1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The "poor" Weasleys

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Mysterious Nobody, Nov 1, 2011.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Lens of Sanity

Lens of Sanity Backtraced

That has been copy/pasted into my notes. There is like a hundred stories I could write from that fucking badass idea.

Anyway, I've got the back of most of the people's points here, and it's probably all down to JKR not bothering to do much world building at all ... I mean the value of a Galleon isn't anywhere near consistent and telling the press it's supposed to be £5 is just wrong on so many levels.

Back to Rin's quote; think about it, if a person bought a hundred kilos of potatoes and learned a potato to sirloin steak transfiguration they'd be laughing

2. chazg

chazg Muggle

If you consider what a private school in England costs per year and the school supplies, you can make an assumption that the Weasley's make enough money to survive but do not have any extra until the kids are out of school.

3. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Tuition's never mentioned in the HP books is it? Maybe they run the school by magic?

4. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I don't recall any mention of it. Considering how much authority the Ministry was able to exercise over Hogwarts when it really wanted to throw its weight around, it seems likely to me that the school is publicly funded.

5. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I could see it both ways, but I think there has to be some type of funding for those that can't afford it if it isn't publicly funded. After all, Riddle went there and he by no means had a lot of money.

6. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Maybe it's funded by purebloods and the MoM; the members of the BoG are mainly rich guys like Malfoy.

7. Portus

Portus Heir

Have we all forgotten D'dore's memories in HBP? As he's handing Riddle a bag of cash, D'dore says straight up that there's a fund at Hogwarts for cases like Riddle's.

8. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Pretty sure that money was to pay for his wand, books, magical supplies, etc. No mention was made of any sort of tuition fee.

9. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

The only quote touching on that topic is this, AFAIK:

And I always wondered why the Weasley's didn't get that -- but then, I suppose it's the same problem Ron displays in the books; not wanting charity.

In any case, it looks like Hogwarts does try to make it possible for poor people to attend, and we do know that children can have a fix spot from the day they are born (Harry has) -- but this could just as well mean that the fund is for a small number of people receiving scholarships, that Harry has the spot because he's the BWL, and that the large rest who isn't either famous or lucky still has to pay tuition or just can go there.

You could make either case (tuition or no) in a story, and I could be convinced for both.

Edit: Ninjad like whoa, of course.

10. Padfoot85

Padfoot85 Sixth Year

Pretty sure that with the large pile of gold in Harry's vault means that he doesn't have to worry about Hogwarts tuition. Wouldn't be surprised if James and Lily set up some sort of automatic payment plan. And that his name was down on the scrolls ever since he was born. Before the whole BWL tomfoolery.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  11. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

Why would they set up an automatic payment plan? Harry was one year old when they died. That would have been a little early. And even if they expected to die, which they didn't thanks seeing their fairly lax attitude, they wouldn't have expected Harry to outlive them.

12. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

IIRC wasn't the prophecy made before Harry was born? Also, what ViolentRed said. There's more than enough money in Harry's vault, the Potters hardly needed to worry about his payments.

Though, it doesn't say anything in the books, so maybe there's a direct debit system set up where Hogwarts withdraws the funds automatically?

Personally, I think the idea that it's Ministry supported works best, given the way OotP worked. It also explains how Snape became Headmaster even though the Order believed he killed Dumbledore.

13. Portus

Portus Heir

Just because the Ministry has its hands in Hogwarts' business does not mean it's a free school. The idea of government being involved in an educational institution, and that institution still having a cost to the student are not mutually exclusive.

And IIRC, Rowling said in one of her umpteen interviews that not all magical children in the UK attend Hogwarts. Whether that means there's another, perhaps less-prestigious school, or whether she was talking about Muggleborns, or whether she actually meant it as an attempt at addressing the myriad magical population fuck-ups is unknown to me.

14. Vulcan

Vulcan Groundskeeper

Personally, I suspect a lot of Weasley's problems come from the poor money management. I mean, if you can't afford the new books for your children, who blows up the money on the trip to Egypt (PoA)?

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    dat 3 year necro.

16. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

[​IMG]

That's his second multi-year necro. I'm honestly kinda impressed.

17. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm honestly impressed that he's still around after two multi-year necros.

18. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Generally danger and higher education go together well to make lots of money. Deep sea welders for example who work on oil rigs generally make $200k only working 6 months of the year.

---------- Post automerged at 00:50 ---------- Previous post was at 00:48 ----------

Sorry guys, I saw the date Nov. 7th next to a post and I assume it was this year -__-

Necroing an already necroed thread...

19. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Raised from the Second Death. Now you're screwing up my theology.

20. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

So what, Kingsley is black, too, but no-one gives a damn, since he's pureblood (and in the films he's wearing somewhat North-African garb). In the books there is no bigotry except pureblood supremacy (and, according to JKR, there's no homophobia, either).
    ======================================
    Their house looks, like it is hold together by magic alone, all of their stuff is second hand, but this is probably (just my conjecture) at least partly the consequence of poor bookkeeping (they win money in a lottery or something and blow it on holidays in Egypt. Dafuq, habibi??).

Not open for further replies.