1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Raku

Dark Raku Second Year

Perhaps Dumbledore didn't actually see through it though. Perhaps he was just fibbing.

But undoubtedly, the idea of the Hallows came later and by that point JKR could hardly rewrite what had already been writen.

2. 4arms

4arms Second Year

I was wondering...neither James nor Harry knew that the cloak was a Hallow, they both thought that it was venurable and penetrable through the Map and Dumbledore...and since they were the true owners the cloak seem to incline to their thoughts.

In 7th book Harry had realised that the cloak was invincible and undetectable thus the cloak was able to save them when they tried to enter the school

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't see what the existence of exceptions to the cloak's powers has to do with whether or not it's a retcon.

As we've discussed many times, the Tale of the Three Brothers is a wizarding myth. The Hallows exist, yes. But the myth is not true. The Hallows didn't come from death. The wand is not unbeatable. The cloak is not perfect. The stone cannot truly bring back the dead as they were in life. They're not three connected items. Mastering all three does not grant you any special powers.

They're just three unique and quite powerful magical artefacts that were created by three brothers which made their way into a myth. That's all they are. That's all they share in common.

4. 4arms

4arms Second Year

Guess you are right...I just wondered why Harry was worried in the 4th book, Harry-Snape-Moody/Crouch scene where Harry was nearly caught by Snape.

5. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sniped, missed the next page -.-.

6. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

So, I've been re-reading this for the past few days, and it holds up incredibly well the second time. The progressions (in character, relationship, mastery of magic, etc) are very smooth and beautifully controlled, as well as always coherent. The plot moves along at a good pace; reading the story as the updates come out makes it seem slower, but in one go it works well. In particular, I'm a huge fan of the detailed and consistent magic system the Santi is creating from what little we know in canon.

On the negative there's not much to say. The characterisation of Lily and James is weak, in my opinion. Lily in particular seems to have few discernible traits; she's a slightly overbearing mother and an excellent witch, that's about it. James likes Quidditch, and leaves the heavy parenting for his wife to manage. Both their dialogue tends to be stilted.

There are a few recurrent mistakes: 'Grodric's Hallow' instead of 'Hollow' is one that grates me particularly. There's a slight overuse of commas; this normally wouldn't bother me, because I do it as well, but things like this really break the flow of the writing:
    The extra comma between the adjective and the subject appears several times as well.

Looking at the story as a whole, there's a couple of things I hadn't paid too much attention tothat I'm now curious about. I hope this isn't the last we hear about the memory Ivan (may have) implanted in Harry's head; at this point that particular twist hasn't been relevant to the plot, and it's too weird an event for it to not come up. For that matter, when it does come up, I hope Ivan himself starts playing a larger role as a possible antagonist.

The second thing is that I hadn't realised just how central Grindelwald has been to this story. The Santi has gone to great lengths to establish him as a real presence in the story, even though he barely appears. The magic he learns, the records he surpasses, the boundaries of magic he'll hopefully try to expand: Grindelwald is the person in whose footsteps Harry is treading. I expect Harry to learn more from him indirectly; I'll be disappointed if they don't meet eventually. All of this is wild, premature conjecture but I would love it if Harry were to break him out of Nurmengard and learn from him directly. He does need to become infamous at some point...

7. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

In regards to him 'needing to be infamous', I think I'd rather it be of his own merits, rather than through the fear of what he unleashed upon the world.

8. syed

syed Supermod

I have an explanation for why the map worked on the cloak, James was the master of this Hollow so when he enchanted the map, it allowed it the capacity to perceive a person under it.

Just wondering, hearing and smells may allow a person to be discovered but not magic, does that mean the cloak could actually hide a person from things like dementors, that use magic to detect things.

Best bet for Harry interacting with Gellebert, is that in the Grindleward room, the complete works and personnel notes are hidden somewhere. Makes sense we know that albus use to have a book of their work. The Durmstrang school was like his personnel fortress, so likely to keep all his good stuff there and where better than his personal study.

Say Harry borrows the cloak for a while possibly to examine its magic possibly to add more enchantments, but it allows him to pass through what ever magics used by the Elder wand to Hide his secrets, or leave him unaffected.

His claim to fame, the completion of Grindlewards magical theories.

9. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

That seems a little too much like those shitty stories where Harry finds Slytherin's library in the Chamber of Secrets. The Santi has done an admirable job of avoiding those types of clichés, so I can't really see that happening.

The explanation for why the map works despite the cloak seems somewhat plausible though.

10. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Actually, I agree that there may be something "cool" hidden in Gellert's rooms that nobody has found yet. We know that people who tried to break his enchantments ended badly and later everybody avoided doing anything with them. But for Harry to find this mysterious stuff, he will need to be very skilled on his own already (6th, probably 7th year), so whatever it will be, I see it as minor bonus rather than major level up in his power (maybe it will even be a knowledge outside of magic, something like a copy of the book that Albus destroyed?).

11. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

WHAT. It's Gellert's copy of the diary detailing their adventures in buttsex. You know it is. Do Not Want :/

12. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Albus's Ass and Gellert in a G String, Volume 8. The one with the scat.

brb, leaving before the projectile vomit builds.

13. false morality

false morality First Year

I totally agree, I could see that as something Santi would do, I wonder if Harry would confront DD?

14. syed

syed Supermod

What if being the direct descendant of one of the three brothers, would that allow special privelages concerning being affected by the power of the Hollows, that only this bloodlineare thier true masters.

15. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not as far as we know. The cloak was handed down the line, and the same for the ring, but Harry managed to get the ring to work and it's not the case for the wand no matter what.

16. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

It seems to me that the elder wand, being a wand, is the only hollow with any concern for it's wielder. James owning the cloak should be irrelevant to the map's creation.

17. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

This. I've said before that I wouldn't be surprised to see Harry expelled from Durmstrang, ala Grindelwald. Their progression has parallels.

18. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Oh, god.

Hahahaha.

Are you serious?

The Elder wand is the least sympathetic of them all.

19. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

"Infamous" is a pretty strong word. The way I understand it, he's going to become famous for being an evil, dark wizard. Harry isn't evil, and I hope he won't become entirely evil, so I'd rather the reputation not be entirely of his own merits. Orchestrating a famous dark lord's escape from an impregnable prison is merit enough to me; that said there's plenty of other things he could do. Harry's weakness is how far he will go to learn magic and improve as a wizard - in a way, he's become very power-hungry - and I expect that will push him to go to the lengths he ends up going.

20. hgf

hgf Fourth Year

Clearly Harry is going to become infamous whilst fighting the brave Minister of Magic Tom Riddle aka Lord Voldemort.

Not open for further replies.