1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Interview with Brandon Sanderson

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Lightfighter, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Lightfighter

Lightfighter Third Year DLP Supporter

For those of you who haven't read this yet, Sanderson gave an excellent interview in September about his various up coming and works-in-progress. This interview is spoiler free.

Talks about his thoughts on magic systems and world building, his new Mistborn books (!), Wheel of Time, Stormlight Archive, and a completely different book called The Rithmatist (which he apparently wrote back in '07 right before Wheel of Time came out of nowhere). I have no idea how he manages it all; the man's a freaking machine.

I know people have differing opinions on him, but I for one am a very avid fan. I loved Elantris (despite its flaws), Mistborn was excellent, and I think he's handling Wheel of Time very well, as well as can be expected (though Towers of Midnight was better than The Gathering Storm imo). Warbreaker was neat too (who doesn't like a free book?). Very excited for it all.

2. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

What he said about the "Alloy of Law" made me feel good. I was afraid he'd be dipping too much into the steampunk genre and I did not like that. Generally it has too much romanticism for my taste. Just another month... I do hope even this stand alone is an epic novel (both metaphorically and literally).

3. Lightfighter

Yeah, well, if Warbreaker and Elantris are any indication, I think we can be hopeful about this one! :D

4. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

How worth checking out is this guy?

5. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

He's pretty good, imo. He's got some great novels in the Mistborn series and Warbreaker (the latter is available for free online, from his website IIRC, so check it out and see if his style is to your liking). He's also done a good job so far with the final books of the Wheel of Time series.

Take a look at Warbreaker, see if you like it. If you do, pick up Mistborn. The latter two are good, but the first is pretty awesome and I'd highly recommend it.

6. Lightfighter

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (PDF)

Read this first, see if you like his style, as Moridin said. I highly recommend Mistborn too (first one is awesome, second one is okay, third is pretty good but the climax and ending are AMAZING).

7. Nae

Nae The Violent

One of these days I'm gonna check out his original works. The Stormlight Archive is at the top of my list. I'm not sure about Mistborn because I don't like the little I know about its magic system.

But yeah, he's a good writer. The Gathering Storm and Towers of Midnight both prove that.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  8. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Alright, thanks. I'll check it out, decent new authors are rare.

9. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

I honestly think the Mistborn magic system is one of the best just because of its originality and ability to apply sense to its practice (aside from it being magic).

10. Lightfighter

Have to second this. Admittedly, at first, I was like, "burning metals? meh." But I kept reading, and lo, it got amazing! Sometimes keeping the explanations of the magic system to a minimum to maintain that sense of wonder and you know, magic, are nice, but the explanations and science of it really worked with Mistborn. Which brings me to:

First off, digging the name, thought I can't believe you would so willingly serve the Father of Lies D: But yeah, like I said above, the system is really interesting and pretty convincing. Give it another try.

Nae
  11. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I posted right above you, you know. YOU EVEN REFERENCED MY POST. D:

On a more serious note, yeah, that's what I liked about Warbreaker too. Sanderson usually does a good job with expanding on his magic systems, although he's stuck more to Jordan's style in the WoT books.

12. Lightfighter

Hahaha ahhh sorry, completely forgot about Moridin's current position. I was still thinking Ishamael :sherlock:

13. Nae

Nae The Violent

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Moridin or no Moridin, there would always be a Nae'blis to serve the Great One.

14. gamingguru

gamingguru Fourth Year

Warbreaker and the Mistborn Trilogy were both good, and the ones I seem to see referenced most, but imo his best work is definitely the Way of Kings. One of my favorite books ever to be honest.

So yeah, Sanderson is awesome. Check out Way of Kings if you haven't.

15. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

I've only read what he has done with the WoT, and based on that he's a decent writer. Nothing special or that stands out. However, he has got some goddamn annoying foibles when writing prose.

Anyway...
    Anyway...
    Anyway...

As some have said, his own style outside those is a little different. Can this be verified from others? I've been curious about some of his own stuff, but his annoying little tidbits kept me from investigating.

16. Lightfighter

Bump. Another month, another interview. Really interesting stuff, this one is specifically about Mistborn: The Alloy of Law, which is due to come out on Nov. 8 aka tomorrow (!!!). One of his responses is super spoilerific of the orginal Misborn trilogy but he warns of it before so any newcomers should be fine.

Really looking forward to Alloy of Law, if it hasn't been made clear yet I'm a big fan of Sanderson. Only downside is there's a year wait if not more between all his books, which alas is the case with pretty much all fantasy authors :(

17. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

I'm excited.... rereading the first (and best) Mistborn book tonight.

18. syed

syed Supermod

Does any one mind if I discuss possible wheel of time ideas, stuff for MOL or simply some imagined future.

I wonder if the Ways have been cleared up some what, both the taint and Aridhol destroyed, much of what could have corrupted the ways is gone. THe only things left is the fact some gates may be affected by the blight, or the fact that the Ruby Dagger still exists. I am thinking that dagger will really hurt the shadow in the new book. What would its reaction be to the so called true power?

I dont know if the Ways link the other continets, but the portal stones do, so potentially trollocs could be invading in seanchan, shara and the land of mad men, they might even reach some sea folk islands.

19. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

This is a really good article, I especially liked

To think that one day we might have a Mistborn book set into such a far-flung future from the Lord Ruler's Ascension as to make the series sci-fi is a thought that deeply, deeply pleases me.

Also, I made a post in the Alloy of Law thread, I had no idea until today that many of his books took place in one universe, the Cosmere.