1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Question for a Naruto fic...

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Starwind, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

I thought this would be the best place to post it.

Idea I've been toying around with, I have about 2,500 words written already for a story, but say Naruto used the Nine-Tails chakra will in the village before the Mizuki arc to do something good with, would the village act badly towards him, or because the deed he did was helpful to the village, would they ignore it in favor of that? Of course it can only be speculation because no one else is Kishi, but I'd like a few opinions if people don't mind.

2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

It depends on a few circumstances, mostly on how the populace at large finds out about it and what they know about the situation. There would very likely be a huge panic (and possibly riots) if he just up and went 6+ tails in the middle of the village, no matter the reason. On the other hand, if he visibly and publicly was defending someone else from attack, it would likely be met with a neutral-to-positive response.

In the end, the reason the village at large ostracizes him is purely out of fear of the Kyuubi. The slightest inclination that it is getting free will be addressed with extreme prejudice. If he demonstrates control over the fox though, it would likely be fine after the initial shock.

I could see it going either way, and as an author you have tools available to make it whichever you prefer. There's plenty of people able to influence, if not outright control, public opinion, especially once the rumor mill gets going. A careful word or three could incite a riot against or start a parade for the kid.

3. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

If he control the fox at that point I would stop reading. What you could do was have him snap and go full out on the guy who tried doing something wrong, and be able to subdue the kyubi before he turned to atack random people.

The only away I can see that happening however, is the Hokage showing up and trying to reason with him. Not only he is the only one Naruto respects, but the one most likely to defend against any stray damage caused by enraged Naruto.

4. Agayek

I meant less he controls the fox and more he points it in the right direction, if you get the difference. We already know it's possible, since he managed it against Haku just fine. A similar event would not carry too severe negative repercussions.

Essentially, if he can demonstrate that he is not a danger, even when drawing on the Kyuubi's power, then the response is likely to be fairly positive. Otherwise, it could incite a full on lynching.

5. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You could easily have Naruto kill the guy (maybe another Kumo attempt at kidnapping someone so that it's not a Konoha citizen?) then have the Hokage plant people to whisper good things about him to the general populace. He defended a valuable clan member and defeated a veteran shinobi from another nation. He put his life on the line to protect Konoha. Things like that would work well for a village that would by necessity venerate its soldiers, and it makes Naruto a part of the village, rather than an outsider.

Besides, if the leader of any nation comes out and states his opinion in straight terms there are going to be some people out there who will disagree with him just to spite him.

Of course you'd need a plot to go on from there, but it's an interesting start.

6. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

May aswell say what the idea for the first chapter was, as it won't be a secret a soon as I post it.

Basically a foreign group of shinobi attack the academy hoping to wipe out the most promising group of graduates in a while after reciving intel- I'm unsure on which village at the moment, but I'm thinking either Kiri or Iwa as Kiri is brutal enough and Iwa might want some revenge.

The reason other ninjas take a while to get there is because it's either on the training grounds for some reason, or a field trip, or something of the likes, so it will take a good couple of minutes for the Hokage to get there.

In that time the students and teachers are quickly dispatched with one of the people there that Naruto is fairly close to being murdered in front of him, causing him to snap and lash out, and I think Naruto in Kyubi mode (most likely the initial one) is enough to take out a couple of Chunin - I might be wrong though.

:)

7. Agayek

Naruto using the same bit he did against Haku would be more than sufficient to take out a handful of Chuunin. The "oh shit" factor of one of their squishy, helpless targets erupting with as much, if not more, power as most Jounin would provide more than enough shock and awe to let him overwhelm his targets.

In a prolonged fight, it certainly wouldn't work, but as a rage-fueled counterattack, I could see it working.

8. nath1607

nath1607 Groundskeeper

9. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

I'm not talking about a slight enhanced rage, I meant malicious, vicousness...

10. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I would think the Hokage would have people whispering Naruto's praises when he made the announcement. Crowds are swayed by initial reactions from peers.

11. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Going by my own understanding of canon, people hate the fox. It's not even fear, though that is a part of it. Like any trauma, the wounds extend over time. If Naruto showed hints of the fox in his actions or in his chakra, there is no way it would go positively for him.

If he caused damage, then the fox is back and its time to kill or exile it. If he helped the village, then the container is unstable and kill/exile. People didn't like Naruto when he was a pretty fun kid on the basis of a possible, but unlikely resurgence of a genocidal alter-ego, and any hint of that alter-ego would inspire panic and fear.

In canon, Naruto is established as a guy more powerful than anyone else in the village, hands-down, before he is truly accepted. Only once he is that capable, the people believe he can contain Kyuubi. This was also helped along by a couple years without the nuclear boy sitting around your highly flammable village. If you put an idiot kid like Naruto, who by all acounts was an annoying prick that everybody at least disliked, into a situation like that, I just can't see a positive outcome.

12. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

See, I just cannot take anyone seriously who mentions exile with a straight face.

Really. Just think about it for a minute.

13. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Fixed.

The people in the village are not as stupid as fanon seem to portray most of the times. Naruto used Kyuubi's chakra during the Chunin Exams, and while it came as a surprise, it wasn't exactly a "Oh no, the fox is coming out, kill the kid now!" In fact, I'm pretty sure he'd have to use it again to summon Gamabunta and people were fine with it because either they knew it was under control or they can't even sense this chakra.

Anyways, in response to OP, if Naruto used Kyuubi's power to do good, it shouldn't really be looked at in a negative light by the majority of the civilian, and none in the eyes of the shinobi. If he damages parts of the village though, that may be a different story. But really, it could go however you want it as an author.

14. The Berkeley Hunt

No, if we went by fanon there'd be yearly beatings and ninja's secretly joining in etc, etc. And yes, exile might not be a great idea, but I was thinking along the lines of exile with Jiraiya, or somewhere under Konoha control outside of Konoha. Not that hard to get to.

The main difference is that he proves himself. Most people didn't like him because he was an annoying bastard, and when that kid has that kind of power available, people will get very nervous even outside of Kyuubi. And seriously, if your ninja aren't even a little concerned about possible misuse of power there, for shame.

If used in the manner of the exams, against another Jinchuuriki, then its a lot more acceptable, but if against a ninja or in the village proper when not at war, there'd be a more negative reaction. In your story, you can spin it however, obviously, but thats how it'd be. tragicmat1, can you say that there would just be no negative opinion at all by ninja of a child with Kyuubi level power actively using it. If anything, what you've get here is your own fanon effecting your thinking.

15. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You do remember that this is a world where child soldiers are not only common but practically the norm, right? I mean, Itachi was 13 when he became a captain in ANBU. Kakashi was a Jounin by that age too. So extremely powerful children aren't exactly unknown to the village. It's just that the Kyuubi struck at the heart of Konoha, so the communal wounds of that attack haven't really had time to heal.

Canon Naruto does that through his good deeds and the likes, in this scenario he has simultaneously proven himself loyal to Konoha (even under the influence of the Kyuubi) and willing to risk his own life to defend others. In a world where hired assassins are the primary source of income for a village, I can't really see them reacting too badly.

16. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Thanks for that, it's helped a lot. :)

A question that came up for me while writing the scene in which he goes into the nine-tails mode, I've looked on the fansites/databook sites and they say the rage helps him draw upon the Kyubi, so with a Naruto with no bonds, and more intune with his darker side before he was accepted by anyone, does anyone think he would have an easier time getting the nine-tails chakra working?

Thanks...

17. The Berkeley Hunt

The problem is the timing - Itachi and Kakashi, two eminent examples of children with powers were fucking badass at young ages, but more importantly they had control. Naruto before Team 7 is little more than an untrained idiot. He is an unknown quantity, a wildcard able to power through some serious shit. And a dickhead child that nobody trusts. Yes I think the ninja village would have a problem with that.

To answer JNottle, Naruto pre control lessons really only activates Kyuubi chakra when he really, really needs it. Making him have an 'easier' time might be appropriate, but only when he is in a very tough battle or when ambushed etc, but not when just running around or training. Making it an at will thing is pretty OP.

18. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If shinobi from another Great Nation attacked a class full of the children of the most prominent citizens of Konoha, you're talking war. It was one thing for Sarutobi to move to appease Kumo after they tried to kidnap Hinata, but an attempt on ALL of the clan heads children...you'd have to have the perpertrators remain anonymous in this case, and I can't see that lasting all too long if Konoha put all their effort into finding out who was responsible.

Also, Agayek, a strike like this wouldn't be carried out by Chuunin. I'm thinking a few of the more powerful Jounin of whatever village was behind it. Naruto could probably catch one or even two off guard, but after that the survivors are going to be playing keep-away with him. He'd be able to fully occupy their attentions until the first response nailed them, though.

19. PomMan

PomMan High Inquisitor

Small problem though, wise tomato. It would be (most likely) a group of no more then three shinobi, none of them exeptionally strong, however strong enough to deal with two chunin and kill a bunch of kids. That way, if they were caught in the act, Iwa/Kiri could then deny their own involvement and not run the risk of loss of one of their own shinobi who was actually powerful. It woukd be a way to get around all possibility of war and, if they were not caught, who cares, it's done.

By the way, I don't think Kiri would do that with the civil war going on.

20. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, he probably would have easier access to the Fox's chakra, but the thing is that while rage helps him draw on the power, it also tends to mean his self-control goes out the window. Worst-case, he could end up like Gaara was back during the Chunin Exams.