1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. 4arms

4arms Second Year

I have a theory that Harry will seek Grindelwald on the quest to find the Elder's wand...Incidently what do you think Santi will do with the Elder's wand-destory it using Albus' plan or make Riddle the true owner f the wand?

2. Shymer

Shymer Third Year

My theory about Harry being infamous: Harry will be confronted to a difficult choice and between two evils, will choose what he considers the lesser one like killing ten to save hundreds. (Think OldHarry in The Unforgiving Minute.)

It will still be considered an evil thing. When you add that people are stupid when they are in a mass, Harry will be labeled a Dark wizard.

3. elflorddobby

elflorddobby Second Year

I think he may become obsessed with learning magic to such a degree, that he completley looses his morality, kinda like voldemort, and will start to think along the same lines as Grindelwald, that muggles should be subservant to witches, and wizards everywhere

4. 4arms

4arms Second Year

I differ with you Elflord....Harry wont do that to muggles. the fact that he celebrates his b'day by making a wish and blowing the candles(muggle way) is proof enough - even Nathan tries to differ in that point. There might be an instance where killing would be the only option to save Nathan or others (or something- as he did in the last chapter) and other might look it as a evil thing

5. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

This is just fucking retarded. Harry's obsession with learning magic and being the best leads him to cross boundaries that his family and the general wizarding world consider Dark and evil, but he's not stupid enough to kill human beings for the sake of learning. He knows that there would be consequences far worse than his family's disapproval.

6. false morality

false morality First Year

His mothers Muggleborn.....:facepalm

7. gullibleoats

gullibleoats Seventh Year

Well, at any rate, I'm thinking he'll kill Ron.

8. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

If Harry kills anyone from good guys, my money is on (spoiler alert - deaths confirmed by Santi, though it could change since when he said that)
    Hermione's parents.

9. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

:facepalmPerhaps I could have phrased that better. I'm not talking about actual sympathy. I'm talking about awareness of who is using it. The Elder Wand is like other wands in that it has a master and only works at its best when being used by them. The cloak and stone are just a cloak and stone. They don't take note of a master and work equally well for everyone.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  10. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

Not true, at least if Dumbledore in King's Cross is to be believed.

Dumbledore speaking to Harry: "But the Cloak, I took out of vain curiosity, and so it could never work for me as it works for you, its true owner."

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  11. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

Then I sit corrected. How did the ring work for Harry if Tom still lived? Unless it passes ownership like a wand?

12. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Rowling has never been known for her consistency.

13. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

Not sure magic is known for its consistency either, tbh.

14. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Writing an inconsistent magic system is stupid unless it's a plot point, just like anything else with inconsistencies.

15. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Just FYI, the phrase in English is, "I stand corrected."

16. 4arms

4arms Second Year

About the ring....Riddle had made it a horcrux and abondoned it believing it won't be need by him ever again as it was meant to be safe, but Albus had intervened in this plan and took it and thus became it new master...then he decided to pass on it to Harry.

About the cloak, James had willingly lent it to Ablus for a short time; so the cloak still remained under the family of Potters

IMO anyway!

17. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

True enough, you can't disprove the idea of additional powers for the Cloak if you're the "appropriate" owner. But I'm inclined to think something else, because of a quote from Dumbledore earlier in the chapter:

Dumbledore could not have used the cloak nearly as effectively as Harry did, because he wouldn't have run into as many situations where he'd need to hide others with it. Possibly he wouldn't have been inclined to even think of using it that way.

Contrast that to Harry, who hid multiple people under the cloak in book 1, again in book 7, and probably many books in between.

18. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

It entirely depends on what you mean by consistency. That sometimes with magic A+B=C, and when you try the same thing for a second time you get result D=/=C is not something that’s necessarily bad, IMO.

19. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's amazing how much people have come to equate a Newtonian view of the world with the idea of consistency. The idea that the universe is a load of things bumping into each other according to purely determinate and mechanistic rules. The idea following from this that any change in an outcome must be explainable in some (perhaps unknown) initial condition being different.

But the real world doesn't even work like that. I have no idea why we should demand it of magic when we don't demand it of photons.

People need to get their heads around the fact that quantum mechanics isn't some kind of aberration that is going to go away. We simply can't keep thinking of the universe as essentially Newtonian/mechanistic, with quantum effects as some kind of exception that we can ignore.

20. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

To be entirely fair, in my experience most people only even kinda know what quantum physics is.

Not open for further replies.