1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Homosexuality in fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by The Mysterious Nobody, Oct 19, 2011.

Not open for further replies.
  1. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

I don't have any particular aversion towards gay people and I don't consider myself an homophobe. As clicheé as it sounds, many of my closest friends and family happen to be gay, so do more than a few people that I don't like. But being gay it's not the reason why I like or dislike either of them...

...and yet, when I see the word "Slash" in any work of fan fiction, I feel the sudden urge to avoid that piece like a plague. I could argue that what bothers me is that usually, those works are filled with Mary-Sues, clichés, terrible plots, grammar mistakes and just plain bad writing, but the truth is that at least a few of them have to be well written. Still, I won't read them.

I realized that what makes me want to punch the author's ovaries in those works isn't that the main characters are homosexual, but that being gay is their whole character defining trait, and I think that's the major problem, not just in fan fiction, but in most of the other entertainment media as well.

Think for example Dumbledore; He is a very rounded out character, with many flaws and many merits: A grandfather figure for Harry, Headmaster of Hogwarts, one of the most powerful and wise wizards of his age, defeater of a dark lord, leader of the Order of the Phoenix, an odd, manipulative and meddling twat sometimes... And he happened to be gay. Just like that. it didn't change his character and it didn't take from his awesomeness. Granted, he's always been described as a bit flamboyant, but that was part of his oddity, and many more wizards were like him.

I wouldn't mind reading fan fiction about dumbledore, despite knowing that he's gay. And I don't think i'd mind it if it were Harry either if it was that way; An awesome character that just happens to be gay.

What's your take on this?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

I think you've pretty much stated most of the forum's opinion on slash.

Also eww y wud u put a dik in der maeks no sens man

3. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think you covered pretty much everything there.

Summed up my thoughts on the matter pretty much exactly.

The only thing I would add, is that I really don't have any wish to read about the protagonist shoving his dick up another guys ass. The squick factor is larger in the fandom, as it's more in your face.

If the slash is off the the side, it's not as much of a problem. However, when fanfic writers write their character to be gay, as you said, they let it define the character, as opposed to it just being another aspect of them.

4. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I just read Tina Fey's Bossypants and in it she tells how in her youth she realized something along the lines of "God made these people gay, but not for her own amusement". I kinda suspect slash is girls playing with literary dolls because they're fabulous. It's as immature as the stories about an OFC who marries Remus/Sirius/Bill/etc.

Unfortunately, being immature and badly written does not prevent some stuff from getting published. But it should prevent stuff from getting into the DLP library.

5. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

I might (when I eventually can continue them) have Harry gay in one of my stories, just to see if I could pull it off. There's a whole shitload of other stuff going on.

And I hardly think Harry in HPAC could be more hated that he is already LOL.

But it would be an interesting experiment. Remove the thirteen-year-old, sexually repressed authoress from the equation and see if it could work.

In fact, this reminds me vaguely of a plot bunny I had ages ago - a The History Boys story set in Hogwarts, with Dumbledore as the gay teacher. I only never wrote it in the bunny thread because I know nobody would ever write it, heh.

6. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

Well, that could also be part of the problem; Most writers don't seem to know how to show the "gayness" of a character without it ending in explycit descriptions of assbuggery.

Even then, it doesn't need to be violent or disgusting in any way. Take, for example, Apollo and Midnighter from Warren Ellis' "The Authority". They are like Superman and Batman, even more awesome, and they're a married couple. They're shown interacting like one all the time, and even having sex (implied, not shown on panel), but I've never felt the revulsion I've felt reading some slash things in the "Sick & Perverse" section of the forums.

[​IMG]

Two bearly dudes getting all cuddly may not be my cup of tea, but if it's well written, and tastefully done, what's not to enjoy? After all, a sex scene doesn't need to be "gay" to make me vomit.

7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, that's basically exactly what I was trying to convey in the paragraph after the one you quoted. You definitely expanded upon my point and provided nice examples however, heh.

8. Paradosi

Paradosi Fourth Year

It's less the fact that harry's gay in slash stories, it's more the fact that he's having his ass pounded by voldemort or draco in every chapter. In every few paragraphs even.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  9. LOUD-Noises

LOUD-Noises First Year

I'm fine with homosexuality and all.

But the reason I fucking hate slash in fanfiction is because 99.999% of the slash is made so that the author/readers can get off on it. Whereas is you see the smut to proper story ratio in het fics, it's better.

I'm all for smut but there is so much of it, that it is actually hurting the quality of fanfiction. In my opinion at least.

I'm probably being a bit hypocritical though because I have a fic floating in my head for the last few months, and it is fem/fem. :/

10. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

If it's from the main character, I do not want to read it. Well written or not, it's not what I enjoy reading.

Side characters, where it's an aspect of their personality rather than the defining trait, I don't have any trouble with.

11. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Pretty much this for me.

12. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

You know, someday I'm going to write a ridiculously awesome oneshot, said in a post-apocalyptic England after Voldemort took over and shit fell apart, where Neville and Harry act as the Duo-That-Lived and work to kill Death Eaters, Inferi, and Voldemort's army of dark creatures, using wands, goblin explosives, the Sword of Gryffindor, and Sirius' customized motorbike.

And the two characters will also be involved in a quiet, understated romance that is only suggested at, simply due to the comfort they take in each other being the last heroes in Wizarding England. The characters won't be defined by being gay - they will be defined by being a likeable duo of downright awesome heroes.

...actually, as a side-bar, why hasn't this already been written?

13. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Don't like reading slash in any shape or form, period.

14. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

You could argue that slash causes homophobia by being permanently irritating like spam. Following that idea all these confused fangirl slash writers with their anti homophobic chain letters could be part of a false flag operation.

P.S. That should deserve a medal from Stephen Colbert

15. thebrute7

thebrute7 High Inquisitor

I simply won't read slash at all. I don't mean to offend anyone, but simply the idea of Male/Male relations makes me throw up.
    It's a personal preference thing. I honestly don't care much for F/F in fics either.

16. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Anyone that picks up Homophobia for something so trivial as retarded people on the internet writing their favorite characters in a juxtaposition of their barbies deserves to have their skull aerated with a pickaxe.

Cause its a terrible idea, but I wouldn't expect a Lily/Snape shipper to understand taste or common sense. D:

To be utterly truthful, Main or Secondary, I don't really care overly much. I've no desire to read graphic slash smut, but I'd read something with slash in it so long as it wasn't a fucking plot point. :| "ZOMG HER-MAN-O-KNEE! I R TEH GAY! PUT TITS AWAY!"

17. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Future DLP contest category: "DLP does slash"?

18. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Bwahahaha. You sew crazy, Taure. D: Get outta here.

...No. Seriously. Get out.

19. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Let's not, eh? How many contest entries do you think we'd get? Silens might pitch one in, obviously.

...and yeah. If I wrote anything, it would be either horror or comedy involving somebody gay stalking Harry, not with Harry actually being gay.

20. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Fuck, no - well written or not, leave the slash to the sexually repressed fangirls (and boys?) on ff.net.

Not open for further replies.