1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't think it's that simple. If it were, you could simply throw your name into the goblet from outside the age line. It's a bit "smarter" than that, I think.

2. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

How do you know that? Is it explicitly stated in canon?

3. Bittersweet Freedom

Bittersweet Freedom Second Year

No, but this is fanfiction. Anything is possible and Harry has to find some way of getting his name into the Goblet, otherwise it'd just be boring. A professor could it for him. Maybe the same way Barty Crouch Jr. pits Nathan's name in. I think it'd be interesting to have 5 champions competing.

Of course, this is all just wild speculation (and fantasizing) on my part.

4. syed

syed Supermod

Santi said Harry wont be moved a year, but could he potentially sit his exams early?

Malfoy opens his mouth at all the wrong times, so what will he say to nathan before the triwizard competition starts.

HArry has around 52 days to prepare for the exam, less and more depending on the ship. So study the history of the tasks.

WIll Moody be potential ally or enemy, will harry have to defend calpso from the fake.

What will harry do during the day without classes, spending the days with the library, or finding somewhere to practise. Will we see harry taking calypso to hogsmead and exploring the castle.

5. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Remember, Dumbledore made the thing. He's a crazy old man, and magic is his bitch. Age potions didn't work, and when Fred and George tried it, it pranked them. It's not going to be easy to get around, and I wouldn't be surprised if Harry tried and failed a few times before he actually did it. Honestly, I would be pretty disappointed if it were easy for him.

6. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

I really hope it's a honey badger

7. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

If Harry had more time, I could see him doing wait and see approach - watching Weasley twins' attempts to reach the Cup before trying on his own. But with just one day to do it, I think if he will not have any cleaver idea, he will try to take it with a brute force as Professor Kosarev suggested. Provided that Dumbledore didn't expect any younger student to have so much willpower to overpower his standard ward (meaning - not created to stop dark lord level wizards), it may work just fine for Harry.

8. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

To the mod that changed the title: Harry Potter and the Thread of Irrationality.

/fix'd

9. Styx0444

Maybe, but still, It's Dumbledore. Even his standard is pretty badass, and he'd probably think to make it so that the random fifth/sixth/seventh year that hadn't turned of age yet and read a book on ward breaking couldn't shut it down.

10. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

Ah, my bad. I tried finding the bits that explained what happened when Harry confronted Quirrell, and it seemed pretty vague. Good for Santi - leaves him a heck of a lot of room for whatever plan he's come up with for Nathan / Voldemort.

How is it that a thread can be both the best and worst in DLP's history? I mean, what the fuck is going on, here? I'm not certain that there's even a single multiple-post poster in this thread who hasn't been drawn into the derp at least once (including me, of course). Seriously...what the hell? I like this story quite a bit, but have trouble understanding why it inspires so much chatter.

11. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Fortunately Harry is no random student. :)

If it will end with the battle of the wills, I can believe that right now Harry is motivated enough ("Like I said, sir, I don't want to be the Durmstrang champion, I want to win.") to take down a ward created by Dumbledore with his approach along the lines of - just to make sure they don't hurt themselves.

I thought about it and have a few ideas explaining this phenomenon. Santi's story is very, and I mean very, close to the canon in term of magic and world. Because of that when normally we just wait and see what author has in his mind, because it's hard to predict any future development with all new elements that showed up, like for example in any Joe's fic, in this one people can use the canon material as source of their speculations.

As for the derails, I think their numbers go up exponentially with the length of the thread, so it's not a surprise that the longest one on this forum has so many.

12. cenares

cenares Fourth Year

For the sakes of Styx0444 I'm going to leave this point alone. There is in fact quite bit of data supporting my point and a very fierce debate on the morals of continuing such research as the consequence of the research could have some far reaching and possibly disastrous effects. It's somewhat ironic that the mixing with our less intelligent brethren the Neanderthal might have been the spark that set off human civilization. If you read more into the subject you will know what I'm talking about. A firm grasp of statistics wouldn't hurt either.

On another note, I'm fairly certain that Harry will be able to sense a persons mind even when they have transformed into an animal. Given that Rita could remember things that she heard as a bug tell me that magic is playing a serious part in maintaining her mental functions. So I'm saying that Harry will be able to know that she's there. I never really liked Rita so I'm kind of hoping for something nasty to happen to her or some serious black mailing moments.

13. Torak

Torak Death Eater

I love the mods :awesome

14. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

15. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

My bad Styx. Missed the new pages when I came back.

16. yourself196

yourself196 Squib DLP Supporter

At the risk of sounding really stupid, why is the thread titled Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality by the Santi?

17. Chereche

Chereche Squib

Trust me, I've been wondering the same thing a while now.

18. Styx0444

I've never really been clear on how the whole mind magic thing worked, but if I remember right, Dumbledore was unable to sense her in canon. Doesn't really mean much, since despite being a major element of one of the book, it was never really elaborated on.

Still, it might be interesting to see Harry go into the Forbidden Forest and accidentally summon her in the 'blood of the earth' part of the earth elemental ritual.

Edit for the noods (yourself196 and Chereche): One, it says 'Irrationality'. Two, it says that because the mods here are awesome... Or insane... Or dicks, really you can take your pick :awesome

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  19. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I don't think she was ever close enough in her animagus form.

20. Expelliarmus

Expelliarmus Third Year

If this sequence occurs, Rita should be one of the bugs that are still living but trapped in the creature that Harry used to the ritual of elemental earth. That way, Rita is still alive, could tell all after becoming human, but probably would be very strange, perhaps more odd than it was Bertha Jerkins after his boss had dismemorized for discovering the secret of Barty Crouch Jr. Just imagine the situation. :D

As for Harry to use the Animagus transformation to circumvent the age line by Dumbledore, although it would be a great trick, I doubt that Harry uses it, because he has not been able to completely transform at will into a Doberman.

By the way, have not missed a chapter where we could see the different reactions of other characters after the match and the family reunion with Calypso, as it finished the summer after second year (If I remember correctly, I think that chapter is called Interlude reactions)? We could have seen the real reactions of James, Lily and Nathan on his first encounter with Calypso, as it would be Viktor after his defeat in the final as he would discover the fight that took his girlfriend with Calypso during the match, and Calypso would tell her father as was the first meeting with the Potters, etcetera.

Not open for further replies.