1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

I hope I'm not the only one who forgot about Nathan entirely >.>

I went into this update expecting to read about Harry's magical attempts to bamboozle the Goblet and instead was reminded that he has a brother who wants to spend some time with him and just hang out. I thought it was extremely interesting seeing their differing priorities.

Not a fan of the detention memory thing though, but I'm sure it will play out in a way I haven't imagined.

2. Amoral Philosopher

Amoral Philosopher Seventh Year

Personally, I would like to see Harry ultimately fail with all his ideas, not be able to enter his name in the tournament, and, to add insult to injury, have Calypso be chosen using Harry's original idea of having Krum enter for him. I can just see Harry's speechless expression and Calypso telling him "I told ya so". Then I would love to read a scene of Harry going up to Dumbledore and being like "wtf?" Dumbledore would proceed to rub the back of his head in embarrassment and give a "my bad".

(Please note that I am only joking about the exact wording of what everyone would say since I am aware that it would all be OOC. I just thought it would be funny).

3. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

The whole set-up seems like it could have been resolved in a way that would emphasize Harry's cleverness above anything else. He wouldn't have to beat Dumbledore, he wouldn't have to let anyone rape his mind, or make any friends take any unbreakable vows. Why doesn't he just get someone to enter his name, under a school with no other candidates. That, more than anything else, is what gets Harry into the tournament in GOF. If it takes a powerful Confundus charm on the cup itself to accomplish the task of convincing it to let in more than three participants, that seems to me to be well within Harry's ability to cast.

It may also be a way to prevent Nathan's entry into the tournament, if Harry gets to the cup and confounds the shit out of it before Moody can get to it.

While it may not be brand new, having Harry figure out that loophole would have fit in with Harry using his wits as his most dangerous weapon, beyond even his magical talent. It would be a way for him to outsmart Dumbledore without something as questionable as out-warding him.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  4. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

You bring an interesting point to the table with this. In canon, Dumbledore assumed that his enchantments would be more than sufficient to keep underage schoolchildren from entering. However, in Santi's story Dumbledore is perfectly aware of Harry's prowess and his great desire to enter the tournament. Perhaps this would lead him to increase the defenses?

Harry may not have thought to confound the Goblet because he figured that if he attempt to break the ward was insufficient, any enchantment on the Goblet itself would be just as futile. If Dumbledore's thinking of every mode of attack holds true, then the defenses on the Goblet itself should be likewise increased.

This, to me, would be an excellent chance for a divergence. Crouch fails to enter Nathan due to increased Goblet security.

However, for the sake of conflict in the story I doubt that this will happen.

5. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

How would Harry confound the Goblet if he was unable to get to it? You know, because of the Age Line problem that your solution doesn't solve at all?

6. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

Go up to the line and use his wand?

7. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Still wouldn't be able to put the paper in the cup. The only reason this worked in canon was because Crouch was not under 17...

8. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Getting into the tournament is not an end all be all for Harry. One of his chief motivations is to show everyone at Hogwarts just how much better he is than them. He wants everyone to see him as the Durmstrang Champion.

Harry wouldn't consider entering himself under a different school because that's tantamount to admitting he's not good enough to be Durmstrang's champion.

9. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Except that if Harry could confound the Goblet, then floating the paper over the line and into it would work.

10. KrzaQ

No, it wouldn't. Confounding the Goblet would only increase his chances (to 100%) of being chosen, he'd still have to place a piece of parchment with his name in it somehow. And we already know that floating it over the line doesn't work.

@Santi: never thought of that, but it makes sense.

11. afrojack

Krum is 17?

I thought Harry would be able to approach the Goblet, since the Age Line is tied to the object itself? If not, then the aging potion would at least allow him to get close enough, perhaps at night using stealth, to Confound it and have a friend enter his name.

But Santi's point stands above that.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  12. KrzaQ

Fred & George managed to get close enough to the Goblet to throw their names in (although they were spat out later), so if it was Krum who entered Harry's name after Harry confounded the Goblet it could work, I think. But that way you'd have to dismiss Santi's point.

All canon champions (except Harry) were 17 at the point of entering their names.

13. afrojack

The only way I could see to refute Santi's point in this would be to argue that as long as Harry was actually in the tournament, magically bound to compete and all, with a chance at victory, he wouldn't care what anyone thought, as long as he knew with certainty that that strategy would work. He might reason that victory would prove him more than worthy in the end, regardless of the means he used to enter.

I know that I personally would have no qualms about using that loophole, since the age limit is somewhat broken in the first place. Santi's point really hangs on how much legitimacy Harry is willing to assign the idea of having an age line there. If he thinks it's unfair, he might not have any compunctions about subverting it in any way possible.

But Santi's point is quite reasonable, and these are only various ideas and suggestions.

14. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

15. KrzaQ

Chapter 16 isn't done yet, but tbh I am clueless as to how Daphne is going to play a role. Good find, though.

16. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Taure V2.0

On-topic: It says something about the state of my life that anytime I find an update to this story my day is 10x better. Good stuff as usual, Santi.

17. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

He's spreading... I fucking knew he's a zombie.

On topic, I really liked the bit with Nathan it'll be nice to see he and Harry getting more page time together.

18. Kalypso

Kalypso Second Year

Yes, I also liked the interaction between the brothers.
    How Nathan just wanted to hang out with Harry, but is willing to spend the day in the library researching to help him (as opposed to first year when he always went with Ron).

Hermoine seemed a bit in over her head in the discussion, it will be quite amusing to see the "cleverest witch" and know-it-all being outperformed by Harry and possibly Calypso as well.

When Harry was still in Hogwarts Hermoine was completely shocked that he earned the top spot in exams. When Harry went to Durmstrang she lost her biggest competition and now he is back and the intellectual difference between them is even more obvious.

The interaction between characters, their development and the subtle tensions are done extremely well and the best thing in this story, really great work Santi!

I just noticed something else, the beginning of the chapter is the evening of october 31st, the next section "when at first you don't succeed" is also set on oct 31st, but it beginns in the morning. Shouldn't this be the next day, nov. first?

19. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Overall, I like how the Goblet stuff is working out. It makes sense, and I think what Dumbledore said regarding it is interesting.

I'm curious, though; from the Goblet's POV, how does Harry now stack up against people who are of age and simply entered normally? Clearly Harry is expending great intellectual and magical effort to enter the Tournament. Is he now better off in the eyes of the Goblet because he was arbitrarily prevented from entering and got around that in an impressive way? So hypothetically, the rules/age line meant to prevent underage people from entering could have the opposite effect.

20. PomMan

PomMan High Inquisitor

You can actually remember that far back in this thread? There are over 5141 replies to this thread, and you remember one in the first two hundred?

Great update, as expected. Kira isn't going to remain Krum's girlfriend for more then three chapters.

Am I the only one that is really looking foreward to Harry's eventual confrontation with the Ravenclaws?

Not open for further replies.