1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Percy Jackson and the Olympians

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Sol, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Yes, yes it did.
    Grown up characters? Where?

You shouldn't. You should stop reading now, because it's still the same series, and it doesn't become a different series at any point along the way.

2. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

I mean the main characters in the later books, when they'll supposedly be older. Percy is twelve in Lightning Thief and thirteen in Sea of Monsters. I'm guessing he'll be fourteen in the third book, fifteen in the fourth and sixteen in the fifth. He and every single one of his fellow demigods (plus the satyr) are annoying bordering on insufferable in the Lightning Thief and in the first part of the Sea of Monsters. Do they grow out of it?

That's not what I asked. That 'same' series would be great... if it got better.

Uncle Stojil

3. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

I can't really tell you if the characters become less annoying as that's a matter of opinion, but I will say that they all do mature somewhat. There is one character that will probably make you want to rip your book in half: Thalia. She seems to be a universally hated character, though even she matures to the point where she's tolerable.

The plot progresses in the same manner as Harry Potter. It gets darker and more gritty as it goes along, but it's still a children's book, so there's isn't anything mind blowing.

It also stays relatively telegraphed. You can pretty much predict most of what's to happen, though there are some things that may catch you by surprise. Again, don't expect anything mind blowing.

I'm of the opinion that you should, just to give the whole series a chance, but if you continue to feel that it's just fucking terrible even after reading Titan's Curse, you should probably just stop.

4. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

I somewhat suspected that the tree would return to be the girl (Terry Brooks docet), but great job spoiling it for me, awinarock. Thanks for the rest of your answer, I guess... I dunno if I'll pick the series up again.

Uncle Stojil

5. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

I don't see how I spoiled it. I never said anything about the Thalia and the tree. For all you know, she could be any random character.

6. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I enjoyed them all, but only for a "oh god I just re-read The Dresden Files, and haven't yet heard of DLP so most fanfiction I've found is only readable once if at all" read. I read one a night, every night, and finished the series. It was mehish. I smiled a few times, and didn't hate the words.

But I wouldn't buy the books for myself.

7. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Apparently, they release a new character from "The Son of Neptune" each week until the release of the book.

If you guys are interested, here is the link to the first one, who is named Frank. (Kind of a lame name but maybe that's the point)

http://disney.go.com/?section=PMPages/DCOM/official-sites/heroes-of-olympus&key=frank

Can't really say much about the character, barely anything is revealed. It should be fun to see how this systematically destroys various fanfiction of people who made up new characters or who painted the characters whose names were known in a specific and wrong way.

8. Nemrut

High Score:
  9. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

Hm, who do you think is Reyna's Olympian parent? Judging from that picture, I'm guessing maybe Mercury? I'm really not sure. o_O;; Anyway, completely psyched for Son of Neptune. I haven't been this excited since the release of the DH movie. =3

10. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Fuck, Rick Riordan is such a cocktease. WE HATE/LOVE YOU, RR.

I will say that these characters are already 1000x better than any fanfiction versions.

11. Nemrut

High Score:
    Hard to say really. I would love it if she were the daughter of someone like Hecate or Bacchus. Aphrodite spawn got an upgrade in the last book, the others should get some as well.

I just hope it won't be Minerva >_>

Better than fanfiction isn't hard but they should be better than the ones from Pyramid and the last book. While they were tolerable, they weren't nearly as awesome as the original crew

12. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

13. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

A haruspex, huh? Very Roman... I like it. xD

Raise your hand if these little snippets have reignited your proclivity for the PJO fandom (e.g. fanfiction, fanart, etc.).

[/raises hand]

14. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

15. Nemrut

High Score:
    I actually like what we have seen from Frank and I hope that Hazel will seem just as good.

This book is really shaping up nicely. Can't wait for seeing Percy again. First chapter was very promising.

16. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

17. Nemrut

High Score:
    I hope he is not going to be another Anubis >_> Really disliked him in the Egyptian books of Riordan.

18. Sol

Sol High Inquisitor

I'm just lol-ing at the picture of a tall(?), muscular, black man in a simple beige tunic, in chains. That's just screaming PR blunder to me, especially considering Disney's racially sensitive past. Wonder who drew that?

19. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

20. Nemrut

High Score:
    Actually, the horse sounds kind of cool...