1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

Snape's definitely not blocking the spell, just disrupting the incantation. Otherwise, why else would rowling cut off the incantation like "Cruc--". It's not like Harry didn't completely say Crucio every time, in fact with my usual understanding of how incantations are said (not very slowly), it would be quite hard to stop someone from saying Crucio. So my thought is, he probably blocked Harry from completing the wand-movement and rowling cut off the speech to emphasize that.

2. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Thanks Palver.

Basically, I took my idea of the counter-curses from that scene in HBP, which is why I wanted to see it. I sort of assumed that whenever Harry was halfway through the incantation and stopped, it meant that Snape had applied the counter to the spell, rendering it useless unless you started the wand movement again. I first show this happening in Chapter 2 during a Harry/Quirrell duel.

As I'm not going to change my interpretation of counter-curses (if it can be countered, it can be shielded against or deflected given enough skill) the Cruciatus, unlike the Killing Curse, can be blocked.

Future chapters will take that into account. Do point out if I screw that up.

Thanks everybody.

3. Sigurd

Sigurd DA Member

It's happened before, but never on such an awaited cliffhanger. Fuck that guy.

4. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Pretty bored with Romulus's character, if I'm honest. His interaction's are reminding me too much of bad manipulative!Dumbledore. It's like the whole world owes him something (even if they don't know it), and he's got just enough blackmail material on everyone that matters to where he seems omnipresent and all controlling. His actions seem to be secretive, but they are really too plain-faced.

Also, the way Harry used Crucio was a bit too plain. Sure, he had enough anger, but 'spitting' the curse out seems fairly bland and overused.

Not a big fan on the warding stuff either. Between the past two chapters, it's been a pretty big info dump, and while I'm sure you'll make use of it frequently in later chapters, and eventually segue into even more advanced magics, it seems mostly extraneous right now. I think the story is focusing too much on the magic, and not enough on the world around him. Durmstrang is a rarely used locale, I think it should be shown a bit more, as well as more character interactions.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's clearly a third option in the parrying debate that no one seems to be considering:

Spells aren't a matter of "say the incantation, then the spell happens" but rather the spell exists before the incantation is finished. The end of the incantation signals the completion of the spell, not its beginning.

This resolves nicely the idea that spells can be parried/blocked before the incantation is finished.

6. Elelith

Elelith Squib

[FONT=&quot]I won't comment on the Crucio spell as it has been done exhaustively, but this part made me wonder:

Why is she asking the guy she's been hexing so much for the money? I mean, wouldn't it be less embarrassing to ask Harry or even Krum for that matter (since I assume the port key was for the World Cup.)

And if she had to ask the Malfoys, why not Lucius or Narcissa? (How is she a cousin to Draco again? I know it was discussed previously but I don't have the courage to dredge through 234 pages of posts again.)
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Oh and another point: Romulus' confusing behaviour (I hope it’s all part of Santi’s deep plot.) He chuckles to himself about Harry being an interesting young man whenever he's alone, but then insults him to Calypso's face (half-blood). [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Also, closing all his support for Calypso the previous Summer does not usually lead to an adoring daughter.

Those are the reasons why I think Romulus is purposely creating a distance between himself and Calypso. Perhaps so his daughter's safe
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot](off with the Potters) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]once the Dark Lord pops out, and he himself has immunity with all he's recorded on Harry. At least... it made sense a few hours ago.[/FONT]

7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd say it's a matter of pride. Though you do bring up a good point in regards to why she did not ask Lucius or Narcissa. However, we don't know the specifics of the situation, so anything is conjecture really.

8. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Calypso is peaceable with Krum, but I wouldn't really call them friends yet. She's in something of a rivalry [albeit a friendly one] with Harry. She values his opinion of her. I don't think she's ready to appear weak in front of him yet. Begging for money is weakness.

Calypso doesn't care if Draco views her in a negative light. Also, he is family. Turning to family for funds is not unusual. I wonder what his help cost her?

Narcissa's mother was Druella Black [nee Rosier]. I'm not sure if it's explicitly mentioned in this fic how Druella Rosier relates to Evan, Romulus, and Calypso. Perhaps she was Romulus' sister or aunt.

9. SorrySight

SorrySight First Year

Turning to family for funds may not be unusual, but I can't see the Malfoy family lending money to a distant relative they've been on poor terms with since Calypso's etiquette lessons. Unless she just bullied Draco and hid Romulus' disfavour.

Now I'm going to take a moment to display my ignorance again; has there been a discussion about legilimency?

I thought that without the actual spell it was just a reading of surface thoughts. If so, how did Harry summon memories of Calypso?

10. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I suggest you re-read Chapter 10: Summer of the Mind. It explains Snape projecting emotions to summon associated memories. In the case you quoted, Harry used fear.

11. SorrySight

SorrySight First Year

But Snape also used the incantation. The only mentions of projecting emotions is when using legilimens. Legilimency without is mentioned as.

12. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

Not outright stated in the fic but earlier in the thread someone suggested that Druella was Romulus sister, and Santi confirmed it. Here.

As for the chapter, I agree with blazzano's reasoning regarding Harry's use of the cruciatus, needs more emphasis on everyone else crapping their metaphorical pants.

Also agree on what others have said about the general bipolar wtf'effery of Romulus, doesn't make sense to me unless it's an attempt to push Calypso away, outside of Voldemort's sphere of influence.

The M/S Harlypso is listing! Hopefully Calypso will woman up and have a serious conversation with Harry, she's gotten all the prodding she needs from Fawkes and Romulus, time to to be completely honest for once before their relationship completely capsizes.

13. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

About Harry deciding to use Cruciatus: were we even reading the same scene? Calypso has decided and Harry just didn't disagree/was in no condition to disagree.

14. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

The Cruciatus can easily be tweaked into making sense under the given circumstances.

It fails as a "finishing" curse, as Taure (I think it was him) pointed out, but it works great if you want to make a point. That didn't seem to be Harry's intention in that scene, granted, even if it was the outcome -- but if it was, I don't think there'd be anything to complain about.

15. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Actually, it works decently as a finishing curse against most people if held long enough, given the muscle tremors/seizures it causes. Harry's just a resilient bastard, and an exception to the rule.

16. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

I agree with Sesc. Nothing would make a statement of do not fuck with this person, than a 4th year casting the Cruciatus curse with more than moderate success. The psychological factor of someone willing and capable of torturing someone is pretty significant.

17. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I've been reading Romulus as trying to mold Calypso into the kind of woman he wants her to be. He acts in a calculated way around her to provoke the response/attitude that he desires to see for whatever reason. I think his actions outside of interactions with Calypso more accurately reflect how he actually sees his daughter.

I.e. He's really harsh with her but mostly because he thinks it's good for her and he brags about her when she can't see.

I could be wrong, but to me that interpretation came naturally.

18. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

@T3t:
    The point was that there were lots of people around, the Cruciatus targets only one, that you can't know how long is "long enough" beforehand and that it leaves you entirely open for attacks meanwhile. So it seems like an odd choice in that situation.

With which I agree -- but with all the associations that go with it (Unforgivable, the one Big Bad Curse that is so horrible you get sent to Azkaban no questions asked etc.) it can be useful still. It's like kids doing a mock battle with toy pistols, and someone suddenly pulling out a real-life machine gun. It shows now you're getting serious. That's certainly one way to stop the fight, only that wasn't explicitly stated to be the reasoning at that moment.

Edit:
    I guess I'm nitpicking at a single line. Calypso says “No more holding back, Harry. Viktor's outnumbered, and you're too injured to keep going much longer. We need to finish this. Now.”

Change that to "stop this" or "make a point", and it goes down fine.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  19. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

You forgot about pensieve, here it can be used in court. (From chapter 3:)
    About last update, it was little chaotic especially that fight. I don't know it was done on purpose, but I have problems with understanding progress of it. Also Harry had and his big jump with his Cruciatus abilities, being able to cast it on frog isn't equal to doing the same to follow student. I think it would look better if he tried but wasn't successful, with Calypso saying "Harry you have to mean it" :)
    Looking forward for next chapter and some action in Hogwart.

20. syed

syed Supermod

So Harry is on his way back to his Alma Mater, where he has less than a day to figure out a way to get his name into the running. Once, he realises all he has to do is get his name in the goblet, his plan is distilled to one simple objective.

One option, get his name put in to the goblet just before or after, it is placed inside the age line. Just sneak up to the person carrying it to and from the hall, then surrepstiously slip it in. If it is Dumbledore, he could fake wanting to talk to him him long enough to get close and distract him.

One important fact to consider, he is going to annoy and anger so many people and parties anyway in putting his name in anyway, he might go the whole way and purposely break the age line enchantment. While it was made by Albus and the elder wand, it seems to be a way to block children, not exactly advanced ancient magic. Sure, its possible that it allows other kids to put their names into it, but if the judge is a true impartial judge then it wont matter who puts their names in, the best candictates will be based on skill. If he use aqua eructo, could he disrupt the line long enough to enter himself and Calypso, also I am sure he must know other destructive magics.

Another method would be to enter the circle, without crossing the line. We know from the books, small circles can be created to allow for apparition within the castle, so if they create two, one to leave, and one around or on the age line so safely jump directly to the goblet. Could create the circle at night to avoid witnesses, or simply in a near by broom cupboard.

It seems to me, Albus must have put a shield on the goblet to stop names being thrown in, but the stool or what ever is used by the goblet as a stand. So levitate the stand, or use a sticking charm to drag it out of the circle.

So out of his family, and former teachers, none of them have the slightest clue that instead of coming with the delegation to spend time with his brother, he is instead attempting to illegally enter an International Wizarding Competition that he spent months training for? Come on, someone at least has to have some suspisions?

The final option, I can guess the enchanment of an object to allow him to pass unhindered.

WHy would he have influence over fire magic, to do that he must have been attempting Fiend Fire? He was using Aqua Eructo so he would instead have greater power and control over water magics. Either this is a minor error, or Harry is attempting to master fire elemental magics as well.

Not open for further replies.