1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Percy Jackson and the Olympians

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Sol, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Finished the Throne of Fire a few days ago and whoever told me that Zia became a main character can go screw himself for that lie >_>

Zia doesn't appear until 2/3 of the book is finished and even then, she only really is there for two chapters at most. She had more presence in the last book!

On the whole, I would say it's on the same level as the last one, maybe a tad bit better.

Sadie started the book as a raving, arrogant, selfish, ungrateful and immature bitch and she ended the book as a slightly less raving, arrogant, selfish, ungrateful and immature bitch, so no real improvement there. She still was an ignorant cunt to everyone she met and overall made me wish for her cruel death every time she appeared.

Carter was slightly better in this book too, although he still seems to be a rather weak main character.

Walt was surprisingly uninteresting and bland.

Bas was pretty cool though.

Rather meh book. Main character pretty much suck, the gods are handled not nearly as well as in the PJ series and the only truly interesting character, Zia, does not get the time she deserves.

2. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Jesus fuck, this. If there were a drinking game centered around taking shots every time their "brotherly" relationship were mentioned, no one would survive it.

2.5/5, I guess...interesting idea, but not the best execution. I would have liked better discussion of the interaction between Greek and Egyptian pantheons, as well as more action and more of Percy as a main character (that last one is a personal bias, though).

3. Nemrut

High Score:
    Here is an interesting fanfiction:

Roman Roulette is quasi the Son of Neptune as this author imagines it. It's way more "mature" than the books, involving sex and the like but overall, while it isn't great, it was still the most enjoyable PJ story I've read, despite the fact that it was not in the first person.

And I have to say, I liked each, Reynar and Bobby way more than all three new leads of the last book combined.

Pretty solid story. It's completed but with a sequel in the works as it's definitely not finished.

4. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I like this fic.

Also I wonder if that isn't a realistic theory on how he loses his invincibilty. Seeing as how Annabeth was his connection to life in the styx, could forgetting about Annabeth cause him to lose it?

5. Nemrut

High Score:
    I liked that theory myself, it seems somewhat plausible and fitting with the lore.

Unfortunately, as far as the information about the actual book go, even if those information are from wikipedia, it seems Percy willingly gives them up to gain entrance to the Roman camp.

Kind of shitty, imo, but what are you going to do?

I hope the sequel will be up within the next two weeks, am kind of looking forward to the Camp Halfblood's reaction to all of this and the inevitable confrontation between Percy and Jason.

I like how Percy thinks Jason is kind of a tool.(and rightfully so)

6. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Just read this. Quite interesting, and well written, though I did skip some parts. It got boring at times, especially when it was in POVs other than Percy's, but overall it was a great read. The sequel has as many chances at awesomeness as it has to fail.

7. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

I'd tried Roman Roulette and quit because I didn't really like it. Y'alls reccs got me to try it again. I tried it again, and I still think the beginning is really week, but it starts getting much better around chapter 12. It explained a lot of the stuff that was bugging me to the extent that I couldn't enjoy the story. Ironically enough I quit around Chapter 10 or 11 last time, just before it starts to get good.

All in all, it's just ok. Its one of the better PJ fics, but that's not a high bar. I think the characterization of Reyna is atrocious and constant amateur pyschology he has Bobby spout (where it seems to me that Bobby is clearly a mouthpiece for his desire to show off his limited understanding of the subject) really, really bug me. And in a lot of places I think he forces the 'adult' themes just to make the story more edgy. Frequently they don't actually add anything.

I'd probably give it a 2.75-3/5

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  8. Nemrut

High Score:
    Can someone tell me why there are so many damn "X reads the Percy Jackson books" fanfics out there? I swear, every third story is one of those >_>

9. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Just read the first book in this series -- it's a fair sight better than most of the children's literature out there these days. Far superior to the Pendragon books (of which I barely managed to finish the first). Glad I read it thanks to DLP's recommendation.

Are the rest of the books of similar quality? I mean, they weren't absolutely fantastic, but they were easy and fun to read, and Percy is a pretty good protagonist with his fair share of weaknesses and strengths both.

10. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Yeah, overall the series holds up in quality. You can tell that Riordan spent a lot of time digging through the mythology to make everything work well together.

I think (hope) the pinnacle of his writing will be the Son of Neptune, though. Can't wait for its release.

11. Nemrut

High Score:
    I have high hopes for that. He seems to get better with each book that has Percy in it. The five page sample of Son of Neptune was already better than Lost Hero and the two Egypt books combined.

12. Nemrut

High Score:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX-UqubDqFc

Dunno if this warrants the sort of necro but the cover looks pretty sweet on a real book and I dig the picture of the Roman chick who sits on the Throne.

So yeah, still pretty psyched about this

13. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

It's not really a necro, since you're providing relevant, new information. I wonder who the Roman girl is. Reyna? Hazel, the POV character?

Also, I suppose I should mention this.

After the disappointment of the first movie, I don't know how they're going to pull SoM off. Oh well. At least they're giving the franchise another go, which is more than I could say about His Dark Materials. I wonder who they'll cast as Clarisse, though.

14. Nemrut

High Score:
    I hope it's Reyna. The name sounds cool and I would like her to be a haughty, royal-y girl who seriously kicks @ss.

About the movie, well, I don't have any expectations. The first movie was a disaster and I can only hope the new director (it's a new director, right?) does things right.

And seems they are not that sure about another sequel so it seems they are going to include elements of the continuing books as well, which I don't really like.

15. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not even gonna bother seeing it, the only way I would is if they re-did the first movie again or ignored it and they spelled out that they plan on keeping the story changes they made in the first movie.

16. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    If that were to happen, I'd hope they keep the actor, whoever it is. He seriously looks like the Percy in my head, unlike the rest of the cast, Zeus and Poseidon excluded.

17. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

The link I posted, along with a few other sources, state that the original actors (Lerman, Daddario, Jackson, Abel) will reprise their roles as the main characters (Percy, Annabeth, Grover, Luke). We don't know about the adults, though.

Logan Lerman was a pretty good Percy, the age thing notwithstanding. I heard from somewhere that he signed on for two more sequels after Lightning Thief, so we'll probably get another one after Sea of Monsters, assuming it isn't a complete flop.

Riordan did say that he wants to see Thalia, Clarisse, and Nico on-screen; it'd be nearly impossible to introduce all three of them in one movie, especially if they utilise the Titan's Curse plot (e.g. Bianca and Zoe).

Hence, we might see another movie after Sea of Monsters, depending on the franchise's success.

18. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

19. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    That is a sad fact then, because Annabeth's actor sucked. As in, ruined-the-movie sucked. I'd hoped they'd change her. Oh well, at least Luke's was decent.

20. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

I didn't read the whole thread, but judging by the fact there are twelve pages, I'm guessing DLP liked this series, generally speaking... unless there's been a flame-fest somewhere in here and I missed it because I was wary of possible spoilers.

Anyway, can you guys tell me if the later books and the grown-up characters become less annoying than in the Lightning Thief and (the beginning of) the Sea of Monsters? Does the writing change or stay as dry? What about the plot? Does it remain as childish and telegraphed?

If you still didn't get it, I was far from impressed by the first book. I started the second and had to stop before I smashed the screen in rage. Judging by my questions, should I swallow what would be a temporary storm of murdering thoughts and continue reading?

Uncle Stojil