1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. calutron

calutron Unspeakable

Nobody seems to want to think that maybe Dumbledore just lied and there is no way around the ward[except through Krum]. He really doesn't want Harry to compete.

2. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

I think Santi should have elaborated on the ward more. Ten possible ways to bypass the ward shouldn't pop into mind when the reading it. The very simplest ways to enter your name should be eliminated up front unless he's going to have Harry try and fail a bunch of times.

If that is the only way for Harry to enter and he doesn't want him to that badly then he should set up a ward just to keep Krum out after he enters his name.

The twins and anyone else likely could have bribed Peeves into doing it.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  3. Amoral Philosopher

Amoral Philosopher Seventh Year

I personally would like to see Harry try to find another way around the age line, fail, say screw it, have Krum enter his name for him, and ultimately end up being selected as champion. I simply enjoy the thought of Dumbledore going through the effort of having his conversation with Harry, only for him to turn out to be completely wrong in the workings of the Goblet. I like the idea of showing that Dumbledore is not quite as infallible in his knowledge of magic and magical artifacts as he is made out to be in so much fanfiction. It would be a nice way to take his legendary status down a notch and make him seem more human.

4. PomMan

PomMan High Inquisitor

If this did end up happening, it could cause Harry to lose faith in the man who he sees as knowing more about magic then anyone else. Possibly a way to make Harry more susceptible towards Dark Magic and possibly leading towards infamy.

5. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

Since Dumbledore insinuated Krum could put Harry's name in Goblet but Krum would still be chosen champion, there's nothing stopping older students from putting more then one name in the Goblet. Sure, they might think doing so slightly decreases their chance of being chosen, but it's nothing a friend wouldn't do.

The real question is, since Dumbledore is aware of this very obvious loophole then why hasn't he closed it? Or maybe he has. Maybe that spiel about how Goblet chooses a champion was just a bunch of bullshit. Maybe Dumbledore has already enchanted the Goblet to automatically disqualify students that don't enter their own name - or the Goblet already does so because of its own properties. If so, I'm not sure why doesn't he just come out and say so.

6. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

This is the first chance I've had to reply to the latest update.

In this case they are. The ship travels underwater the entire way, and it seems that it may be travelling deeply enough that water pressure is a problem.

protective spells that kept the water from crushing them as they traveled beneath the waves

Aside from that, I generally agree with your post. Harry was all over the place in this piece. It's the first time he's ever come across as an annoying little turd to me. I wanted to slap him upside the head.

Harry often thinks of Albus as his grandfather or as a grandfatherly figure, but this is the first time [that I recall] that he's actually called Albus anything like "grampa" or "grandfather" out loud. It was quite disconcerting to hear it. Have Nathan and Harry called Albus "grampa" in earlier chapters, and I've forgotten?

7. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I think you haven't spent much time around fourteen year olds, particularly precocious, self-absorbed ones like Harry. To me, his behavior in his meeting with Dumbledore, following a stressful journey to the castle and a return to the place and people responsible for many of the worst episodes of his life, something which would cause anyone to drop their guard a bit and be a little less in control, lends authenticity to the character. He may be light years ahead of his peers in ability and drive, but he's still a fourteen year old.

Harry's development has to be authentic if this is going to be a satisfying story in the end with a character who isn't a Gary Stu. That means he's going to act like a twat as a teenager every once in awhile.

8. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I have, and that's why I wanted to drop kick his arse. I'm used to Harry generally being better than annoying 14 year olds in real life.

9. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He is better. He's annoying in a much classier way.

10. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

No. In this case,he was just annoying.

11. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Everyone, living or dead, has been annoying at some time or another. Especially as children.

Properly developed characters will sometimes not be perfect.

Sure, it might not be the most fun moment to read for some, but so long as the character isn't constantly annoying I see no reason why the author should change the story so that the character is never anything but perfect.

I personally enjoy realism. Characters that come across as real people are fun to read. To an extent, of course.

12. Amoral Philosopher

Amoral Philosopher Seventh Year

I'm sorry to say, but it is simply impossible not to be annoying at some point when you are 14 years old. That is a very hormonal time in a young boy's life and it helps influence you into acting like an ass every now and then. By Santi having Harry act the way he did, he is helping to remind us that no matter how mature Harry acts at times, the fact remains that he is still a hormonal teenager that is bound to act out on occasion. If Santi continues this story on after Harry's seventh year and graduation, he is setting up a good foundation to showcase Harry's emotional growth over the years as he grows into a man. In the end, I think it would be far too Gary Stu and unrealistic for Harry not to have the occasional annoying moment at this early point in his life.

Edit: ninja'd

13. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

Plus he is an arrogant little brat - he's very good at magic and he knows it. We've also seen how he judges people by how much they've developed their abilities, so it's a pretty consistant attitude that is evolving as he grows older. Unless he gets humbled (in a potential public manner, relating to the source of his pride - not like the detention) his ego will continue to grow and we'll continue to see him act like this.

Mind you that may cause him to develop other characteristics - if his brother were to beat him at the Tournament for example. He couldn't mouth off so easily then, his jealousy towards him could increase and potentially even develop contempt for his brother's magic abilities if he gets beaten in a certain manner or by someone who uses simple means. ie. broom-flying, gillyweed

Hmm, speaking of the tasks, now I'm wondering that if Santi follows canon but with Harry taking Victor's place - would Crouch then try to Imperio him in the maze? That might be a way to get Cedric/Nathan to the cup while Harry is dealing with the Death Eater - maybe having to use spells that would make his parents inclined to remove him from Durmstrang? (if he was seen, that is).

14. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

I agree, but was it really necessary to make what amounts to the same point three times? Once would have been enough.

Just because Lily used it, that doesn't mean Calypso's father did too. I'm sure there are many other methods of protection. I imagine he used far darker magic then an age line to stop Calypso from going where he didn't want her to go.

Since Dumbledore possesses the Marauders Map, I don't think it will be as easy for Crouch to infiltrate Hogwarts as in canon. He might have to use a different method, so I suspect we'll see a different take on it. Personally, I'm hoping the story doesn't go the obvious route of having both Harry and Nathan in the tournament competing against each other.

Was Hermione mentioned so frequently because Nathan fancies Hermione, or because Hermione fancies Harry? Since Nathan's path is following canon, and canon Harry didn't have romantic feelings for Hermione, it's almost certainly not the former.

It's quite possible Hermione talked about Harry so frequently and passionately that Nathan just felt it natural to include her thoughts. Or maybe it's Nathan that wants Harry & Hermione together. He did jump to that conclusion earlier in the story. Although since Nathan has met Calypso and apparently likes her, that's probably not a strong possibility. Or perhaps it's none of the above and it was just Hermione talking with Nathan about his brother, but it seems like Harry's musing is included for a reason.

Either way, it lends credence to my suspicion that this story is headed to H/HR at some point. Which is fine by me.

Huh, I'd have thought Draco had enough fear of Harry and Calypso, particularly Calypso, that he'd leave them alone for the most part.

A hug? That's just strange. I think in canon they shook hands. I wonder if this has any significance.

I always thought a person had to be looking at a Veela in order to get hit with their allure. If so, maybe it'd be better to have Harry notice her when visually scanning the Beauxbatons students.

As others have mentioned, this did seem out of place. If Viktor was sitting next to him it'd be perfectly natural to mention it, but it doesn't seem like the type of information one would call down a table.

Again, as someone else mentioned, I think this might be foreshadowing Viktor/Fleur. I don't think I've ever seen it done before.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  15. cenares

cenares Fourth Year

After just reading The Santi's story, "Dark Lord Potter Part 1" I going to have to say that it has changed the way I will treat new authors. In a very short time The Santi's abilities have grown by leaps and bounds and and produced the likes of "Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived". I dread to say that I'm going to start being...nicer to even the most cliche fanfiction.net writers.

Dark Lord Potter Part 1 was literally one of the most cliched Harry Potter stories that I've ever read; to the point of almost calling it a parody. It had just about every cliche, bad idea, and plot hole that I could think of and some that I forgot even existed. Strangely enough it did leave me wanting more. I'm disappointed that it won't be continued and hope that after this story that The Santi either rewrites and continues it or simply continues it ignoring the inconsistencies. It truly is amazing how much he has improved.

16. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

If you think about it, it would make sense for the Goblet to be biased against people who don't enter their own names. It would be a simple, strong defense against people being forced to compete who don't want to enter (i.e. some asshole putting their name in the Goblet).

That said, I think it's merely a strong bias, not an out-and-out automatic disqualification. Ultimately, the Goblet has to choose someone. It will have to choose Nathan in this fic, if Santi goes down the same route of having someone Confund the Goblet into entering Nathan as the sole entrant of a fourth school.

As for why he didn't actually tell Harry any of this? It fits Dumbledore's character to be overly mysterious about it, IMO. This way, he still leaves Harry with a choice, and Dumbledore is big on people making choices.

17. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Cliche's aren't bad. It's all about how you use them. Go look at Catharsis by Nuhuh for example. Even BWL has it's cliches. Animagus forms etc. Cliche's are cliche because they are good ideas, the problem is is just that most people use them horribly.

18. cenares

cenares Fourth Year

Read the story and you'll see exactly what I mean. It was horrible and yet it was still entertaining enough that I enjoyed the story. It wasn't just a few cliches, it was a cluster fuck of them wrapped in what can only be described as the dark side of fanfiction.net, and I don't mean that in a good way. It did however provided a glimpse into how much The Santi has improved. I still liked the story, but I'm not unaware of it's major faults.

19. Aggrocrag

Aggrocrag Second Year

Santi - I may be completely wrong, but my impression is that in everyday speech, Grandpa/Grampa are less widely used in Britain than in the States. I lived in Britain, but it was 15 years ago, so again, I may be completely wrong. Compared to may fics, I have found this fic far more Universal English, but the Grandpa (Or was it Grampa?) really derailed me.

The Dumbldore scene seemed to switch tones really quickly, and Dumbledore seemed to speak a little "younger" than normal.

Keep up the Great Work.

20. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:

Why are you still talking about it? In case you haven't noticed, this thread is for Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived. Even most of the idiotic posters in this thread have figured out that much.

Not open for further replies.