1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

And then two paragraphs later comes the bit about "good" food:
    The reason there's room for the "bad food" interpretation is that we're talking about an exception to Gamp's Law - and we don't even know what Gamp's Law is.

It could easily be along the lines of what you said: "There is no difference between a transfigured something, and a natural something." In that case, transfiguration of food could be possible, but it would be different in some way that makes it inedible in the long term.

My point is that even under Rowling's sometimes-clumsy care, there are highway-sized offramps that you can take to escape this sort of apparent plot hole. But God forbid she tries to explain Gamp's Law in Pottermore. She might just shoot herself in the food foot. :)

2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

How does that follow? You just combined two totally contradicting sentences. If there's "no difference", it can hardly be "different in some way".

This is so very easy that I don't see what the problem is. Gamp's Law has to state in some way that you can transfigure and conjure anything you like. And it's got five exceptions where that's impossible, and food is one of them. That's all.

3. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

No he didn't Sesc. He said the law is that, in general, there's "no difference" and that food is an exception to the law because it specifically is different in some way. In the context of his post, that's obviously what he meant and it does follow.

4. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

... that wasn't obvious to me at all o_O

But yeah, the post makes sense that way. Thanks for clarifying.

5. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

IIRC, Ollivander also conjures wine in GoF during the testing of the wands. I'd probably hazard a guess and say that he pulled the DD/MM summoning spell and merely summoned some real wine from a pre-existing bottle. It's pretty explicitly said by Hermione that you can't conjure food, but then again, alcohol isn't food.

It would be kind of amusing if you truly could conjure alcohol. It would be a great way to get drunk on the cheap (you'd only have to know the spell), especially if you were an underage student who stumbled upon the wine conjuring spell in a random book. But seeing as how the Three Broomsticks, Leaky Cauldron and Hog's Head all seem to have good business, I would say it is probably impossible to conjure alcohol along with food.

6. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    At this point I don't really care, but I've got to ask. Doesn't it seem much mortem likely that the exception to Gamp's law is a retcon?

7. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Conjuring it the first time would be easy. Doing with as you get drunker would be the tricky part.

8. calutron

calutron Unspeakable

So has anyone considered spell that get you drunk and drugged.

Cast a spell on yourself and your stoned for an hour, wouldn't that be awesome.

Arco Stonus - stoned for an hour

Boozeiphicus - a spell that is the equivalent of 60 ml of scotch

How does anyone get anything done in the wizarding world?

9. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Magic. /10char

10. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

God, I wish there was an "ignore thread" option.

11. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wish there was an "ignore retard" option, myself.

12. Styx0444

I wish this thread would get back on track, but, ya know... Does this thread even have a track anymore? :facepalm

Maybe the whole thing should just be locked until Santi updates, since most people lost even the pretense of being on topic something like three pages ago.

13. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Once this story is finished I'm going to read every page in this thread, just to get the percentage of how much of the posts are people just bitching.

14. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There are 4336 posts in this thread. How many of them could possibly be on track?

15. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

Besides, if this thread was locked the traffic on this site would see a drastic drop. This seems to be the most popular thread om DLP.

16. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You say that as if it's a bad thing...

17. Styx0444

Obviously not all of them, but I doubt it's gone more then a few posts without people actually discussing the story many times, either.

True, but that doesn't mean it should become the new spam thread.

18. Kalypso

Kalypso Second Year

I wonder what classes the Durmstrang delegation will attend while at Hogwarts.
    Only Karkarov and another teacher go to Hogwarts, how should they teach all the classes.

At the same time I can't imagine Durmstrang students attending Hogwarts classes.
    They have a different curriculum and surely wouldn't waste a whole year in their education.
    And it was hard for Harry to even step a foot in Hogwarts as his brother was injured. Something about secrecy or whatever, I don't think the board of governors would like foreign students in their classes.

19. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Protip: making a load of posts bemoaning the state of the thread just bloats it even more.

I actually don't think it's a retcon.

It's badly thought out, sure, in that the exceptions seem to be what they are for plot-based reasons rather than systematically sensible reasoning. Further, it doesn't make much sense given some of the magic we see e.g. transfiguring rocks and desks into edible animals.

But that doesn't mean it's a retcon. There are interviews from very early in the series' history where JKR talks about how certain things can't be created with magic. Further, the fact that the Weasleys are poor in the first place implies that from the very start JKR wanted magic to not be able to provide a family's needs.

20. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

This.

When did JKR state that conjured or transfigured animals are indistinguishable from natural animals? I always thought that conjured animals lacked any sort if nutritional value.

Not open for further replies.