1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I don't think Harry would put himself in a position of certain death to save Nathan, but I do think he might, depending on how pissed he was at that point in time, risk his life to save Nathan.

2. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It's difficult for me to answer this without conflating Harry's love for his brother with my own love for my siblings.

I think that Harry would storm the nine circles of hell for his brother with curses on his lips and murder on his mind. Danger be damned.

Would Harry straight up swap his life for his brother's, not in the heat of the moment, and given time to clinically think it over? Difficult to call, but I'd say yes. Calypso would do her best to stop him. Albus would probably give him a push.

3. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

For now maybe.

In the future I can definitely see this changing.

4. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wow, a topic in this thread that's actually interesting.

I'll disagree with Yak entirely. Harry would risk his life for Nathan, no problem at all. But he would never willingly swap his life for his own, be it in the heat of the moment, or clinically thought out. He would do his utmost best in every other respect however.

I also disagree with DD giving him a push. Not the kind of person I envision him to be.

5. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

You only disagreed with some of it.

This really is a difficult call to make. I think that I'd give my life for my brothers, no matter how long it may have been since I saw them, or what arguments we may have had. It's difficult not to map that onto Harry and Nathan. I could talk about how close Harry and Nathan were pre-Hogwarts, but I can't see any solid details that we could use to argue our points, anyway.

It's a gut guess on my part.

I'm not a big fan of Albus in this fic.

6. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Harry would not 'trade' his life for Nathan's, unless he had a plan to get out of dying.

7. false morality

false morality First Year

I don't believe that Harry would, simply because by the time he will most likely be put in that situation we will probably see drastic changes to his character.

I just don't see DD in this story to be that kind of person, lets not forget he loves harry like a grandson.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  8. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

Harry cares for his brother, of course - but he's not the completely selfless person that some people seem to believe him to be. And even were he to say something like 'I would step in front of an Avada Kadavra for my brother', making that proclamation and believing it at the time & actually going through with it are two very different things.

I know that in real life, there are cases where people will back out of denoting organs to family members at the last minute. They do of course have multiple motivations behind it, but it can be boiled down to them valuing their own quality of life more & being unable to sacrifice that for the other person.

Harry seems to love his life very much, and while he may fight for his brother (in circumstances that involve lethal danger) I don't know that he'd sacrifice himself for him. Maybe he'd sacrifice himself for some greater goal, but just to save his brother's life? Not so sure that he'd do it when the cards are laid down.

9. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    That's just it. This Harry gives me the vibe that he puts his brother above a greater goal. Excuse me for the comparison to a manga, but he reminds me of Itachi Uchiha in that respect. In more than that, actually. I can see quite a few parallels and possibilities.
    But that's just me. I may be seeing things very differently than how Santi wanted readers to.

10. elflorddobby

elflorddobby Second Year

I think you may have read double agent, and made comparisons to this story.

11. Kalypso

Kalypso Second Year

Harry is quite annoyed with his brother more and more often and because of some character flaws of Nathan like his laziness, narrow-mindedness and what not.
    At the moment he is merely irritated and still loves Nathan very much, maybe even enough to risk himself for him.

But I feel that this is a fine line and can shift very easily to Harry resenting his brother, if Nathan maybe steals him the show again as fourth champion or even wins the tournament - imagine what Harry would do in this case, he's completely obsessed with winning this tournament.

After some drastic fight between the brothers I can easily see Harry getting quite mad and dark and very un-self-sacrificing.

12. elflorddobby

elflorddobby Second Year

Doubt that would cause him to become mad, dark or un-selfsacrificing, maybe just spiteful towards Nathan, or maybe even everyone who starts to support him, i.e: his parents, hogwarts population after the first task, sirius, maybe even DD himself.

13. The Arid Legion

The Arid Legion Professor

Would Harry trade his life for Nathan's? I honestly don't think so. He's protective of him to be sure, and he'd probably go to hell and back to save him from anything but if it came down to a straight 'Either he dies or you do' situation, then no.

I've got 50 bucks on The Santi. Any takers?

14. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

....I now want to see Harry 'kill his family and mind rape his little brother solely to certify his position as the king of all psychotic assholes'.

15. false morality

I've got 50 bucks on The Santi. Any takers?[/QUOTE]

This just made me so sad. :(

16. The Santi

The Santi Professor

I'll take that bet. Just updated and made myself 50 bucks.

:awesome

17. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

Everybody wins :D

18. false morality

My day just got better.
    :nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan:

19. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You know what would have made my day better, false morality?

If you fucking stopped using the nyancat smiley.

You know what else would have made my day better?

If I had read this thread.

But I felt the need to congratulate Santi on one of the best bits that he's churned out in a while.

So here's your congratulations, Santi.

http://imgur.com/u68g7

I'm going to regret posting here.

20. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The update in itself was good, however I don't know how I felt about the fight scene. I had to go through and read it twice to pick up all of the pertinent information. I don't know if it was because I was reading it too quickly, or if it could of been written a little clearer.

This paragraph probably best exemplifies what I am trying to put across. The wording of the first part makes the description of how the spells effected their opponents seem convoluted, especially with the usage of "so much as". Also have issue with the usage of "bad luck" wouldn't it be "bad aim"?

Secondly, the way you refer to the opponents is also confusing. "The first, second and third attacker", and then some dark skinned people. I guess it does accentuate the confusion surrounding the attack. But I felt as if I had no real idea of whether they'd managed to dispatch an attacker or not, at least until the very end when it was clear that Harry/Calypso/Victor had won.

Maybe some sort of internal dialogue from Harry noting how many have been put down, or how many left to worry about? Nothing too obvious, but just some indication of how the fight is going for them. We knew they took out 2 with the initial salvo, but it became unclear after that. I mean, does flinging someone into some trees take them out? Or can they recover from that. Harry seemed to recover from it. (though he clearly is a special case)

I don't know, it just seemed less than it could of been to me. However, I also have to admit that I probably know less about grammar etc than most on this forum. Not sure if these are valid complaints, just my first impressions on the chapter.

I also want to put it out there, that the rest of it was brilliant. I particularly enjoyed the visit from Fawkes, though I am unsure of what exactly the purpose of it was. Seemed quite random, but I expect it will make more sense later on.

Again, more interesting conversations Calypso has with her father. Makes me wonder if you're setting up a split between those two. Seems to me that it is slowly getting closer and closer to that. Also begs the question as to how Harry will deal with the obvious secrets kept between the two of them.

Definitely cannot wait for more, hope that updates continue ahead of schedule. :p

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
Not open for further replies.