1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Wait, when did Santi say that she is, in fact, barren? Unless I missed something this is just speculation, not a fact.

---------- Post automerged at 07:16 ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 ----------

Yes there is.

2. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

You didn't miss it. Calypso being barren is speculation.

3. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

Stop depressing me. I want to see Harry trying to kill Bellatrix to avenge Sirius. Given Harry's tendency to get pissed off at people for endangering his people, it'll be interesting to see him rip into Nathan for getting Sirius killed. In canon I don't recall anyone doing that as Harry is a kid.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  4. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

I would love to see that. You just know that Harry would tear into Nathan about being so stupid. Him blaming his brother for Sirius's death would be an interesting way of distancing Harry from his family.

5. gullibleoats

gullibleoats Seventh Year

I don't think Sirius is going to die in this story. The reason why Sirius was chosen by Voldemort in canon was because he was the closest thing to a father Harry had. Not to mention, he also wasn't in his sight everyday like Ron and Hermione were. Besides, I don't think they'll even go to the Department of Mysteries unsupervised. Canon Harry acted the way he did because he thought there was no one around to help, so he left by himself. In this story, Nathan, as canon Harry's counterpart, has a lot of people to turn to, namely his parents and his parents's friends.

6. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

I am making an assumption. It could be she isn't, however it's a moot point with my theory (which is all conjecture) since Rosier isn't seeking a betrothal for her any longer. I assume that this is why, but it may not be.

It could be that he'll pull a betrothal contact on her last minute & Harry will enter into it to prevent her from being married to someone detestable. If he does it without his parents knowing - more conflict.

7. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I do hope that Harry will go back to Durmstrang for 5th year, though I expect that he will have to fight with his parents to do that. Durmstrang may not be Hogwarts, but it still keeps its students from harm and Voldemort has also probably less influence there than in Britain, so it's not as it's lacking that much in terms of protection. Only difference is that there is no Albus around, but to tell the truth it's just an illusion of safety at Hogwarts. He can't be everywhere at once to protect students from every danger.

Anyway, what I really like about this fic is Harry's education, how he slowly become more knowledgeable, so I want to see what kind of project he will try for his last year Transfiguration and Charms.

8. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

No. Crouch says its a binding magical contract. Whether thats true or him bsing because of the imperius is open to interpretation but I'd imagine all the heads of the schools confirming it anyway.

9. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The argument that Harry's parents might return him to Hogwarts [after Voldemort's resurrection] because it's "safer" is full of holes. Harry already defeated it during his initial argument with his parents about attending Durmstrang in chapter 3. He recites the names of the children of known death eaters who're attending Hogwarts. Since then, his case for Durmstrang being safer has only increased in strength. All of the crazy shit that's been happening [Quirrelmort, basilisk, and murderous Pettigrew] has been centred on Hogwarts, not Durmstrang.

It's an easy argument to make that Harry is safer where he is, especially if Karkaroff does a runner after Voldemort's resurrection as in canon. About the only way I can see everything coming undone for Harry's continuance at Durmstrang is if Rosier Sr. is revealed as the Dark Arts teacher.

10. masteraleph

masteraleph First Year

Santi also had an additional reason that Durmstrang was safe. The teachers there have to swear binding oaths not to harm the students. We, the readers, know that Karkaroff can choose not to enforce that rule, as is the case with Romulus Rosier, but to the best of our knowledge, the Potters have no clue that this rule has exceptions.

11. Azeld

Azeld First Year

Sorry if this has been answered but will Harry still be allowed to take his advanced classes while at Hogwarts? I can't imagine him wasting a year to compete in the tournament if he wasn't.

12. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

I think the root of it was Harry's mind being open to Tom's. Albus knew that Harry could see flashes into Tom's mind and Tom realized it too. Harry thought that his visions were infallible and acted on them. Albus was convinced that Harry shouldn't rely on them because Tom may be able to deceive him with them. Albus should be able to convince Nathan's family of the same. I think once Nathan knows that his family is in line with Albus on this he'll try to take matters into his own hands again and go to the DoM.

13. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

The situation that led to Harry going to the DoM (involving Buckbeak) wouldn't work out in this fic for a number of reasons. Reason one being that Buckbeak wouldn't be living with Sirius. Obviously there's other ways to lure Nathan there, but it would be much harder in this fic.

14. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

Even if it was a magical contract you don't know what the consequences of it were. The DA had a magical contract as well, and the punishment for breaking it wasn't that bad. Of course, if one could confound the Goblet into thinking there was a 4th school, one wonders why a wizard like Dumbledore couldn't simply confound it to forget that Harry is a champion or simply alter the contract. I mean the man had the elder wand and was a genius in his own right.

As for Molly conjuring sauce, yes, that is entirely possible that she did. I don't have my books to confirm. The point is irrelevant to what I was saying. According to the internet which is my only resource for HP quotes at the moment, Hermione says you can't conjure good food not that you can't conjure food. You could conjure it, and maybe, it would taste good, but it wouldn't sustain you if you were starving. That is to say that you would taste the food and your mind would think that you ate, but it would just be an illusion because it wouldn't keep you alive longer.

Not really. Harry gets out of school early, and maybe, earlier that day, he was supposed to go to the ministry to sit is OWL examinations because Durmstrang requires it's students to do such things on their own time. Now, Nathan gets a vision of his brother being tortured at the Ministry where he knew his brother was supposed to be earlier in the day, and for some reason, Nathan finds himself unable to get in contact with Harry/his parents and there you go one canon 5th year storyline.

Except this time, Harry comes striding into the ministry like a boss. "Brother, if you want that curse to work then you have to mean it. Now, watch closely and I'll show you the proper technique."

15. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

Good point. Though, it seems a little odd that Molly would conjure food that she knew wouldn't actually work as food.

Entirely possible. I suppose Lucius would be the one to supply Voldemort with the information that Harry would be in London. However, where would Harry actually be during the DoM fiasco? In canon, Sirius was never actually at the Ministry (not initially, anyway), so that was never a problem.

Now this would be... awesome.

16. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Not really: It's sauce, not the main course. It still tastes good and flavors everything, which is all that sauce is supposed to do. It just doesn't have any real value in the sense of food or energy.

17. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    IIRC Minerva conjured some sandwiches in book 2 after they flew into a tree. Could be the house-elf thing but I think she used her wand, so...

Also, this is totally irrelevant.

18. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

If conjured food has no substance then imagine how awesome is conjured chocolate. And people still argue that wizards are not clearly superior to Muggles. ;)

Nah. It would be like this:

“Never used an Unforgivable Curse before, have you, boy?” she yelled. She had abandoned her baby voice now. “You need to mean them, Potter! You need to really want to cause pain – to enjoy it – righteous anger won’t hurt me for long – I’ll show -"

“Crucio!”

An unexpected spell hit Bellatrix from behind. This time she screamed in terrible pain. Moments later Nathan saw his brother stepping from the shadows.

"Do I mean it enough for you, Lestrange?" He asked in a cold voice.

19. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

No, not a good point. We had the Transfiguration discussion at least five times by now in as many threads, and the result is the same every time: There is no difference between a transfigured something, and a natural something. So either you can transfigure food or you can't, but it being no real food is not a good option. In any case, Hermione also says this
    which is pretty straightforward.

With the wand/sauce thing, I'm somehow always reminded of the Aguamenti spell. The difference between sauce and water coming out of your wand isn't all that great. The funny thing, though, is that Harry learns that spell in Charms. And if it's indeed a charm, then that neatly sidesteps the issue altogether, because Mrs. Weasley simply uses a sauce charm, which naturally isn't covered by exceptions concerning a law about transfiguration.

The only thing that remains open is what, exactly, a sauce charm is. Or for that matter, what a water charm is -- if the usual separation between Charms and Transfiguration is used, it won't be actual water or sauce. I'm not adverse to that -- both charms will have the properties of water and sauce (you can douse a fire with it, and make a meal tasty), but it won't be actual water and sauce.

20. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    With regards to McGonagall's sandwiches in CoS, they're not really a massive problem for Gamp's Exceptions.

There are two different types of conjuration. There's the creating-type and the summoning-type. Dumbledore, for example, looks like he conjures mead in HBP. But it's branded mead - he says it's Rosmerta's. So he didn't create it, he moved it.

Given that this is possible, it's entirely possible that McGonagall simply conjured the sandwiches from the kitchens and that she didn't create them.

Not open for further replies.