1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Ventrilo

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by BioPlague, Nov 2, 2011.

1. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

I purchased a 35-man server for DLP for a year. So hopefully this will get some use or I will hate you all. I've set up two League of Legends channels for the time being. If anyone else needs a specific channel for something, just shoot me a message.

Information
    Server Name: iodine.typefrag.com
    Server Port No.: 8126
    No password at present.

Don't have Ventrilo? Download it here. In short, it's a less laggy version of Skype that isn't a resource hog and which adds the amazing ability of push to talk. Unfortunately, it doesn't include a webcam function which is really essential when playing a game.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  2. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

... Doesn't Raven already have a vent server up? o_O

3. BioPlague

The one from 2008... or did we have another one I missed?

4. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I swear he still had one up... @_@ Used ti recently... Or Recent ish. 2010-ish

5. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Huh. I use TeamSpeak for clan gaming on L4D2 and its pretty boss. Is Ventrilo better than TS?

6. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

A friend of mine I was talking to today said that Teamspeak 3(I think he said "3") was basically Ventrilo-plus, as far as options and audio-clarity was concerned, as well as being free. Of course, it's in Beta, and the previous Teamspeak wasn't free(I think), even if supposedly this one will be free after it's out of Beta too.

(I've only ever used Ventrilo, personally, so I can't really give an informed comparison myself.)

7. BioPlague

Basically the same.

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I've used TeamSpeak, Ventrilo, and Mumble. I found Mumble and Ventrilo to be roughly the same, with Mumble having slightly better audio quality but Ventrilo being simpler/more prolific.

Teamspeak was by far the worst of the bunch -- when I used it. I haven't used TeamSpeak in years whereas I have used both Vent and Mumble recently, so it's technically possible that TS is as good as or better then the others these days.

9. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I haven't used TS recently, but I have heard that it's a lot better than it used to be.

Ventrilo is the best, mostly because of it's simplicity, and the fact that it's the standard in most places.

I've used Mumble as well, better voice quality, but a lot more annoying to setup properly.

10. DvorakQ

DvorakQ Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Mumble is Really good. Open Source means no licensing fees, so the servers will be cheaper to rent vs ventrilo. Great latency, less resource hogging vs skype. However, still buggy on some setups. Has a lot of awesome functions that other clients just don't have.

For example, it does voice positioning for FPS's and you can hear your teammates speaking from your flank etc. Also has the best overlay function I've seen yet. Will not run on punkbuster games tho(overlay function at least). Its like the zune, lotsa functionality but less pretty. Other functionalities include, tying it to a forum (hint hint) that automatically pull forum avatars into your mumble overlay avatar. Theres also a functionality that allows users to create adhoc chat channels so people can make temporary subchannels on a need-to basis. Also, no need to hunt the loud idiot down, the voice equalizer is great on mumble.

Mohawk is good, less people use it but I've got some guildies that swear by it.

TS3 is really popular among the euro crowd. I use it alot for older games like Eve online. I freaking hate the attenuation protocol it uses with a passion.

Skype is great, lotsa people have it but is a resource whore. I dislike the always on function and the fact that the mute function is kinda buggy sometimes.

Vent is still the gamer classic. Lightweight, easy to use, and most importantly... a lot of people use it so even pubs will have no issue joining. Only problem is the latency.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  11. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

I don't know what you people are talking about with Vent being "easy to use". It's ridiculous how hard it is to turn that one douchebag down who is always louder than everyone else. Even if you manage to catch which person it is that was talking, you have to jump through hoops to turn him down and HOPE that you didn't go too far so you can't hear him.

Voice quality is also very poor compared to TS3 and Mumble, at least in my experiences.

Mumble's overlay and positional audio is amazing. When it works. (I think the trick is starting up the game before(?) you start Mumble.)

12. DvorakQ

DvorakQ Seventh Year DLP Supporter

You need to start up mumble beforehand. Any changes to the overlay settings needs a restart of both mumble and game client, which can sometimes be a pain.

13. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You right click the name, select the option and drag the slider? I do use a mac however, so perhaps the functionality is different?

14. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

It's not that hard.
    Right click on the name pick miscellaneous -> Special effects -> Select volume from the list of available mods to the right set the slider to something, ask the speaker with the low/high mic to speak again and adjust the volume % ( it goes from 0 to 800)

Regarding quality it has to do with the codecs you use. There are lots of codecs options for windows, if you want mac people to join though you'll be limited to SpeeX though.
    GSM 44KHz, 16bit: 8905 Bytes per second
    SpeeX 32KHz, 16 bit, 10 Qlty: 5520 Bytes per second
    Those are the highest setting for each codec.
    I've used both and I've never had any problem with quality or lag. The lag part may be because I live in a country with high Internet speeds though.

I've used Team Speak, Mumble and Skype too and I've got to say, I rather like Mumble, it's very nice. I hate that you can't use push to talk with Skype, it pisses me off so much when I have to listen to someones mom/wife/child yell in the background. Teamspeak has always rubbed me the wrong way, since the first version, I dislike it almost as much as I dislike Skype.

I hope there will be more people this time around, when Vash and I payed for a server, not that many people joined. :(

15. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

It's much different in Windows. (And Vent doesn't even work in Linux, last time I checked, LOL)

For a new user, that's like three steps too many.

I don't know what it was, but most everyone either had a buzz (that no one else could hear) or sounded robotic (again, no one else could hear it). Messed up Windows Codecs? Maybe. I'd like to think my Internet speed wasn't the cause...Can't get much faster than 20Mbps where I live. (I've been dropped to 15 since the last time I used Vent, so it'll probably be worse.)

16. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

It was probably the codecs then, it's server sided and if the admin don't know what they're doing and pick one at random you can end up with awful sound quality.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  17. coleam

coleam Death Eater

It's not your internet speed. I've used Ventrilo over 512 kbps DSL with no problems whatsoever.

18. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Thanks, Merrill. Good shit.

19. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Why do people not hang out here? :p (On the vent)