1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    One sec, I'll check and edit my post.

This is mildly confusing, but seems to say that according to the rules, those whose names come out of the goblet are bound to compete. Whether this is bound magically or not is obviously the question, but at this point it becomes "why is canon stupid" again.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  2. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

The Age Line wasn't a rule as such, it was a safety measure. The Rules have been part of the Tournament for ages and are connected to the Goblet itself. And the rules say Harry was bound to compete. It's a binding magical contract (canon). If those rules were easy to change, they could have just set up the Goblet again, like Karkaroff wanted.

The rules of Triwizard Tournament are basically a magical contract that one signs, when they put their name into the Goblet.

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

"Finally, I wish to impress upon any of you wishing to compete that this tourna-
    ment is not to be entered into lightly. Once a champion has been selected by
    the Goblet of Fire, he or she is obliged to see the tournament through to the end.
    The placing of your name in the goblet constitutes a binding, magical contract.
    There can be no change of heart once you have become a champion. Please be
    very sure, therefore, that you are wholeheartedly prepared to play before you drop
    your name into the goblet."​

When Dumbledore presents the GoF. Still, why is that stupid? Of all the retarded things with the convoluted Goblet/Resurrection scheme, that was always the most straight forward one to me. It says Harry has to compete, and so he has to compete. End of the story. Rules are rules.

You can start to argue that it's quite unsafe if someone accidentally drops his name into it, but A) that's the reason Dumbledore warned everyone, and B) it's unknown if it's possible to submit someone else's name just like that. We don't know what Barty had to do, in order to be able to submit Harry's name. I'm of the same opinion as ViolentRed, that it's quite possible that the Confundus Charm was cast for that reason as well.

4. Wizardmon0073

Wizardmon0073 Second Year

Do we know just what would be penalty (if there is one) if Harry decided to not compete ? I am not entirely sure that in canon universe something like "loss of magic" is possible and death seems too strict.

5. T3t

High Score:
    The more important question is why the Goblet would bind Harry instead of whoever entered his name for him, given that he didn't write his name on the piece of paper himself. The Goblet itself literally has no basis with which to bind him into a contract - his name can't be enough, because there are a lot of Harry Potters in the world.

6. The Great Pandemonium

The Great Pandemonium Fourth Year

Since Crouch was his teacher he could have simply tore his name off of a piece of homework, or it could be part of the confundus.

7. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

Maybe it was a piece of paper Harry had written his name on himself (from a test or something).

Maybe it's just another mysterious power of the Goblet, that can never be explained and is best kept accepted and ignored.

Maybe it was the intent behind the Confundus Charm.

Or maybe Crouch transfigured an ear on the Goblet and whispered, "It's the scrawny little git with the glasses and ugly scar."

8. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

This. Seriously. That question wasn't even there, T3t. It's magic. It's the goblet's job to know which person is meant, and so it does. Except it was confounded and forgot there were only three schools, and maybe it forgot other things as well. Since it's never explained in detail, we don't know much about it -- except that it is possible, obviously, and I see no reason why that creates problems. There are enough possible ways to explain it, if one cares to do that.

What is far more stupid is that Barty confounded the goblet in the first place to set up the entire plot with the Portkey at the end, and, to get this back to Santi's story, I for one hope that this is one of the things he changes.

9. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

I agree; this idea reminds me of the concept of a Name in Dresden. Sesc makes a lot of good points though, the best one being "it's magic". While I'd like for the reasoning behind it to be clear and simple, the fact remains that it is magic, and it doesn't need to be simple, or even understandable.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  10. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

I am actually hoping this Triwizard tournament will deviate from canon even more than what you guys have been suggesting. I'm hoping that it will be shown what changes this world has. Is there a prophecy still that would affect Voldemort's actions? Why go through all that trouble to grab the champion in a triwizard tournament when he can grab just any enemy? What if he has been resurrected already? Who knows, but I really just want Death Eater involvement in this tournament in ways other than the usual canon Portkey at the end of third task etc.

11. T3t

High Score:
    This bit about magic not needing to be understandable bugs me to no end, but I don't have time to argue to point now so I'll create a thread later.

12. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's not that it not understandable. It's that it's not understandable in non-magical terms. It is a contained system. It does not supervene on anything more basic than magic. If you want to make a cosmic hierarchy of reality, it's magic "all the way down".

Kinda how physics isn't understandable in non-physical terms.

Trying to seek an explanation of magic in terms of the norms of real world physics, logic, decision theory, etc., is as misguided, IMO, as trying to explain real world physics in terms of magic.

13. frozenshinobi

frozenshinobi Muggle

Okay first post on this site and I’ve been here a while so I’ll try to not make it pointless.

I’ve been curios as to what people think will happen if Voldemort’s resurrection takes place the same as canon because I can’t quite see Harry’s parents allowing him to return to Drumstrang with the danger it would pose from both staff and students, so this could possibly mean that Harry will return to Hogwarts for his fifth year. Just wondering what people thought of this actually happening.

Also another outcome that I could see from the triwizard tournament is if Calypso manages to get around the age limit and is chosen as the Drumstrang champion I could see her place being switched with Cedric’s and her dying. This would be interesting to see the way Harry reacts possibly delving further into dark magic for revenge. I also don’t see Harry joining Voldemort from what we’ve seen of his character thus far it seems Harry is completely devoted to his family.

14. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Calypso could not take the place of Cedric in that scenario. No way in hell will Calypso accept a tie with anyone.

Also, being related to two generations of Death Eaters, Calypso would not be killed like Cedric did.

15. frozenshinobi

frozenshinobi Muggle

ye actually I wasn't really thinking about how them sharing the cup like in canon and if it came down to it calypso would destroy Nathan in a duel, however I don't think calypso's relation to death eaters would matter if she got in the way of the ritual she would be killed, although that hinges on whether or not she would even try to stop it.

16. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

This has actually been my theory for a while - that Harry would be sent to Hogwarts for his fifth year, but I can only really see it realistically happening if Rosier is exposed as a teacher there. With Voldemort resurrected, even with Karkaroff gone (btw, who do you think would take his place? Prof with seniority or appointed by a board?), Rosier has immediate access to Harry and I can't see his parents tolorating it. They had enough of a problem with Karkaroff - and that was with Dumbledore having leverage on him and there being no external influence driving him to potentially harm Harry.

Then there's the entire 'Rosier teaching Harry the Dark Arts' thing. The fact that Harry has deceived them concerning it (not mentioning that his girlfriend's father is alive, that he's Romulus, and letting Sirius believe her father was Evan) won't turn out well. He hasn't outright lied to them, but that excuse isn't going to fly - he's hiding things that he knows they wouldn't approve of and would be upset with. That we now know that it was Evan Rosier that brought Severus down the path of a Death Eater just adds fuel to this fire. They might just want move him to a more controlled environment - where they know he's not being 'corrupted'. Mind you, there no guarantee Rosier would be teaching that year.

The only way I could see them letting him stay there was if Rosier ended up becoming a spy for the Order, complete with oaths & everything. I have no idea how likely this is... he mentioned their family 'making some rash decisions in the past' and him not wanting to make another one. But I don't think that this statement was ever really explained... I don't think it has to do with the betrothal, though I'm not sure what else it might be other than some lame 'align ourselves with the next uber-wizard' plot and I have more faith in The Santi than that. Before Calypso was revealed as being barren, I thought it might be tied in with his defection - Romulus securing the agreement, cementing his daughter's future by agreeing to spy on the Dark Lord. No betrothal for now though.

Anyways, likelyhood aside, I hope that Harry does come to Hogwarts for his fifth. It would add to the conflict with his parents, and seeing him interact with Umbridge (he doesn't suffer fools) and the potential with the DA would be interesting. Also seeing what he might do with the Room of Requirement would be cool (assuming he doesn't find it this year). I have to wonder if he'd be stuck in 5th year classes... would that add more resentment towards his parents/Dumbledore... maybe he'd delve into things he knows they wouldn't approve of simply to spite them? Victor is gone next year so he'd miss Calypso, his professors his DA & Spell Creation classes...

I don't know... it just seems that after a year of Harry interacting with the 'main' plots at Hogwarts, to go back to experiencing them only through letters and the end-of-year event seems like a step backwards. Maybe Santi has Durmstrang-related excitement planned for that year (and if he's returning there - he'd better ;) There's potential there as the Dark Lord recruits abroad), but from where I'm sitting I hope he's Hogwarts-bound.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  17. frozenshinobi

frozenshinobi Muggle

I agree with what you have said greener for the most part although I don't think it would even take the potters finding out about Rosier for them to pull Harry from Drumstrang given how much they were against it from the beginning due to its connections to Voldemort, even when they believed him dead. Harry returning to Hogwarts seems the most logical outcome, if santi does however choose to have Harry return to Drumstrang I look forward to the potters reasons for it.

Also the Rosier being a spy for the order seems completely impossible as in the last chapter he called Karkaroff a traitor, which sounds to me like he's for Voldemort.

18. calutron

calutron Unspeakable

I can definitely see that happening. It is possible that Harry might walk out on the Potters, or maybe Calypso convinces him to walk out on the Potters. It all depends on the development of the Calypso-Harry relationship dynamic.

On the other hand, Drumstrang teaches dark magic, and is full of violent people, but they are not necessarily aligned with the Voldemort. If you put up numbers, there are probably way more Voldemort sympathizers in Hogwarts then in Drumstrang. So maybe that won't be such a problem.

Also his previous susceptibility to influence from Voldemort will be called in, question his loyalty eventually.

Welcome to DLP, by the way.

19. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

Even if Harry is sent back to Durmstrang for his 5th year the major conflict happens out of Hogwarts anyway in the DoM. Harry could easily go to Durmstrang, finish the year, and then go to the DoM to save Nathan.

20. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Assuming any of that happens at all, since Nathan wouldn't go by himself without checking in with others, Umbridge may never come to Hogwarts, and is their even a prophesy in this story?

Not open for further replies.