1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DF Fanfic Ideas

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by ParseltonguePhoenix, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    @Mana we know rituals, especially ones printed in books, aren't very powerful by virtue of the fact that anything printed can, inevitably, be printed for other people too. And if multiple people can (or have) used the same ritual, it is weaker.

Rituals are like a slot machine, if I recall correctly. Coin (power) in, result out. I'm not sure how this relates to my point, but it seems relevant.

edit: Those are two distinct thoughts....

2. syed

syed Supermod

Has any one seen that really cool series THE LOST GIRL? How would the fae affect Dresden world. WOuld the Blood king, be incharge of the fae court?

How about an ALera COdex/DF story? Tavi and his forces finally defeat the vord threat, and peace is restored but not before the Vord using blood magics and furies to create gate ways into the nevernever, that now can never be sealed.
    So the first Lord representing Carna must deal with the various faction. His armies ensuring no enemy forces gain a footgold on his world. Makes alliance with the white council, while dealing vampires, demons and black magic.

There was this fanfic, where the nephelium were encounterd. As they were part of heaven, when the flood came, they were simply reincarnated in new bodies. A cool story would be these creatures returning to world, so a bunch of really powerful being changing the board game.

I like the idea of of a smalville Xover. Remember the witch was after the three crystal for the huge library. What if the fortress of solitude also contained a great deal of mystical knowledge. COuld clark powers be part of an inhereted mantle.

3. frodrick

frodrick Slug Club Member

About the people posting about the difficulties of getting someone to break the Seventh Law...it actually isn't that difficult. At all.

The Seventh Law isn't just about summoning Outsiders, or attempting to summon them. It covers merely trying to research or gain any sort of information about them. The chapter could be about a minor talent who avoids all of the pitfalls of the other "heroes" of the previous chapters, wonders if Cthulhu actually exists, and gets executed for asking around at Bock Ordered Books and the like. Or have him eventually get shunned for asking, be warned, get more curious as a result, etc.

On another note, we know that Bram Stoker was a White Court catspaw to destroy the Black Court. Butcher's told us that Lovecraft was onto something and was killed for delving. Who, if anyone, was Lovecraft a pawn of? The White Council (they did publish the Necronomicon to reduce the power of its rituals)? The Black Council (given a normal wizard's age, it could very well be)? The enemies that Thomas speaks of in the Oblivion War?

EDIT: How about a crackfic!Dresden/Captain Planet crossover?

4. Mana

Mana Disappeared

I should have been more clear. When I say a magical relative's library, I was thinking of a relative that does have a book with a ritual or two that still has juice, as opposed to the mass-produced things out there you'd find in an occult shop. Heck, the relative could be a vendor with a private stash, sorta like the guy Dresden got the Erlking book from, even.

Kid takes a part-time job at Uncle Billy's weird shop. He's taking inventory. Finds a book that he feels "drawn" to and starts leafing through it. He sees a ritual on summoning something, and though the big words mostly go over his head, he gets the general gist of what he thinks is the point of the ritual. "Neato, I can summon a side-kick!" He secrets away the book under his sweater, holding it against him with the waistband of his pants and finishes up his shift. Later on, he gets home and studies the diagrams until he's able to get a summoning going. He misunderstanding the ritual along with his childish desire summon a relatively weak outsider, hence why his immature will is enough to keep it from murdering him outright. Perhaps the ritual was even altered a bit as a result of his amateurish reading ability and complete inexperience with magic. It's a "lucky" accident that the ritual summons a noob-outsider that can transform a bit, instead of an explosion that takes out a city block or worse*.

Sorry for being vague :p

*Worse, as in the ritual actually working as intended and summoning something on the level of HWWB, or an Outsider focused on large-scale destruction. I doubt it would go like this. Or... perhaps it should.

5. disposablehead

disposablehead Seventh Year

Oh sweet baby jesus yes. The villains in particular, the "Lets burn a hole in the ozone layer, mwahaha" variety would be crazy fun to throw into the Nevernever.

6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Here's a quote from Blood Rites; Lovecraft was a pawn of the Council.

7. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think this would be awesome but you would absolutely have to take Clark from earlier in the series, by the finale he becomes retardedly powerful. I'm talking tossing planets the size of Saturn, vaporizing an entire rivers worth of water in seconds with his heat vision, hinted at being FTL and is at a minimum shown to be able to go inter-continental in seconds with ease, fairly close to flat out invincible, telekinetic, freeze breath powerful enough to create city wide blizzards in moments, all of the super senses, as I recall there was even a few incidents of precognition and last but certainly not least extremely high speed flight. Taken from the end of the series there are only a handful of beings in the entire Dresdenverse that could even inconvenience him. I think you'd have to go somewhere around the middle of the series to make it work, he'd be strong enough that a whole lot of beings would sit up and notice him but not so powerful that he just skull fucks everything.

8. syed

syed Supermod

Because of all the crystal tech, kryton had, some writers claim they evolved from crystaline life somehow, its how they gain energy from the sun. so could be unique creature from the NN.

9. Aekiel

High Score:
    There was an area during Changes that had crystal pyramids and extremely intense beams of sunlight that could melt steel.

10. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Well if we go with the idea that Clark is already an established power he could have all those powers. Just have to give him weaknesses that correlate to his powers. Say make his weakness to magic more pronounced so that while regular flames wouldn't even make him warm magical flames would burn him just as much ass any human. A force blast would have to be concentrated enough to break his bones because if it just pushes him then he won't take damage. Then of course the obvious he gets weaker the more magic has been thrown around an area. So if he decides to attack the WC headquarters the magic in the area would make him a regular human. So he becomes more like the Faerie Queens in that he is a beast he is most effective in his place of power and the further away from that he is the weaker he gets.

Also for another plot bunny it would be cool to see if there were Faerie Kings and whatever happened to them. Could be interesting to see if they were wiped out or if they are dormant somewhere.

11. Aekiel

High Score:
    Word of Jim has it that the Erlking is a King of Summer, and Santa Claus a King of Winter. They're not part of either Queen's court, which is why the Erlking could hunt in Winter territory during Proven Guilty.

12. syed

syed Supermod

So clark would be affected by magic like any other mortal, but not it effects. Enchanted flames would harm him, but flames not. Magic swords yes, not physical impacts.
    In some stories, clark get a krytonian battle suit. Could its unique crystal tech, allow for some magical resistance.

13. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I was wondering what type of hierarchy they had though. Like who the fathers and Lords would be. I'd say Jack Frost for Father of Winter but isn't he in Mab's court somewhere?

14. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    At least to this point in the series, we haven't really had any confirmation that the Kings operate in the same way the Queens do. Just one of each to each court and that's that.

You could always try making stuff up to fit what you wanted, of course. Oberon in particular could prove useful.

15. Aekiel

High Score:
    Well, the Erlking is King of the Goblins and a leader of the Wild Hunt, so chances are the Kings of Faerie are less seasonal attributes and more the personification of specific emotional states or themes. The Erlking is the passion and thrill of the hunt, and the proof that Summer is not always kind, while Santa Claus is the gentle snowfall and kindness to others of the Winter months. They're described as opposites of the Queens, in a way, since no one season is benevolent or cruel all the time.

16. GiftedMonster

GiftedMonster Squib

Well, I had a bit of an idea a while ago and I thought I'd post it here.

====

Molly Carpenter has just been sentenced to death by beheading. But the Merlin plays games reaching beyond the here and now. He saw an opportunity to bring Dresden into line but at a massive cost to Harry. And without thinking it through, with only the tear-stained face of Molly in his mind, he accepted it.

And what was this opportunity you may ask?

Should Harry Dresden take up the post of the Blackstaff, Molly Carpenter will be released into his care under the Doom of Damocles.

Now Harry has to walk the razor-thin wire of morality as he plunges into the world of murder, assassination, espionage and most terrifying of all, being a teacher.

====

I know this seems like an odd idea. But surely you can agree that Arthur Langtree is not only smart, he is conniving. So by granting Harry the post of the Blackstaff, he lessens McCoy's influence on the council, brings Harry further under White Council control...and gains the one being with power over the Outsiders.

Would make for a much darker next few books.

17. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I honestly can't see the Merlin giving a wizard who has already broken the laws of magic (on several occasions), and only gotten off on technicalities, the power to just ignore the laws. He may be conniving, but he would be giving a wizard who self-defenced his mentor to death, brought a dinosaur back to life, is in debt to the fae (although I'm unaware of whether the Merlin knows this or not), and has called up and sort of bound fae (Morgan sees Harry do this at some point, and comments on the legality of it. To which Dresden replies along the lines of "Meh, everyone does it, lighten up!"); the power to do all this without worrying about the consequences.

But if you could justify it well enough, it could be interesting.

18. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Why? Just use the way his magic weakness actually works in the comics. In the comics his magic weakness simply means that it will function where other things wouldn't. As an example say you have two swords that are both enchanted, one is enchanted to be unbreakable and the other is enchanted to cut anything. If you swing the unbreakable one at him it won't do a damned thing beyond not shatter like any other sword would however if you swing the second sword at him then it will cut him because that's what the spell was supposed to do. Not that it really means much since even in the show Smallville Clark heals faster than Wolverine when something actually injures him but still it would work.

To simplify, if its magical it can affect him but it has to be strong enough to overcome his natural durability and healing as well. It's for that reason that magic isn't an auto-KO, he's tanked a blast of pure magic powerful enough to level a small island nation while chained in a field of Kryptonite and walked it off inside an hour in the comics. His durability would again need to be toned down versus magic as you stated Lion but not nearly to the extent your talking. I really just wouldn't have any interest in seeing Clark just mysteriously lose his power around the Wizards.

As a tiny sidenote about the magic weakness that I always found hilarious, the best illustration of it you can find is in the Pre-Crisis Superman comics where Mr. Mxyzptlk hits him with magic sneezing powder. Since its magic it works and makes him have to sneeze and he can't control it so in the time it takes before he sneezes he flies to an entirely separate universe, scouts the whole thing out and sneezes so hard that he completely obliterates an entire solar system. He was so fucking broken back then xD.

19. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The reason why I said Smallville and not superman was to specifically exclude all the comic book stuff like that.

20. syed

syed Supermod

Imagine if Dresden visited smallville to deal with magical issues, and discover clark. He then introduces him to the supernatural world. Imagine it, before he knew his true origins, could very likly see himself as magical. Kryptonian tech is almost like magic tech. I wonder if kryptonite would be anti magic as well as anti kryptonian. Harry could eventually make clark his warden deputy, dealing with the monsters.