's Dark Arts instructor is bound to cause issues.

Hopefully the Santi finds the time to put out a few scenes by Halloween, as he hinted in his authors notes. Of course law school should take priority, so I'm perfectly content waiting until December.

18. elflorddobby

elflorddobby Second Year

People seem to want to make all off these complex theories about why Harry and Calypso duel, she is secretley a death eater, that took part in the world cup debacle, or that she was angry at harry for laughing at her so she decides to duel him, but what some people seem to forget is the TWT is coming has anyone give any thought that, they may just actually be training to become better duelists, and spellcasters for the potential tasks ahead of them, assuming there selected of course. Even if they aren't selected I can still see them wanting to become better duelers and spellcasters.

19. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, actually, that was my first thought.

20. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

Um, I just assumed Winky was jumping in the way to stop the curse from hitting Barty Crouch Jr. Calypso didn't mention anyone being there because Crouch Jr. was invisible, and the elf was watching over him. This combined with the fact that Crouch Sr wasn't in the box, and neither was his elf to 'reserve him a seat' made me think it was fairly obvious that the elf in question was Winky.

Calypso didn't say the elf's name or even refer to it as her elf. The way she phrased it made it seem like she had never seen the elf before. So, I doubt she was the elf's master.

Not open for further replies.