1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Elder Scrolls V

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Seratin, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Testament

Testament Seventh Year

I got the Quick Reflexes perk in the Block tree (time slows down if you are blocking during an enemy's power attack), which was cool and all since you can interrupt most of those power attacks by shield bashing, but ever since I became a werewolf the slowmo lasts for ages. I can clear a room of 5-6 people without being touched when it triggers. Anyone else experienced this?

I'm hoping it's a bug because it's making things much too easy.

2. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

For mages out there: are you guys putting points on health/stamina? I'm thinking of abandoning my mage and becoming some kind of warrior. Mobs deal too much damage to me and i never hit them with my fireballs...

3. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I always put points in both, health and magica. So, while the bigger things can two-hit me, I survive most of the time.

Also a question to the people who follow the mages quest :

Did you guys kill Paratus Deciumus? The guy in the Dwarfen Ruins who wanted to report the eye thing to his superiors and who was a bit insane? I did but am not sure if there are any serious consequences.

4. Master-666

Master-666 Third Year

I killed him too and as far as i could tell, after completing the Mages guild quest chain, no adverse effects.
    On the mage thing, I've put most of my points in magicka with a few in health, the trick is to use your companions/summons as distractions, and the environment to play whack-a-boss.

I think my next character will be a Spell Sword, those conjure weapon perks look nice.

EDIT: If you'r using a mouse + kb go into the gameplay options and toggle off xbox controller, this is supposed to improve performance. For it seems to of got rid of that very slight stutter in first person view.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  5. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Just finished the Dark Brotherhood storyline. It's so gratifying to walk through town and hear guards and civilians whispering 'Hail Sithis' as I pass by.

6. Azira

Azira High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

7. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

That was a tricky one. I ended up luring him back to where the Centurion couldn't fit and just healing my companion while she took all the damage, throwing the occasional firebolt also.

8. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

When I go outside my game occasionally pauses for about 10 seconds then continues. It doesn't really matter what level of setting I have it just has to pause and then keep on doing pausing again a few seconds afterword. It happens alot more and longer when I'm around water. Anyone else have this?

9. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Odds are they aren't dead. I spent a good hour looking for them to no avail at one point, only for her to show up randomly in the evening when all the mages were leaving the Hall of Elements to head for their quarters. She's just a bitch to find.

10. chriar

chriar Third Year

For some reason I get the feeling that rolling a Redguard and using a shield and sword might not have been the best idea.

11. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Never go full retard.

12. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

So, after the obligatory "OMFG, WHERE DID THAT DRAGON COME FROM?" moment, I find that those bones weight a lot, and since I don't have the capital to buy a house and store them, should I sell them all?

Btw, this random dragon had me chasing him across half the map shooting fireballs, only to land near a bunch of crabs and staying there until I killed it. Guess he wanted his breakfeast.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  13. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you've enlisted with any guild (I picked the Companions) you should be able to stash some gear at their place. At least, that's the way it was done in the previous ES games.

14. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    just played for an hour or so, made it past the basic stuff in whiterun, in the ruins temple that the court wizard sent me to, pretty fucking awesome game so far.

15. coleam

coleam Death Eater

You can also use the pack mule (aka Lydia).

In other news, I decided I could live on ramen for a week or two and bought the game, thanks in part to all the glowing reviews on here. 11 levels (and 4 dragons) in, and I'm loving it so far. It's almost too easy to explore - I keep getting side-tracked when I go out questing.

I'm playing as a Dunmer spellsword; heavy armor, 1-handed weapons + lightning for the most part, with occasional bow and restoration. It's working out pretty well for me so far.

Couple of gripes with the game though:
    1. Random crashes. I'm playing smoothly on ultra settings (so I don't need a new computer), but I still get the occasional random crash to desktop with no error message. I've tried a couple different graphics drivers with no change.

2. Sound issues. Skyrim apparently doesn't like high bitrate sound settings. With my onboard audio, it crashes at the menu screen, and with my USB sound card (really glad I bought this thing - wouldn't be able to play without it), the sound gets really crackly if the sound settings are above 24-bit/48 khz. This is the only game I've ever owned with this issue.

3. I have a love-hate relationship with the horse. On the one hand, it gets me where I want to go faster and helps me move when I'm massively loaded down with loot, but on the other hand, it tends to run away if I leave it alone for too long, leaving me stranded in the middle of nowhere. Not a problem if I'm under max weight, but if I can't run, I have to travel back to a town with a stable to pick the horse up again.

16. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

Played all day yesterday. My character is a High Elf, mostly uses Destruction. Done a whole lot of smithing and enchanting, got inducted into the Companions, killed four dragons, learned five Shouts, started my education at Winterhold... and I've barely scraped the surface of the game as far as I can tell.

Sometimes I get a bit bored of dungeons. I'd like more quests in the open world. But regardless of that, the game is sweet.

17. Nae

Nae The Violent

Started playing today. Loving it so far. I've never been such a fan of open world games, doing quests and such, mostly because I like to finish the game. But Skyrim blows my mind!

Killing my first dragon was <3.

18. Arbiter

Arbiter Groundskeeper

Completed the main quest yesterday. It was badass. Also, at one point during the game, you do get a friendly dragon. :awesome

19. The Arid Legion

The Arid Legion Professor

Anyone remember that pic someone posted here a while back? The one with the dragons and the giant?

Well they forgot to add what it felt like after you'd killed your 20th dragon.

I'd put it at something like "Oh, look. Another one."

20. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I have to admit, I'm getting tired of hearing the same voices over and over. A little variety on the background NPC's vocals would have been nice, and from a game as large and detailed as this one, kind of expected.