1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

It could be any house elf and any master, but given that said master was invisible (Calypso didn't see anyone) it was fairly obvious to me.

As for your second point, do you really think that Auror wouldn't secure their wands? Or better yet, toss them out of the stadium buy leave their wands lying around?

I'm pretty sure Crouch Junior's reason for casting the dark mark in canon is that he wanted to scare fake Death Eaters. If he left before he could see them...

2. Stunna21

Stunna21 Muggle

Other than the last paragraph you posted I agree with you 100% the burke thing would be interesting and that bunny was creepy as fuck. I think that Nathan had seen what Harry was doing with the elemental when the light was on but it might be voldie dreams or a combo of both, and the update days are a long time away but lets hope its sooner. I wish I had a DeLorean so I could do what Marty tried to do in Back to the Future 2 man if I could do that it would be a wonderful thing, and maybe send back some other stuff with it.

3. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

It seems like Harry did the ritual in a forest clearing behind a noticemenot. It's highly unlikely one would see him from the house.

4. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

5. Elelith

Elelith Squib

Still a bit too old for Calypso but better than Maguire. I also agree with Pirazy about Reginald, it would be cool to have him at Hogwarts... But surely Nathan or someone would have mentioned something to Harry by now if it had happened, due to the rarity of transfers and the fact the guy comes from Durmstrang. Also, is Harry's incident in first year with the bone breaking curse (or whatever it was that landed him in the infirmary) ever going to come out in front of his parents... and did they ever find out who did it?

6. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yep. The Calypso we know has been 11, 12, and 13 years old. All of these pictures of hot models in their 20s as comparisons is a bit creepy tbh.

I've always imagined Calypso as akin to Wednesday Addams, except without Christina Ricci's huge forehead and severe braids. Perhaps that's just because all little goth girls with a vicious streak and a penchant for the dark arts seem to look like Wednesday to me.

If you want a word picture of what Calypso looks like, then here are some snippets of text which describe her appearance. They're in order from her earliest appearance as an 11 year old to present. I've almost certainly missed quite a few.

7. syed

syed Supermod

I just watch Harry Potter number 4, and I thought about what harry would do during the year. He would believe that some one entered nathan to hurt him, so focus on getting him through while surviving and safe, as well as winning.

IN the last task, i think he might grab the goblet with nathan for a potter victory. If he is serious about keeping nathan safe, then he would find a way to track Nathan, so when taken could follow after him. WHile nathan is entertaining Voldemorte, HArry could be showing off his skills dealing with death eaters that are stuck out side the phoenix dome.

8. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

Disagree. Harry is all about proving himself superior, and that would come out at such a point. Also, they may not even end up in such a situation, as Santi may alter the tournament. And this all assumes that Harry wouldn't take the cup before anybody else made it to the centre of the maze.

9. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

It also assumes that Harry would somehow know that the cup was a portkey, and that it would take Nathan to Voldemort and the Death Eaters, and that Harry would be able to hold his own against several Death Eaters. Syed said it. It wasn't well thought out.

Anyway, at what point does dark magic become illegal? We know that the unforgivables are illegal, but what about fiendfyre? And that water spell, which is implied to be near the level of fiendfyre and to possess it's own will, is that illegal? What would be the repercussions of casting such spells during the TWT? And how much dark magic can Harry throw around before his parents get worried?

10. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Unforgivables are only illegal when used on humans. You can use them on animals, house elves, goblins, centaurs, (and possibly muggles) as much as you want, but if anyone found out about it, it would be severely frowned upon. Same with other dark magic. While not strictly forbidden in the TWT, you would probably get docked a ton of points. It is not written that other lesser dark magic gets a lesser amount of jail time, but it would not be unfounded.

But the law system is somewhat lenient. Fake Moody was allowed to cast Imperio on dozens of students, and the caster could always used the Imperious curse defense (Krum used Crucio during the final task, yet he was not penalized), not to mention Harry's use a few times. I suppose as long as you don't get caught... But the social ramifications always exist.

Also, I am unsure if this is canon or fanon at this point, but Aurors were permitted to use Unforgivables during the first war after realizing they were getting destroyed.

This is all for the British Law system though. Other countries may, and probably do have different laws, and whether or not Harry's British citizenship overrides his school is something that will have to be thought about.

And Harry's parents are already worried about him without him casting any dark magic.

11. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

I'd assumed that some magic would be illegal to cast, like whatever you have to do to make inferi, or fiendfyre, which is shown to be extremy dangerous and difficult to control, although that was never stated in canon.

That's true, but canon has some weird rules in general. It's debatable if they actually do anything.

Pretty sure that that's canon, but I don't have a source.

He probably has to play by the rules while he's in Britain, especially since he lives there.

True, but they think he barely casts any dark magic. If they see him in the tournament slinging dark spells left and right...

12. Palurien

Palurien Third Year DLP Supporter

I think Sirius said that aurors were given permission to kill instead of capture. Cant remember if anyone mentioned that they could use unforgivables.

13. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

From GoF, 'Padfoot Returns'.

14. Boo

Boo Auror

I get the fight fire with fire bit, but wouldnt the Aurors need to mean it. Deatheaters are very skilled at these curses and Aurors are not. Who was it that taught them to use the curses right.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  15. Palurien

Palurien Third Year DLP Supporter

That's what I get for not reading the books in a few years ;)

16. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

Harry got the imperius curse correct the first time he cast it, and he successfully cast the cruciatus curse on his second attempt at the spell. Nobody taught Harry the proper wand movement and intent for those two spells. Unless, you count a one off comment from Bellatrix instruction, and I don't considering that it seems to take much longer to learn a spell at Hogwarts. It would seem those curses are not all that difficult to cast. Even if they were difficult, I think that people who spent three years training after their NEWTs could figure out how to cast those spells.

17. cenares

cenares Fourth Year

I'm kind of curious about Calypso's and Hermione's reactions to each other. I distinctly remember Hermione sending Harry a letter trying to become more of a friend to him and Calypso discreetly burning that same letter. When you consider that Calypso is from death eater stock and Hermione is a muggleborn the normal jealousy and mistrust between a guys girlfriend and his girl friend is just amplified. I'm kind of hoping Hermione will develop a small crush on Harry just to add a slight Harry-Hermione-Nathan love triangle tension to the mix. A jealous Calypso is just something I've been wanting to see and maybe this will put a hitch in the triumphant plan of hers to get Harry's parents to like her. Perhaps a pissed off Calypso getting a little to loose with her words when dealing with Hermione and than realizing that Lilly just walked in the room or something. After all it wouldn't be any fun if Calypso plans went perfectly as planned.

I suppose it would be a little too outrageous if the duel between Harry and Calypso was actually Calypso just casting a curse at Hermione and Harry blocking/deflecting. Calypso is probably to disciplined for that; than again teenage girls aren't really known for self control when it comes to relationships.

18. Reece

Reece Second Year

Hehehe

I think that the problem with the earth elemental is that it takes the appearance and mind from the creature like muscle memories. Nothing like actual memories, but it requires a creature that is used to taking orders, like say a dog or perhaps a human.

19. Docker

Docker Third Year

I don’t think there is anything wrong with the drinking thing between Harry and Sirius. I lived in the U.K for a couple of years and I remember my brother being allowed to have a drink at home from the age of ten or so… I may not be remembering correctly but I think there is a law or something saying children five and over can drink in their homes under supervision if their parents or guardians let them. Or am I getting it mixed up? I know it used to be legal to give kids over five alcohol in Britain if they were in private, did they change that or something?

Harry’s relationship with his godfather is quite interesting. Sirius was described to have an unusual amount of compassion in his voice when he was telling Nathan not to judge Calypso because of her family. Her background reminds him of his own, so he has been shown to be willing to stick up for her, plus his close relationship with Harry. (Helping Harry do things we knows his parents won’t approve of, the transformation for one and drinking for another.)

There could be many different things that could cause a strain between Harry and his family, obvious ones like the Dark Arts but maybe instead of Harry directly causing the problems…. what if the tension is because of Sirius’s sometimes risky actions, which could lead to a stain between Harry and his family?

I’m also interested in Snape’s reaction to Calypso… seeing he might be able to put the pieces together because of Harry’s spell knowledge… and work out a little something about Calypso’s father.

I have always imagined Calypso to look a little bit like this, although in this picture the girl’s eyes have a touch more blue in them than the greyish blue described in the story:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  20. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    To be completely honest, the first image I think of whenever I read the name Calypso is still this:

[​IMG]

It is, perhaps, why I don't care all that much for her.

Not open for further replies.