1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

You have no proof that there are only 20 kids per class, and you are mostly limited to Harry's class which may or may not be representative of the average class size.

As for grading, quills can be charmed to answer questions correctly and to add a bit of flare to writing from interviews. I see no reason why they couldn't also be charmed to accurately grade papers.

First of all, there was a war that was mostly contained in the UK which caused most of the examples that we may have seen in canon to either be dead or in jail. We know Dumbledore is over 100 years old, and we know that the person who tested him for his NEWTs was still around and testing a new generation in Harry's 5th year at Hogwarts.

Those are 2 examples of people who are over 100 years old that still have jobs. 2 examples might not sound like much, but since we have a very small sample size of adults, it is more than enough to draw conclusions from. Most of the people we see in Harry Potter are school age or the parents of kids at Hogwarts. We don't even know for certain the ages of those parents much less the Hogwarts instructors.

This isn't to say that we only have two examples of wizards living to be over 100 those are just the ones with jobs. Bathilda Bagshot was an adult when Albus was but a child, and she was the great aunt of Grindelwald. I don't think it is much of a stretch to think that she might be pushing 200. Likewise, Muriel is also over 100 years old. That is just off of the top of my head.

2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

It's entirely possible to cut that debate short by linking this. The TL;DR: No, the size of the wizarding world as given by Hogwarts (~3,000) does not go with the size of the stadium. That has been pointed out before. I prefer the size of the stadium. So I take that, and ignore Hogwarts.

3. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Ordinary wizards and witches might not even go to a school; it could be that they simply continue their family business or are apprenticed to learn some other trade.

EDIT: Damn... I just got ninjaed by Sesc.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  4. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

There are about 300 students in Hogwarts, 3000 wizards in Britain and 150.000 attendees for the Quidditch final. No, that doesn't really fit. And no, it won't ever fit. Trying to put the demographic of the Wizarding World in numbers is like trying to explain magic with science. It can't be done without breaking canon.

Just make of it what you need it to be and handwave the rest. It's what Rowling did and it's how this part of her world is build up to be. She couldn't work numbers, so they've become almost completely irrelevant, whether it be science, economics or demographics. In the end, the impression of the amount is more important than the exact amount itself.

5. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The missing wizards are the wizarding world's version of dark matter. The HP universe indicates that they exist, but no one's ever seen them.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  6. diesIovis

diesIovis Seventh Year

Not taking in account that the tickets for the WC are supposedly hard to come by, that would mean that some type of minority is only supposed to get them and therefore the general population should be even bigger, even if it's a world event~

7. elflorddobby

elflorddobby Second Year

Or (and this is far more probable and makes much more sense if you think about it) maybe like ith muggles, wizards from all over europe travel to the world cup.

8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Even that doesn't provide the numbers for 100,000 seats. The entire wizarding population of Europe would have had to empty itself and you'd still be struggling to fill that stadium. And that's not taking into account the administrative staff, the security, the business owners outside the stadium.

9. Andy

Andy First Year

You also have to consider that not every member of the population will like Quidditch. Football is the most popular sport in Britain and it's not like the entire country watches it. You would need the whole population and then some to fill the QWC stadium based on JK's figures.

10. A Curious Stranger

A Curious Stranger Second Year

It's quite easy if you take the whole thing as a dick waving contest between wizarding nations. It doesn't matter if you can't fill the stadium to capacity, England just built a brand new stadium in less than a month that seats a hundred thousand. Take that you dirty frog lovers! It's a bit of a stretch to say that countries would go that far to show off I admit, but hey look at the Koreas. That is some massive dick waving between them. And once you take into account that magic allows for miracles in everything, fast construction isn't a stretch. It just needs skilled and motivated workers.

I mean sure you might say it's a waste to build such a massive space and not fill it to capacity, but by that logic, I might as well say it's a waste to buy a massive mansion but use only a couple rooms, leaving the rest to decay. And yet wealthy people do this a lot. Pride is a simple explanation that fits.

11. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

No updates til December? Elaborate ruse, Santi!

12. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Nah, I just had a bit of free time before orientation starts.

Enjoy

13. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

Harry/Calypso duel was pure fuckin' awesome. Enjoyed the Age Line twist and Karkaroff's conversation with Romulus. Altogether your best update, in my opinion. Nice work, Santi.

14. A Curious Stranger

A Curious Stranger Second Year

I see Kira isn't going to Hogwarts. That solves (sorta) one problem. Wait never mind, I'm dumb, I wasn't reading closely enough. I read her lines as Calypso's.

I see Kosarev is giving hints to Harry about the Age Line. Definitely sounds like a ward he should see as a challenge no?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  15. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

Didn't think of that. She's either fifteen or sixteen, right? And imagine the hissy fit she'll throw upon finding out that Harry and Calypso get to go.

16. Plothole

Plothole Fifth Year

Culminating in her breaking up with Krum because of jealously perhaps? Her boyfriend and his two friends (I guess Calypso is sorta Krum's friend) get to go but she can't.

Btw, great chapter Santi. Your best dueling scene as of yet. I was pretty shocked by the lengths Calypso and Harry were willing to go for the tournament, but I guess it makes sense, all things considered.

17. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Harry is quickly becoming a very powerful wizard. He's just entering 4th year and I doubt there are many students of all ages who can compete with him. It's almost scary to think what he will be capable of after another three years of learning.

I hope that we will actually see Harry traveling around the world in some point of this fic, if only to see how crafty Santi will use what little we know from the canon about other countries and make it fit his story.

Also, great, now nobody will believe Nathan that he was entered this Tournament unwillingly, since his brother will actually cheat the Age Line to be in the competition. :)

Was it just Harry detecting Romulus (which is very impressive) or something else (probably connected to false memories)?

EDIT: As long as you have time and inspiration keep writing, Santi. It would be nice to see the beginning of Tournament (even if that's just choosing Champions) before your long break.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  18. Torak

Torak Death Eater

Kira is of age so she's going.

19. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

Really? I'm sure she's in the year below Krum.

20. Torak

Torak Death Eater

And Krum was 18 at the start of the tournament in canon.

Not open for further replies.