1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    o_O

Part of the whole specialness of the Boy Who Lived is that somehow he blocked the Killing Curse (which we know was Lily, but most people do not).

2. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Blocked? I always thought this was about his survival of the Killing Curse. Meaning he didn't block it with magic shield, but was directly hit and stayed alive after it.

EDIT: Though, I forgot that it rebounded and hit Voldemort too. So, yeah, you can say he somehow blocked and redirected it.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  3. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Exactly. Some magic blocked it. It hit him but it didn't take effect.

4. SorrySight

SorrySight First Year

I'm pretty sure the act of blocking is a magic shield such as protego stopping a curse from striking. Not a miraculous survival after being hit.

5. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

You're replying to a post I made before the latest update from Santi where that info was revealed. The new Ch 15 2/2 seems to back me up somewhat anyway. It certainly emphasises the break between Calypso and her father.

Was it determined that Romulus was the source of the leak? Romulus is playing his cards very close to his chest. The leak could have as easily come from Kira. Romulus was given the info by Calypso without the others being aware of it. Kira could have obtained the info similarly from Krum. Just because Calypso believes that Romulus is the only outsider who knew about the testing grounds doesn't necessarily make it true.

They were?

That's an insightful observation. I knew that something was strange about Calypso's behaviour [different to my expectations] as revealed in her conversation with her father, but I hadn't worked out what it was yet. I think you've hit the nail on the head.

edit: @Santi

6. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Well, this is mostly semantics. Call it what you will: there was a piece of magic that stopped the Killing Curse, which is supposed to be impossible.

(That said, to engage in the semantics as an aside, blocking is definitely distinct from shielding. People are said to "parry" spells; in CoS they were shown how to block (incompetently, but nonetheless it exists) but didn't know the shield charm until GoF; we've seen spells being blocked before they are fully formed e.g. Snape vs. Harry at the end of HBP.)

7. Celestin

If you put it that way. But for me "unblockable" is only about stopping the flying spell, not its effect one you.

8. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Like I say, this is mostly a matter of categorisation, not really relevant. Whether or not Lily's unintentional protective magic against the Killing Curse should be called blocking or something else, it's still a magical defence. We're specifically told that there is no magical counter. Not just "it can't be blocked" or "can't be shielded" but "no magic, at all, can defend you from it".

9. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

In a way, that means Harry never was the Boy-Who-Lived at that age, because he never lived through the effects of the spell. Strictly speaking, he was the Boy-Who-Blocked-The-Unblockable. He only truly became the Boy-Who-Lived when he survived his own death after actually being hit and killed by the curse.

10. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Or rather, the Boy-Whose-Mother-Blocked-The-Unforgivable-In-A-Magical-One-Off-That-Couldn't-Be-Replicated.

11. Expelliarmus

Expelliarmus Third Year

I am very happy to see that when I returned to this forum (I've been away for a little vacation), there has been a update of the Santi's great fic. Thank you for imparting your infallible wisdom, wise and noble leader.

As for the latter part of chapter 15, I must confess that I am pleasantly surprised to see a real fight, without the own sweeteners there is in a practical duel during a Dark Arts class.

However, since we could see Harry conjured a curse cruciatus on a frog, was logical that Harry used that same curse on a person in a situation of urgent need. Nevertheless, Santi surprised me to cause this situation just a few weeks before he leave for Hogwarts.

As for the great discussion that Calypso has had with his father, I think she is considering more what she wants (which can be considered selfish, but that obviously includes Harry) that his father has planned for "the greater good of the Rosier family", without neglecting the probable intention of Romulus wants his daughter away in their environment because he is realizing that their former Dark Lord is about to resurface, by the changes that are happening in his Dark Mark.

However, I think Kira was the real person who blew the location of where her boyfriend and his friends were practicing the complex wards.

As for the appearance of Fawkes, I have the suspicion that Dumbledore, as he know that Harry accompany the Durmstrang's delegation during their stay at Hogwarts, he'd be very suspicious Karkaroff. Therefore, would not surprise me that he sent his phoenix to watch Nathan as were sending a letter to his brother, that Fawkes who send out, and incidentally also have a fair description of Calypso Rosier (I do not think wrong if the marriage Potter, and Lily in particular, ask for help from Dumbledore to learn more about his son's girlfriend).

12. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

On paper, it's a poor combat spell against a group of enemies, for most of the reasons you describe. You can argue that it was effective against this particular group of enemies, though, for purely psychological reasons.

Harry and Calypso using the Cruciatus intimidated the hell out of the kids who were still conscious. As a culturally significant Unforgivable curse, it probably made them realize that this was no mere schoolhouse brawl, but serious "big boy" business they were getting into. It distracted them for just a moment, and that was all that was needed to turn the tide of the fight.

I would not expect the Cruciatus to have nearly the same effect against, say, a coordinated group of Death Eaters. Nor would it have worked in this fight if there were other people facing off against Harry and Calypso, who were able to keep their heads and attack while Harry/Calypso were distracted.

If Santi wants to, he could make a subtle alteration to the scene, and have Harry consciously notice or even anticipate the psychological effect. It's not a big deal, though, IMO.

13. Celestin

One thing I noticed:

Maybe "at his impressive command" would be better.

14. thebrute7

thebrute7 High Inquisitor

Honestly, as far as the Cruciatus goes, we know only that is considered unforgivable in Wizarding Britain. We have no idea what the laws are like outside of this one little section of the Wizarding World, so as far as we know the curses may not even be illegal wherever Durmstrang is.

Without Santi telling us that the Unforgivables are unforgivable everywhere we have to remember that not all wizarding areas are going to follow the lead of Wizarding Britain.

15. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

Santi stills calls them Unforgivables in his fic. I doubt they'd be called that way if they were generally accepted.

16. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

It's third person from Harry's perspective mianly, Harry who grew up with them called the Unforgivables? Obviously they're going to remain named as such.

17. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I meant that the intent behind a Dark Cutting Curse is, in this story, still to cut. Whereas the intent behind the Cruciatus curse is to cause pain. Therefore while you could make the argument that Quirrelmort made early on about using a dark cutting curse to cut your way free from a net, etc., there is no use for the Cruciatus other than to cause pain.

My intention was to make the point that the Cruciatus curse is therefore in a different class of (worse/more) dark curses than things for which another use can be found. You seem to have read it as me saying that it was less dark for some reason, for which I blame my rushed wording, when I meant to imply the exact opposite. It is not dark in the same way that a dark cutting is -- it is much worse.

18. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

That makes much more sense. Certainly that's a position that some characters espouse, most notably Calypso and Quirrelmort.

Although I think it's questionable how accurate that is, given that it's Quirrelmort saying so, and his wants Harry to become a DE. Likewise Calypso could easily have a flawed understanding of the deeper mechanics and motives behind "dark" curses, given that she's a kid and has been raised to think one way.

Like everything, multiple possibilites exist. :cool:

19. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Impossible... right up until Harry proves otherwise by deflecting it. Having the kind of mental focus needed to stare down and overpower a Killing Curse would make him a legend and cement his infamy.

20. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I agree that it's questionable how accurate that account of things is and there are likely several schools of thought.

However there must be some truth to it given that when Harry started putting the 'correct' intent behind his spells he began to show real success. I think the first one was when he was trying to enlarge a desk and it kept blowing up until Quirrelmort told him to envision getting larger as he cast the spell, etc.

What I really wonder though is if you can get similar results from a single spell while having different intents behind it. The Dark Cutting Curse is a good example. When Harry first began casting it he probably still had the to cut intent behind it. But what if he started using a more sinister intent when he cast it, such as cause pain. Would the curse still work? Work differently? Not change? Food for thought.

I'd be curious to see schools of thought other than Voldemort's on this, but since no one else was helping Harry at Hogwarts we missed out on some of those. Pity!

Not open for further replies.