1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    In the HP&BWL-verse we have no indication of magical power. The only thing we see that makes spells "stronger" is focus.

2. false morality

false morality First Year

I really hope this story involves Harry's travels around the world looking for obscure magic, I do however feel that this would make this story's word length humongous.

---------- Post automerged at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

Syed should just be this forums dirty little secret, out of sight out of mind. If we do this hopefully someone as awful as Syed will cease to troll this forum. lol.

3. elflorddobby

elflorddobby Second Year

Yes Hw597 I agree with all off your points, especially that he won't start measuring up to their level just becuse he turns 17. I believe it more likely, that in his late 20s he ill start approacting DD,GG, and TRs level in magic, and he won't equal even one off them till he is about 35 or something along the lines of that age.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  4. false morality

I wonder what style Harry will prefer using, direct magic or exotic and unknown spells, any ideas for what you guys would prefer he use?

5. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

Harry currently doesn't really have access to any exotic/unknown spells... I doubt the Potter library would have anything unusual and the Durmstrang library would be browsable by any student. Maybe the Black library, but considering how many Blacks there were (JKR's Black family tapestry), I doubt there are many 'unknowns'. He hasn't exactly had a huge amount of time to go through (or even browse) it as of yet.

I'm finding this debate on power/skill kind of funny, as if 'skill' is something so arbitrarily measured. Someone pointed out that Canon mentioned Dumbledore as being more skillful than Dumbledore, but who do you suppose was better at enchanting or Dark Arts? When fighting one would draw skills from multiple magical disciplines - and while you may be better in a couple areas, that doesn't mean you'd win. For example, how would talent in Alchemy contribute to winning a duel?

6. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

You know, that's a very good question. I mean, Dumbledore is pretty badass, but Dumbledore is at least as incredible in his own right. On one hand, Dumbledore quickly defeated and incapacitated several aurors in about a second, but Dumbledore fought extremely well against Voldemort in the atrium battle in the ministry. Both wizards are pretty damn incredible, but I think that Dumbledore comes out on top, if only by a hair.

7. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

Hmm, my bad - 'Dumbledore more skillful than Grindlewald'... though in a Dumbledore vs Dumbledore duel, I'd go with 1940s-era Dumbledore coming out on top. He seems to have more of an edge than 90s Dumbledore; might just be the opponent though, some kind of 'woman scorned' fury making itself known.

8. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

And yet they're both nothing compared to Dumbledore. The one who likes goats, not socks. ;)

About Harry abilities. He will obviously not be as powerful as Albus, Gellert or Tom till he is a little older - maybe in his late twenties. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that in his seventh year he will be capable of defending any other wizard, though some will give him more challenge than others.

9. false morality

I meant some obscure spells he might find on his travels after he graduates. Dumbledore doesn't have shit on Dumbledore.

10. Crash

Crash Fourth Year

I strongly disagree. All of the aforementioned wizards are immensely skilled/powerful/whatever, as well as experienced and knowledgeable. Harry having had however many years of study and experience with magic at age 29, even continuously training, would not be equal to even Voldemort's roughly 60-80 (whatever it is in Potter Law).

Let's look at it in the context of Voldemort v Dumbledore. It took Voldemort multiple decades to become on Dumbledore's level. I don't think that just because Harry goes to a different school or because he studies different magic on his own that he'll be there in that much time.

Keep in mind that Voldemort travelled and studied/practiced magic for much of that time, and gained a) knowledge and b) experience.

I'd say it'd take him more time.

11. false morality

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  12. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I actually think of Voldemort. Going by few things we know about his youth from the canon he was roughly in his early thirties when he came back to Britain. This means that he felt powerful enough to start making his first movies and opposing Albus by that time.

13. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

To be honest, Harry is smart enough to never want to find out if he can last more than a sec against Voldemort. I see his fights against him go similary to cannon-Harry 3rd task. Outclassed(yet not as much as in the books) and trying his hardest to GTFO.

Of course, Harry could still make a hell of a trap for Voldemort, get Dumbledor to keep him busy, and let his brother snipe the dark lord from afar.

14. EinStern

EinStern Seventh Year

40. /nitpick

Retarded "point" is retarded.

What, you don't think that Voldemort and Dumbledore (and Grindlewald for that matter) are prodigies? Are you retarded or something?

15. Crash

Crash Fourth Year

So are posts.

Edit: I'm out.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  16. false morality

I'm sorry......

---------- Post automerged at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

I know they are, but that's why i'm saying that Harry will be up there soon with aid from the resources he has and his ingenious, sorry if it came out wrong.

17. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

This is an awesome mistake.

18. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

Is Voldemort the one behind some of those shitty 1970s disaster films? Earthquake, for instance? :awesome

19. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

The-Film-That-Must-Not-Be-Named?

20. false morality

Ugh its obviously The-You-Know-What, like come on. lol

Not open for further replies.