1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Bittersweet Freedom

Bittersweet Freedom Second Year

Question: would Harry be able to sense animagi using Legilimency? If not, Rita could produce some problems if she overhears Harry and Calypso talking about her dad.

2. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

I'm fairly certain that they do. We have seen Grindelwald's mark which is a reference to the Hallows in canon, and Santi said the cloak would show up around 5th or 6th year iirc.

Calypso is going to have the animagus form of a badger. I'm calling it now. I can't think of an animal that fits her personality better. I hope she achieves her transformation soon.

3. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

Potentially, but it may not be as effective when they are in animal form for the same reason that Dementors weren't able to detect & affect them.

I'm not sure if I'm mixing up canon & fanon though - did Sirius say it because emotions were dulled as an animal?

Edit: I doubt Harry would have much reason to perform active legilimency on an animal (especially a beetle), but with something like passive? It would definitely raise suspicions if he sensed that the beetle buzzing around was radiating unusual amounts of glee or satisfaction.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  4. cenares

cenares Fourth Year

Given that it was probably lost in the shuffle I'm reposting this.

Does anyone have any theories on how Voldemort is going to try and convince Harry to join his side or even how he plans to reconnect with Harry? To my knowledge, Harry is still unaware that Voldemort was possessing Quirrell. So in Harry's eyes his mentor is dead. For Voldemort to hold any sway with Harry he has to convince him that he really was his mentor and some how try to persuade him to his side. While I'm not doubting the Dark Lord's manipulative abilities I'm still wondering how he's going to go about this.

5. Expelliarmus

Expelliarmus Third Year

That situation would be great for the fic. Already I can imagine in the Rita's article against Harry, the public revelation of his affair with the only daughter of a Death Eater left for dead, who teaches Dark Arts at Durmstrang Institute.

I also hope that the Deathly Hallows exist in the fic, because that would also be the appearance of Voldemort's horcruxes, and the shady past of Dumbledore and his "admiration" to Grindelwald.

Now I do not remember reliably where I read it, but I thought the Animagus form of Calypso was a hyena or a jackal. If it is not, are there clues to the true Animagus form?

6. diesIovis

diesIovis Seventh Year

Well I only disputed him leading a faction I never ruled out any other outcome as I am well aware of what this fic is supposed to depict and being a goody-all isn't one.

But "seriously" he could become infamous for killing the Wizengamot with fluffy bunnies~

7. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

Despite being a one-time 'mentor' Harry doesn't hold any tender feelings for Quirrell. Quirrell tried to kill his brother after all (when stunning would have been fine) and he has since had other teachers that have taken equal, if not greater interest in his education. We haven't seen him reflect on it since then either, so it's not as if his death is weighing on him.

If Harry found out that it was Voldemort who was possessing Quirrell, I doubt it would somehow endear him to the Dark Lord. I suppose that Voldemort could try to make a claim for Harry's success, since he 'set him on the path' or something like that - but I don't think Harry is the type to let another take credit for his hard work.

yak
  8. Expelliarmus

Expelliarmus Third Year

Voldemort is a great manipulator, and I'm sure he would do everything possible to make Harry feel indebted to him if you discover who encouraged him to go to Durmstrang was known as the Dark Lord Voldemort. And Harry, despite being a young wizard with great potential, it is still a teenager prone to fall before that one shrewd manipulator.

9. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, I really doubt it. Canon!Voldemort was stupid, and even though this one seems more sane, Harry will start out with the preconception that Voldemort is his enemy and treat everything he says with suspicion. Even if Voldemort reveals that he tutored him in first-year, I doubt Harry will feel at all indebted to him.

10. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

He'd need a pretty great argument to turn a bit of advice into Harry betraying his family & everyone who's ever loved him & that he's loved (except Calypso). I imagine that Victor would also be pissed - though we don't know his stance on the Dark Lord, we do know anti-Grindlewald, which parallels the Dark Lord on certain issues.

He may have done Harry a favour in the past, but that doesn't obligate Harry to act on the Dark Lord's behalf. We could just as easily see a scene in the graveyard where Harry thanks him for his bit of advice and demonstrates the results of it by letting loose with a curse.

If he wanted to sway Harry, he'd have better luck with a combination of threats & rewards... though again, betraying virtually everyone that mean anything in his life would take more than I could think. Harry is passionate about learning magics and not morally bankrupt; would he give them all up, for let say: an apprenticeship under Voldemort?

11. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

He could continue his relationship with Harry without revealing himself to be Voldemort. Then, after Harry does enough "evil stuff", reveal himself. Kind of like what Calypso did when she first met Harry.

12. Expelliarmus

Expelliarmus Third Year

True, but to operate well the Voldemort's manipulation about Harry, it already must have caused his estrangement from his family (maybe even Voldemort may have resulted in this separation, if Rosier forms part of Voldemort's plot). Probably occur as Krzaq said.

13. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

Ah, I see. Now, I think I understand what has been going on in this story. When Calypso got hit with that botched curse, it wasn't really a curse, but Voldemort attempting to gain a new body. Unfortunately, his fragmented soul missed and hit Calypso instead. The potions Calypso takes were Rosier and Shluga trying to restore Voldemort to his proper body, but, now, he has given up on his pursuit. The entire story has been nothing more than an elaborate set up for a Harry/Voldebabe ship. Well played, Santi, well played.

14. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

I'd read the hell out of that. T3t's fic made me want moar.

15. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

How much estrangement do you think would be needed to cause Harry to be willing sell himself to the DL - because make no mistake, this wouldn't be ideological by any means (the opposite in fact) but purely mercenary. Putting aside for a moment his reasons for joining & becoming a Death Eater (because revenge against the family doesn't cut it as a reason in my book, not even for disowning - Santi hasn't written this Harry as being that shallow), if he were to do that he would destroy any chance of reconciliation and cut himself off from almost every relationship he has.

Also, just because he is estranged or in the middle of an argument with his family, Harry's moral compass doesn't suddenly shift. His sense of Right & Wrong are virtually unchanged and joining the DL means oppressing and killing innocents, Aurors and the occational Order member. Even if he took no direct hand in it (and knowing Volde, is that really likely? He'd want proof of loyalty), he would still have to deal with his conscience. Considering that spellcasting is Harry's strength (not potions, spellcraft, ect) he's either be casting the spells or creating enchantments to be used by the Death Eaters.

Remember, pro-Dark isn't the same as pro-Voldemort and just because Harry is willing to sacrifice animals (or who knows? Muggles, down the road) to perform Dark Magic doesn't mean his character has changed enough that he'd line up with his family's sworn enemies, against them.

Mind you, you could throw out a hundred hypothetical scenarios like:

What if Harry was imprisoned in Azkaban, and the DL rescued him in exchange for his loyalty?

What if he was fed a potion that destroyed his sense of right & wrong?

What if Calypso & Bellatrix got together in a sexy & incestuous (and therefore, traditionally pureblooded) three-way, which cause Harry's teenage hormones to temporarily make him prone to the Dark Lord's manipulations....

But I'd rather make educated guesses based on what I know of human nature (and what is likely), as well as what the story has shown of the characters, their personalities and their histories. If Santi wants to rely on something like Imperius or a potion to get Harry to join Volde, that's his prerogative - but it's also something that we won't be able to predict without resorting to wild guesses.

16. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I was thinking about the canon Triwizard Tournament's tasks and I must say that with them being so overused in fanfiction, we (well, at least I) stopped appreciate how good they are.

The first one quite obvious. A classic retrieval of a treasure guarded by a dragon that is very common task in so many heroic stories. A perfect challenge to test how brave and cunning the Champions are. Also, the way it's organized let many spectators to witness this task.

The second one is quite criticized (as is the third one) for being hidden from viewers. But aside that it's still a very clever challenge – to test how the Champions will prepare and fare in a very unusual environment. I doubt many wizards ever bother to think how capable they would be underwater. Retrieving a kidnapped person is another classic task for a hero in old stories. This also adds a stress factor for the Champions who on some level may know that nothing bad will happen to their close ones, but obviously still worry. Not to mention it's more dramatic for viewers.

And the third task, probably the most challenging, yet because of Barty Crouch Jr. manipulations we didn't really have a chance to see that. Not only the Champions must look out for many dangers they may find on their run to the Cup, but more importantly for the first time in the Tournament dueling or just somehow hindering each other chance is actually an option to be seriously considered. Also, finding the way in the maze is another classic theme from heroic stories.

If Santi plans to use the canon tasks, the only change I'd personally make is to add some feature letting spectators witness 2nd and 3rd challenge.

17. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

That's absolute nonsense. IQ tests are metrics that all research shows are in no way linked to genetics. These inborn traits, on the other, are in fact (apparently) linked to lineage and genetics.

Your argument appears to be that because a fact can be used to justify racists ideology, it should be suppressed and not talked about. The knowledge that purebloods have rare talents that muggleborns don't is (in this world) a biological, absolute fact. It doesn't depend on education, social structure or anything like that. It depends on lineage.

Anything fact or bit or knowledge can be used or twisted to support whatever ideology you choose. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be shared or that the person sharing it is a manipulator embuing you with their nefarious beliefs. Calypso pointed out a fact to him. He questioned that fact. His parents, believers in equality confirmed that yes, that's how it works.

Your argument that Harry gaining controversial knowledge is bad and necessarily some plot to twist his beliefs says a hell of a lot more about you than it does about Calypso.

Stop spewing nonsense into the thread then. No one's misrepresenting you. Your points are just nonsensical and don't logically follow each other.

18. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

No. We've been back on track for several posts now. Don't kill a good thing. For the love of god, just fucking drop it already.

19. vshl.prshd

vshl.prshd Squib

Would Harry's animagus form be able to get past Dumbledore's age line?

20. Bittersweet Freedom

Bittersweet Freedom Second Year

I don't know. It's a possibility. After all, the age line is probably not keyed to animals, only humans, which makes sense as it's illegal to practice animagi transformation before 18 (I think). And even if it were...there's always dog years to consider.

EDIT: Never mind. It's illegal not to register. Pretty sure Dumbledore won't assume there are unregistered animagi.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
Not open for further replies.