1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nowhere, but AFAIK JKR doesn't provide any significant information on transfiguration/conjuration at all.

2. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

She doesn't have to:

1. Animals can be conjured/transfigured
    2. Food cannot be conjured/transfigured

C. Conjured/transfigured animals have no nutritional value.

Which raises another question: has a transfigured/conjured animal ever been 'killed' in canon? I know Cedric transfigured dogs, but they were torched by the dragon so there's no way of knowing what they were like on the inside...

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That was kinda my point, JB. About it being poorly thought through, that is. She's shown that it's possible to transfigure animals, and in word of god has said that transfiguration changes things physically, not magically. Then she said that it's impossible to make food with magic, which doesn't mesh with the other two, but obviously has been present from the start or else there wouldn't be poor wizards.

Therefore, badly thought out lol.

Edit for Blaise:

The thing is, Hermione doesn't say that it's possible to create food with magic with no nutritional value. She says you can't make food full stop.

And sure, there's some debate over the word "good". But if you recall the context, the trio had plenty of nutritional value already - it was Ron complaining about flavour that caused Hermione to explain that food can't be created.

If it was possible to transfigure food that seemed like food but had no nutritional value, it would make sense to use it for flavour.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  4. T3t

High Score:
    Unless it killed you to eat it.

But yeah, point.

5. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

It's possible transfigured animals turn back to what they were, once someone truly considers them food. When a butcher tries to slaughter a transfigured pig for example. This actually seems to work with everything we know from canon.

There are several Charms that react to the intent(ions) of people that didn't perform the spell, so maybe it can work that way with Transfiguration too. It's not like McGonagall considered the pig she made from her desk as food. Her intent was to create a pig as an example, not for it's nutritional value. You'd have to truly consider something as food though. You probably can't turn back a table into a rock by merely thinking "Oh, I'd like to eat that", but that might just actually happen if you're starved and delusional or something and it's the only thing in the room

This works if the dragon in GoF didn't consider the dog Cedric transfigured as food. Which is quite possible. Maybe it only eats fish or birds and simply saw the dog as nothing but a threat. It wanted to attack Cedric too, but that doesn't mean she saw him as food.

6. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

That's a pretty good point, and I've been curious about it myself. I don't think the other schools attended classes at Hogwarts, though I don't remember if it was ever mentioned in canon. At the same time, these schools didn't bring their own professors, and portkeying back and forth is really unlikely. So where and how will they be learning shit?

7. T3t

High Score:
    It's probably a plot hole on JKR's part. I'm sure Santi will think of an elegant, yet simple solution.

8. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:

In canon, Harry was a fourth year for GoF. The other school's prospective champions were all sixth/seventh. Why the hell would we have EVER seen them in any class?

Also, we know that Dumbledore said something about the champion getting a free pass on end of year exams. If a seventh year got chosen, would that offer extend to NEWTs?

9. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

We probably wouldn't have, but it still would have been a nice detail. Maybe a comment from some minor character in a higher year?

NEWTs are mostly optional to begin with, if I remember correctly, but since it's such an important test, they may have to take it at the ministry later on. Then again, Dumbledore said it, and Dumbledore knew that only 6th and 7th years would get in. So it's entirely possible that in the case of the champion, they would just automatically get a pass.

10. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

This has probably already been mentioned, but damned if I'm going to read all the way through this thread to find out for sure.

Chapter 12 part 3/3:

Chapter 13:
    The point obviously being that in Chapter 12 it sounds like Nathan has already received a Firebolt and in Chapter 13 he appears to be hoping he will get one that never arrives.

I was just doing a full re-read after recommending the story to someone else and noticed that. There's a lot more than I realized here than there is on fanfiction.net.

A more minor thing I noticed was that when Harry is first introducing Calypso to Sirius at the Quidditch match Harry never seems to tell Calypso who Sirius is after he tells her that he isn't father / his father couldn't make it. On a second reading I realized that the line including something like "...and Harry quickly explained before switching languages..." could be read so as to assume that he explained who Sirius was, but I wasn't clear on that at first glance.

Awesome story -- and just as much fun on the... fourth? read as it was on the first. You're good enough to write professionally.

11. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

IIRC, Santi said that the letter, where the Firebolt is mentioned, was not intended to be in the story, since it was an earlier idea that he didn't like, or something.

So no, Nathan doesn't have Firebolt.

12. syed

syed Supermod

If nathan does not have a international class racing broom, will Harry force Nathan to use parseltongue.

13. A Curious Stranger

A Curious Stranger Second Year

What? How are those two things related? What the hell does Nathan not having a Firebolt have to do with Harry forcing Nathan to use a language he despises? Are you trying to go with an idea that Harry will give Nathan his Firebolt if Nathan uses parseltongue? Conveniently forgetting that the broom is less than worthless right now since it's nowhere near the completely enchanted form it's sold at?

14. Nargles

Nargles Seventh Year

[​IMG]

15. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I'd like to point out again that quoting syed defeats the fucking purpose of me having him on ignore in order not to read the dumb shit.

That said, this sentence has exactly as much sense as some things spambots sprouts. We ban spambots. It's time to treat syed as one.

16. Sirius Issues

Sirius Issues First Year

Krum was seen enough in the Library in cannon. If Harry is around Hogwarts will he get access to the restricted section? Different set of book for him to learn from and all that.

Come to think of it after first or second year we haven't seen Harry in many classes and it seems that most of what he is doing is self taught. Also as it is sixth and seventh years, won't some of the contingent actually finished certain classes? Surely someone in the upper years will have tested out of a class and thus there will be one less for him or her to learn from.

17. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

So then whatever is conjured/transfigured (C/T) is "edible," yet not food?

I guess that meshes well enough with how I pictured C/T animals being composed. Yes, they're physical objects as opposed to magical, but calling a C/T cow's muscle "meat" is like calling the filling within a time-turner "sand."

I honestly don't know why this hasn't replaced Captain Piccard's facepalm.

This is why I Nelson-laugh irl everytime the Ignore function is foiled. What a stupid feature.

Besides, the dumb posts aren't even a fraction as annoying as the retarded tags.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  18. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

It just doesn't make sense for the top forty students to go without a year of learning from teachers. Only the Highmaster and his assistant are going, so how could they possibly cover for the various experts that handle the subjects at Durmstrang? Even with unlimited access to the Hogwarts library (which is unlikely, considering their rivalry), how can the students match the education they might receive from the professors?

If I was a parent of one of these 'top' students, I might forbid my child from participating. I'd rather they get a solid year of education from their professors rather than just self study (especially if I still have to pay the same tuition.) I remember this thread talking about the quality of competitor that Harry would be competing against - maybe this is why it's so spotty. The best students are more concerned with furthering their abilities/skills than 1000 galleons.

19. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

How is it a plot hole? It's not explained because it's not important at all. In canon, there's an age line and all the schools know about it. Ergo, they bring older students (6th and 7th years). There's nothing in canon to suggest the schools have substantially different curriculums. Thus the foreign students can easily share classes with the Hogwarts 6th/7th years. We don't hear about it because Harry's a 4th year and the story is about him.

No plot hole in sight. Believe it or not, every little thing that isn't spelled out doesn't mean it's a plot hole.

20. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    The thing about what Hermione said that doesn't make sense to me, is that ok, she said you can't transfigure food. But what does she mean food, exactly? Food according to who? Humans only? I mean, most everything can be eaten by some kind of animal.
    Even if magic somehow makes it's laws around human appetites, the variety of things that can be counted as "food" in lack of a better meal is extremely big. Plants are food too, are they not? I mean, can a wizard conjure them, or for example honey?
    If the change in Transfiguration is physical, does that mean that a rock transfigured into an apple actually has the substance of the apple, or is it just a rock with the shape and some physical properties of an apple?
    This all is very confusing, because it wasn't really thought out.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
Not open for further replies.